Windows 10: Defender wants fast scan after every restart

Discus and support Defender wants fast scan after every restart in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I boot the computer running Windows 10 x64 DE 2004. I am logged with MS account and administrative rights. Defender Engine is 4.18.1909.6 In... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MuzunaSun, Oct 21, 2020.

1. MuzunaSun Win User

Defender wants fast scan after every restart

I boot the computer running Windows 10 x64 DE 2004.

I am logged with MS account and administrative rights.

Defender Engine is 4.18.1909.6

In infobar the defender security icon schows an exclamation mark, it recommends a fast scan.

I open defender and proceed the fast scan.

Defender security icon shows green checkmark.

I reboot the computer.

In infobar the defender security icon AGAIN schows an exclamation mark and recommends a fast scan, although i have scanned few minutes ago.

I open defender and it sais: last scan - not available.

defender 'forgot' that it scanned just few minutes ago.

Where does defender store the scan history?

Are there any services needed to be running to store this information?

Can i repair this myself or is an update needed?

regards

Max

:)

MuzunaSun, Oct 21, 2020

2. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Oct 21, 2020
  3. Brian Cab Win User
    Windows defender custom scan does not scan external drives

Hi Joe,

to scan external drives using Windows Defender, follow the steps provided below.

• Open Windows Defender.
    • Go to Settings tab.
    • Select the Advanced option.
    • tick the checkbox for Scan removable drives.

Regards.

Brian Cab, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Defender wants fast scan after every restart

On startup Windows Defender is not on and wants to scan

Hi,

To address your concern regarding Windows Defender, we suggest that you restart the Windows Defender Service with the steps below:

• Right click on Start and select Run.
    • Type services.msc, then press Enter.
    • Click the Windows Defender Service, and click Stop and then
      Start under General tab.
    • Check Apply and OK.

Update us on the result.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

Defender wants fast scan after every restart

1. Defender wants fast scan after every restart - Similar Threads - Defender wants fast

2. Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender scans are extremely fast, is this cause for concern?: I have used Windows Defender exclusively for over a year. It scans every day and they take 30 seconds on average. I have an i7/16GB RAM/SSD system and it is barebones (a dozen programs that I use and that's it). I seldom download anything more than the occasional pdf and...
  3. Automatic scan after defender update?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Automatic scan after defender update?: Hello, On my laptop, a quick scan is performed after each defender update. I wanted to set it up on the second laptop without Insider, which obviously doesn't do it, but I didn't figure out where to set it up. Please help Thank you...
  4. Windows Defender -Full Scan automatically restarting after virus found

Windows Defender -Full Scan automatically restarting after virus found: I performed a quick scan which found nothing,so decided to perform a full scan. After 5 minutes, the system appeared to have automatically restarted - is this normal if it finds a virus to remove offline? Unfortunately, my system went into that 'preparing automatic repair /...
  5. Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender using Quick Scan but I want Full Scan: I've scheduled a Defender weekly run (which wasn't easy) but I find that it's using the Quick Scan option. I'd like it to do the Full Scan option. I went to Microsoft's "help" pages but they just led me around in circles. I this possible? Or am I barking into the wind?...
  6. Defender offline scan will not start - after saying yes to restart now -and scan does nothing ?

Defender offline scan will not start - after saying yes to restart now -and scan does nothing ?: Hello I have Windows 10 Home " OS build 19041.610 " - have tried sfc /scannow and it found some broken registrys and fixed them.. ran again and says all good.... tried manually restarting after clicking yes to scan now and nothing and no restart, but just loads back up as...
  7. no history in scan history after defender scan 2x

no history in scan history after defender scan 2x: scan done..i watched it....no results.....eufi downloaded now says unknown update downloaded what is going on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/no-history-in-scan-history-after-defender-scan-2x/5b612db7-d14e-4fcd-9e63-f4c08e3bae64
  8. Windows defender fast scan on w10 v1903

Windows defender fast scan on w10 v1903: Good day Has anyone noticed that fast scan (or quick scan) isn't fast anymore? From less than two minutes on v1809 it has just gone to over five minutes for v1903. Anyone noticing this? 137703
  9. After Windows 10 Defender Scan, Laptop does not want to boot up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After Windows 10 Defender Scan, Laptop does not want to boot up.: Hello, Dell i7577 Specs: [Intel i7] [GTX 1060ti] [16 GB RAM] I have this laptop for the past 5 months. I ran Windows 10 Defender Offline Scan and the step required me to restart my laptop. After the laptop was shutting down for restart, I am unable to boot up again...
  10. Windows defender always wants to scan at 3 A.M.

Windows defender always wants to scan at 3 A.M.: I have set windows defender to scan every Wednesday at 8 A.M., which it does, but it always wants to scan at 3 A.M. every day too. Can some one help me? 23186