Windows 10: Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly?

Discus and support Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I am really baffled by the following situation. On Windows 10 Pro 1803 I set up tasks for scheduled scans and definition updates as follows: 1.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Rubi, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Rubi Win User

Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly?

Hi,
    I am really baffled by the following situation.

On Windows 10 Pro 1803 I set up tasks for scheduled scans and definition updates as follows:

1. Using Group Policy Editor I set up definition updates to run every 3 hours starting at 6am in the morning. The updates occur every 3 hours but not at the times I set up. There are also random, additional updates for the definitions.

2. Using Task Scheduler, I set up to run a quick scan once per day at 6:30pm in the evening. The scan did run but then almost 3 hours later, for no reason, another quick scan was initiated, but no indication as to what triggered this.

I found some older posts online that seem to suggest GPE settings are not being respected but I have no idea why or whether there is something I am missing in all of this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What possible fixes are there?

Thanks!

:)

Rubi, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Cos_ Win User

Windows 10 Windows Defender SCHEDULE "Definition Updates" & "Full Scan"

Windows 10 Windows Defender How to SCHEDULE "Definition Updates" and "Full Scan"

Please provide instruction here and not refer to broken incorrect articles about defender (there are at least 10 incorrect articles that do NOT address what needs to be done). There is a lot of incorrect and miss information out there on Windows Defender,
    a sign of an inferior product.

A. I'd like to SCHEDUE virus "Definition Updates" 4 times a day a specific times.

I have scheduled 4 "Quick Scans"
    1. One When Idle (which rarely happens)
    2. Three at specific times (which usually run near scheduled time, but they use one or two day old virus definitions)

B. I'd like to SCHEDULE a weekly "Full Scan".

I still can not find a way to SCHEDULE a "Full Scan" of all drives.

Defender appears to be significantly inferior to MSE. Check out what your defender is doing, I bet you'll find in runs erratically and with old virus definitions.

Cos_, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Cos_ Win User
    Windows 10 Windows Defender SCHEDULE "Definition Updates" & "Full Scan"

Thanks, but reply did not address question. I wish to SCHEDULE a "full scan", so far scheduling only results in quick scans regardless of frequency.

Also I wish to SCHEDULE updates. Currently defender is running ~ 3 scans a day for me, but it is NOT updating to latest virus definitions.

I do not wish to do this things manually.

As far as I can tell Defender is a significantly worse product than MSE.

Cos_, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly?

defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly?

1. Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly? - Similar Threads - Defender Scheduled Scans

2. Windows Defender Won't Auto-Update Definitions, No Options for Scheduling or Auto-Full Scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Won't Auto-Update Definitions, No Options for Scheduling or Auto-Full Scan: Hello. I see this question has been asked before by some users but they're always locked without resolution.Windows Defender at least on Windows 8.1 version is missing SO many important options. It claims it will auto-update definitions, but it never does. I always have to do...
  3. Windows Defender Scan Schedule

Windows Defender Scan Schedule: TWO QUESTIONS here... 1 Why is there absolutely no information in the "Task Scheduler" pertaining to exactly WHEN and HOW OFTEN the default/automated Windows Defender scans are run? 2 Yes, there are "Triggers" available to customize scan schedule. But does this cause the...
  4. Schedule Defender Scans

Schedule Defender Scans: No issue running at demand quick scans via Settings >Windows security>virus and threats >select quick scan . OK. Went to Task scheduler > windows defender to sequence a daily scheduled scan as per Brinks Tutorial and found this . [img] Proceeded to insert new scheduled...
  5. Scheduling Windows Defender scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduling Windows Defender scans: I'm not understanding how/if Windows Defender anti-virus, etc. scans operate. Does the User need to manually start a scan, from the various Scan types available in settings ? It's unclear. Can't find anywhere to examine previous Defender scans ....to see what was...
  6. Schedule Windows Defender Scan

Schedule Windows Defender Scan: Can I schedule a virus scan to run at regular times? [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/schedule-windows-defender-scan/eab2c9ea-4138-4a76-80d1-e0afa89c8f10
  7. Windows Defender stopped scanning / updating virus definitions

Windows Defender stopped scanning / updating virus definitions: Hello everybody, My Windows Defender stopped scanning / updating virus definitions, I've had to do these things manually since the Win 10 April 2018 upgrade. Re-installed the whole Win 10, didn't fix the problem. Today I completed the Win 10 October 2018 upgrade....
  8. Windows Defender Scheduled Scan

Windows Defender Scheduled Scan: How do I get Windows Defender Scheduled Scan back in Task Scheduler? I go: Schedule tasks > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender. I had been messing around with the scheduler trying to make it work properly. Unfortunately, in the process I...
  9. Windows Defender Scan Schedule?

Windows Defender Scan Schedule?: Don't know if this is just me or not, but: For the last month or so WD regularly hits me with the Yellow Warning Triangle to SCAN NOW. Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes days between these events. I don't know enough to be able to find the date/time of it's last scan. Not...
  10. Scheduled Defender Definition Updates Not Completing After AU

Scheduled Defender Definition Updates Not Completing After AU: Going back to Windows 8 I have created a task to manually update Windows Defender definitions on a schedule. This is fairly straightforward as detailed here Auto update Windows Defender and here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/update...dates-disabled. Today I noticed the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender randomize scheduled scans and definition update