Windows 10: Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support?

Discus and support Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm on 1803 still. Support runs out in November, after which MS push an updated build on me. I'm wondering if that is going to to be 1903/1909, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ralphus, Jul 23, 2019.

1. ralphus Win User

Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support?

I'm on 1803 still. Support runs out in November, after which MS push an updated build on me. I'm wondering if that is going to to be 1903/1909, or 1809. Needless to say, I'd rather stay on the lowest supported build, 1809.

Will they push the latest feature update on me in November, or will I be updated to the oldest supported version?

In can anyone wonders why I don't want the latest build, I've had far too many legacy issues, among other things, when keeping with the current build. In my opinion, the regular consumer branch is open beta, and the more conservative business branch is stable.

:)

ralphus, Jul 23, 2019
  2. tcebob Win User

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

Apparently, "defer" does not refer to postponing updates to a more convenient time. Microsoft's explanation:

• "Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn't affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."
    I had it turned on and wondered why no update had been done for over a month. It finally happened in mid afternoon when I stepped away for a break, and l had to wait quite a while to get back to work.

The best you can do is set Active Hours, which will postpone updates until a better time of day. Active Hours is a maximum of 12 hours. I've set mine to 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Sleep mode won't stop it. But I don't think MS has a way to turn on your computer.

tcebob, Jul 23, 2019
  3. LemP Win User
    Defer Windows Updates

What's the current suggested length of time to defer updates on Windows 10 Pro --

-- feature updates?

-- quality updates?

4. Steve C Win User

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

I have no idea what happened but after more fiddling about with some of the suggestions above, my Defer updates function is now restored!

Steve C, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support? - Similar Threads - Deferring 'feature' updates

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  4. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. What will happen to my apps in Windows 8.1 after the end of support?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What will happen to my apps in Windows 8.1 after the end of support?: My apps are currently running just fine sometimes they don't open for a week but I wondering, what will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1 after the last day?Rest in peace, Windows 8.1.2013-2023....
  6. What will happen to my apps in Windows 8.1 after the end of support?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What will happen to my apps in Windows 8.1 after the end of support?: My apps are currently running just fine sometimes they don't open for a week but I wondering, what will happen to the Windows Store in Windows 8.1 after the last day?Rest in peace, Windows 8.1.2013-2023....
  7. What happened to the Timeline in 2004 Feature Update????

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened to the Timeline in 2004 Feature Update????: I know this is an issue with many others. What happened to the once-great Timeline that worked great with 1909, but now, since 2004 Feature Update, completely worthless? I did everything that was recommended. I know activity history available on MS Activity Page etc., but,...
  8. What will happen after Windows 10 ends support?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What will happen after Windows 10 ends support?: Ok. So, I recently heard that mainstream support for Windows 10 will end this year and extended support will end in 2025. However, when I heard that, I thought of one question. What will happen after Windows 10 ends support? I mean, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would...
  9. Defering updates leads to installation of feature updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defering updates leads to installation of feature updates.: Hello everybody, since version 1903, feature updates should no longer be installed automatically, instead they should be offered as optional updates. This works so far, but only if the option to defer updates regardless of whether feature or security updates is not used. If...
  10. deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?: W10 Pro v1903 I upgraded to v1903 some week ago, and in the delivery settings I selected -as usual- postpone time for further updates/upgrades as long as possible (365 days, resp 35 days). Therefore I was surprised that yesterday an automatic update was taking place. That...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what happens end of support for windows phone