Windows 10: Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support?

Discus and support Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm on 1803 still. Support runs out in November, after which MS push an updated build on me. I'm wondering if that is going to to be 1903/1909, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ralphus, Jul 23, 2019.

1. ralphus Win User

Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support?

I'm on 1803 still. Support runs out in November, after which MS push an updated build on me. I'm wondering if that is going to to be 1903/1909, or 1809. Needless to say, I'd rather stay on the lowest supported build, 1809.

Will they push the latest feature update on me in November, or will I be updated to the oldest supported version?

In can anyone wonders why I don't want the latest build, I've had far too many legacy issues, among other things, when keeping with the current build. In my opinion, the regular consumer branch is open beta, and the more conservative business branch is stable.

:)

ralphus, Jul 23, 2019
  2. tcebob Win User

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

Apparently, "defer" does not refer to postponing updates to a more convenient time. Microsoft's explanation:

• "Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn't affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available."
    I had it turned on and wondered why no update had been done for over a month. It finally happened in mid afternoon when I stepped away for a break, and l had to wait quite a while to get back to work.

The best you can do is set Active Hours, which will postpone updates until a better time of day. Active Hours is a maximum of 12 hours. I've set mine to 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. Sleep mode won't stop it. But I don't think MS has a way to turn on your computer.

tcebob, Jul 23, 2019
  3. LemP Win User
    Defer Windows Updates

What's the current suggested length of time to defer updates on Windows 10 Pro --

-- feature updates?

-- quality updates?

4. Steve C Win User

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

I have no idea what happened but after more fiddling about with some of the suggestions above, my Defer updates function is now restored!

Steve C, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Deferring 'feature' updates - What happens at end of support? - Similar Threads - Deferring 'feature' updates

2. Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Version 1803 and feature updates deferred by a year: According to this page Windows 10, version 1809 transitioned to broad deployment (Semi-Annual Channel) on 28th March 2019. I am currently running Windows 10, version 1803 with feature updates deferred by 365 days on one of my computers. This means I shall receive a feature...
  3. What happens when 1803 reaches end of life date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What happens when 1803 reaches end of life date: I'm still running v 1803 and really have no desire to update but I read that 1803 is going to be past its use by date sometime in the next four months. I've not been offered any update so what happens if the end of 1803 life is reached and I still haven't upgraded? Thanks...
  4. deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?

deferring semi-annual feature updates gone?: W10 Pro v1903 I upgraded to v1903 some week ago, and in the delivery settings I selected -as usual- postpone time for further updates/upgrades as long as possible (365 days, resp 35 days). Therefore I was surprised that yesterday an automatic update was taking place. That...
  5. What if 1803 reaches end of support?

What if 1803 reaches end of support?: I know I won't receive security update. But will windows force me to pay money to use 1803? Or will my PC act like ticking bomb and won't start up? Windows 10 is full of unexpected so I want to know this. 135195
  6. Scheduled support not happening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Scheduled support not happening: I was told that a level 2 techniian would call me today between 4-6 pm but no one has called. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/scheduled-support-not-happening/af7a777f-13f4-4f6c-ae19-0310ef4d657e
  7. What happened to the screen saver feature?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What happened to the screen saver feature?: All of a sudden I've lost my screen saver function. It used to be under Personalization in the Control Panel but that option has suddenly disappeared from the panel and the 'Settings' panel is next to usless. Now I don't have a screen saver and I have no log on screen...
  8. What happened to Optional Updates?

What happened to Optional Updates?: Does anybody know what happens to what (in Windows 8.1 ) were called "Optional Updates" in Windows Update? Are these pushed automatically along with "Important Updates"? If not, how do we get them? 11178
  9. Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I noticed the box 'Defer feature updates' is now greyed out after this week's update - see my screenshot. Is this a bug and how do I restore the functionality since I want to be in control of when major updates are installed? [img] 79567
  10. Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10: My biggest issue with this is I really wish there was an option to turn off driver updates. I do not want Microsoft changing my drivers on me, especially video card drivers. With nvidia drivers there is an option to control what components you want installed. This option is...