Windows 10: Deferring Feature Updates has left my PC Unsecure!

Discus and support Deferring Feature Updates has left my PC Unsecure! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have my doubts that this will get bubbled up to the correct person but this seems to be a bug! I have a PC running Windows 10 that was still on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by protivakid, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Deferring Feature Updates has left my PC Unsecure!

I have my doubts that this will get bubbled up to the correct person but this seems to be a bug!

I have a PC running Windows 10 that was still on version 1803. This version reached end of life on November 12th, 2019.

I have updates set to automatic, but have chosen to defer feature updates for the max of 365 days to increase stability. When you chose this option you are notified that this will not stop security updates and will only apply to features.

The problem is that back in November of 2019 my PC should have upgraded to 1809 yet it did not. I checked today and Windows Update said "Your device is up to date" and below that "This version of windows has reached end of life, we recommend you update to get the latest security improvements.

So there you have it, a PC that's been online daily from Nov 2019 - Feb 2020 with no security updates! I then lowered the number of days to defer to 180 and what do you know? Immediately version 1903 started downloading...

The cause? My best guess is that 1809 was pulled and is no longer available to download from windows update. Version 1903 hasn't been out for 365 days yet so instead of Microsoft showing some sort of warning that 1803 was insecure, or simply downloading the next newest version, my PC just sat there. Why would Microsoft allow you to defer 365 days and promise the PC will remain secure if after 365 days the next in line feature update can't or won't be downloaded?! This PC was used daily so it's not like I powered it on after sitting off for months expecting it to work.

This behavior can probably be tested on any PC by installing 1803 offline from an old ISO, setting defer updates to 365 days, and then checking. This seems like something Microsoft needs to fix so that PC's are not left online, unsecure, like sitting ducks!

:)

protivakid, Feb 11, 2020
  2. tcebob Win User

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

Apparently, "defer" does not refer to postponing updates to a more convenient time. Microsoft's explanation:

• "Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn't affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."
    I had it turned on and wondered why no update had been done for over a month. It finally happened in mid afternoon when I stepped away for a break, and l had to wait quite a while to get back to work.

The best you can do is set Active Hours, which will postpone updates until a better time of day. Active Hours is a maximum of 12 hours. I've set mine to 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Sleep mode won't stop it. But I don't think MS has a way to turn on your computer.

tcebob, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Deferring updates does not work.

It's "Defer feature updates" not defer updates. In older builds I think it said Defer upgrades? It doesn't stop regular Windows updates. Click the blue "Learn More"

Defer upgrades in Windows 10

• Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

alphanumeric, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Teddy2016 Win User

Deferring Feature Updates has left my PC Unsecure!

Defer upgrades

Anyone know of a place that list the new Windows features available?

"Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent
    you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."

Teddy2016, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Deferring Feature Updates has left my PC Unsecure!

1. Deferring Feature Updates has left my PC Unsecure! - Similar Threads - Deferring Feature Updates

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Defer Feature Updates in Windows 10 Version 2004: Microsoft has removed the setting allowing users to defer feature updates in Windows 10 2004 but with this batch script you can defer feature updates. [media] 166275
  6. Defering updates leads to installation of feature updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defering updates leads to installation of feature updates.: Hello everybody, since version 1903, feature updates should no longer be installed automatically, instead they should be offered as optional updates. This works so far, but only if the option to defer updates regardless of whether feature or security updates is not used. If...
  7. Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year

Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year: According to this page Windows 10, version 1809 transitioned to broad deployment (Semi-Annual Channel) on 28th March 2019. I am currently running Windows 10, version 1803 with feature updates deferred by 365 days on one of my computers. This means I shall receive a feature...
  8. deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?

deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?: W10 Pro v1903 I upgraded to v1903 some week ago, and in the delivery settings I selected -as usual- postpone time for further updates/upgrades as long as possible (365 days, resp 35 days). Therefore I was surprised that yesterday an automatic update was taking place. That...
  9. It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10: Microsoft plans to finish the next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, sometime later this month. Windows 10 version 1903 will become available then at the end of March or the beginning of April 2019. First, to administrators of Windows who deploy it...
  10. Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10: How to: Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 How to Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 The Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features wont...