Windows 10: Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Discus and support Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender?

I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for managing Defender called SCEP.

:)

win10freak, Dec 21, 2018
  2. mic1217 Win User

3rd party AV program

I'm trying to turn-on Windows Defender and I receive a message to uninstall 3rd party AV program. How do I identify the 3rd party AV program
    installed?

mic1217, Dec 21, 2018
  3. Le Boule Win User
    3rd party AV program

The message you are describing may be observed if another antivirus program is still installed or there are remnants of a third party antivirus program still installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b59cebc4f24/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device."

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...defender/e994f94f-92d5-4d44-9721-79c2a686ce24

You may want to try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include running SFC, scanning for malware with Malwarebytes and running the software removal tools for any security software (Avast,
    AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

And see Configure Windows Defender in Windows
    8, 8.1 and 10

If you can't resolve this issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Regards…

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/01/27/top-10-ways-pups-sneak-onto-your-computer-and-how-to-avoid-them/

Le Boule, Dec 21, 2018
  4. Freddy_ZA Win User

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

Should I uninstall my 3rd party AV protection & let Windows Defender do the job?

Hi everyone, recently Windows 10 installed an update, for the first time I'm recieving a notification from Windows Defender, just telling me that my real-time protection is being handled by another program (AVG Free Edition, also SMADAV for USB). My question
    is, would it be better for me to uninstall my 3rd party AV and use Windows Defender instead? Thanks!

Freddy_ZA, Dec 21, 2018
Thema:

Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

1. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs? - Similar Threads - Defender 3rd Party

2. Removed Windows defender using a software/program from 3rd party.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed Windows defender using a software/program from 3rd party.: Removed Windows defender using a software/program from 3rd party and now i cant install windows update. Tried all the methods available on internet to reinstall Microsoft Defender but failed each time. The reason i unistalled Defender was because it occupied a lot of ram and...
  3. Removed Windows defender using a software/program from 3rd party.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removed Windows defender using a software/program from 3rd party.: Removed Windows defender using a software/program from 3rd party and now i cant install windows update. Tried all the methods available on internet to reinstall Microsoft Defender but failed each time. The reason i unistalled Defender was because it occupied a lot of ram and...
  4. Can not install 3rd party program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not install 3rd party program: Running Windows 11 Single home user. Can not install any 3rd party program. Can simply not verify the installation start. There is no option available to put in the information. Can not see the ability to allow 3rd party programs at all. I simply can not change anything that...
  5. Can not install 3rd party program

Can not install 3rd party program: Running Windows 11 Single home user. Can not install any 3rd party program. Can simply not verify the installation start. There is no option available to put in the information. Can not see the ability to allow 3rd party programs at all. I simply can not change anything that...
  6. Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender won't turn off although I have 3rd party AV installed.: I am running Windows 10 version 20H2. and all the windows updates are applied. I also have a 3rd party antivirus Heimdal Home Pro - Thor Vigilance. When I look in "Windows Security". I see that Windows defender is turned ON, and THOR Vigilance is turned OFF. When I try to...
  7. Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.

Windows defragger vs 3rd party defragger.: Windows defragger always says i don't need to defrag so i figured i would download defraggler to see what it said. And it says on my one drive that it has over 75 thousand fragmented files, where windows say 0% fragmented. So which one do i believe windows or the 3rd party...
  8. Microsoft Defender and 3rd Party Antivirus:

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender and 3rd Party Antivirus:: If I download a 3rd party antivirus, Microsoft Defender turns itself off. How long can it remain in the off disabled mode before the software becomes outdated/corrupt and will not come back on if or when I uninstall the 3rd party antivirus? Can you leave it disabled for 6...
  9. certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’

certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’: Hello all, I’ve been looking around in certmgr.msc, and I’ve noticed “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and “Third-Party Root Certificates” folders. What’s the difference? Thanks, InternetLuke....
  10. Windows Defender or 3rd party?

Windows Defender or 3rd party?: Ordinary PC, running Windows 10 Professional ver 1803 I run some Adobe software. And it has a few performance issues. When I related the situation in the Adobe forum, they recommended completely shutting off whatever antivirus I'm using to see if that fixed the problem....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 3rd party antivirus vs defender

2. win defender vs 3rd party virus programs

3. Windows Defender vs 3rd party