Windows 10: Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep

Discus and support Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CloakedPig, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep

Hello,

Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer - NOTHING worked. I tested the drive on MAC and it would go to sleep out of the box, without any additional drivers or software. So I made a clean Win10 install - no luck. Eventually I disabled Windows Defender Real Time Protection and viola - it goes to sleep after 10 minutes as it should.

The problem is, Windows Defender has to be turned off entirely: Real-time protection, Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic sample submission, Tamper protection; the moment I turn any of these on the disk wakes up. Excluding the disk as a folder doesn't work.

Is there any way to make Windows Defender stop bothering my disk? I'm using Win10 v2004.

:)

CloakedPig, Sep 2, 2020

2. my computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep

these computer won`t wake up after goes to sleep ?

oscarperezvc, Sep 2, 2020
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Sep 2, 2020
  4. Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep

external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep

1. Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep - Similar Threads - Defender won't let

2. External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode: Hi there! I have a problem with my external 1TB HDD drive. Since I got a new laptop for my oculus quest 2, I decided to store all the games on an external HDD, which is connected over a SATA-USB3 adapter. It works without a problem, but in some games, while im in a room for...
  3. External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode: Hi there! I have a problem with my external 1TB HDD drive. Since I got a new laptop for my oculus quest 2, I decided to store all the games on an external HDD, which is connected over a SATA-USB3 adapter. It works without a problem, but in some games, while im in a room for...
  4. Windows Update won't let PC go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Update won't let PC go to sleep: Hi, apperently there is a major issue going on for some time now. Everytime there is a Windows update waiting, my PC decides not to go to sleep anymore. Particularly the process "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe" has a problem with sleeping. Since i saw this issue being reported by...
  5. Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer -...
  6. Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep

Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer...
  7. USB external HDD keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB external HDD keeps going to sleep: I have a ThinkPad X1 6 gen for specs Currently I have a USB external HDD that keeps going to sleep. When I go to power options, there is no options for usb power however looking online I see that there should be. I've tried running some CMD commands I found online to restore...
  8. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...
  9. External USB HDD going to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External USB HDD going to sleep mode: I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10. It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and send us around things that people have already tried and it does not solve the problem. Just look at the blogs of the...
  10. HDD won't go to sleep

HDD won't go to sleep: I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem. My HDD setup is as follows: Samsung EVO 250GB M2 SSD - OS and apps Crucial MX100 512GB SATA SSD - Games Seagate ST2000 2TB SATA HDD - Media After configuring Windows...