Windows 10: Define wireless settings per user account

Discus and support Define wireless settings per user account in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, At home we have a shared PC running Win10 Pro which is used by adults and youngsters. I want to ensure that when youngsters use the PC then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ejepsen, Jul 30, 2017.

1. ejepsen Win User

Define wireless settings per user account

Hi,

At home we have a shared PC running Win10 Pro which is used by adults and youngsters.

I want to ensure that when youngsters use the PC then they access an Wifi accesspoint which does only gives them access to the internet but not internal file shares or other computers on the network etc.

So when the admin or other accounts logs onto the PC (under a specific account) then they are automatically logged on to the "unlimited" access point where they can access file shares etc.
    However when youngster's account logs onto the PC, with their specific user account, then they automatically log onto the "limited" access point.

In Win7 this was possible through:
    How to Enable User-Specific Wireless Networks in Windows 7

But it seems that this feature has been removed in Windows 10 ? Any workarounds to fulfil my objective?

:)

ejepsen, Jul 30, 2017
  2. berserkk Win User

5800 XM: Issues with WPA (and EAP authorization)

I've had issues with this same problem, trying to connect to my university network.

I use the following settings, and it magically starts working:

internet access point settings

network status: public

wlan mode: infrastructure

wlan security mode wpa/wpa2

homepage: none

use access point: auto

wlan security settings

wpa/wpa2: EAP

epa2 only mode: off

eap plug-in settings

tick: eap-peap

tick: eap-fast (even if your network does not support it!)

eap-peap settings

personal: not defined

auth cert: (my uni's wireless auth cert, i got it off my wireless laptop)

user name in use: user defined

user name: my user name

realm in use: user defined

realm: my uni's domain name

tls: priv off

allow peapv0: OFF

allow peapv1: off

allow peapv2: off

EAP's (in the next tab under eap-peap settings)

ticked eap-mschapv2 ticked

eap-mschapv2 settings:

user name: blank

prompt password: yes

go right back out

EAP-fast settings

no cert's defined

username user defined

user your user

real user defined

realm your network

everything else off

EAP's: eap-mschapv2

username : blank

prompt password: yes

Ok now go back out and attempt to connect to wireless point.

It will prompt your user/pass a few times, but then connect.

berserkk, Jul 30, 2017
  3. genebryan Win User
    Nokia 5800 - University WPA2 Enterprise Connection Problem

"Select L: wireless@UOS* (WPA/WPA2-Enterprise). Fill in the following fields:

connection Name: L: wireless@UOS *

data bearer: wireless LAN

wireless network name : L: wireless@UOS

Network status : Public

WLAN network mode: Infrastructure

WLAN security mode : WPA/WPA2

Home Page: none

Use access point : automatic

WLAN security setting : EAP

WPA2 only mode : off

EAP plug in setting : EAP-PEAP only check

EAP tab:

Personal Certificate : not define

Authority Certificate : Thawte server CA thawte

User name in use : user define

user name : UOS username

Realm in use : user define

realm: Blank

TLS privacy: off
    Allow PEAPv0 Yes

v1: No

v2: No

EAP tab : EAP- MSCHAPV2

Username : filled

Prompt password : no

Password filled

ciphers : check all cipher

I was successfully connected to university sharah wifi

I hope you can connect too.

genebryan, Jul 30, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

You would have to use a Security profile that restricts the device to only a certain network. They cannot find other wifi and connect to them if they are password protected.

bro67, Aug 1, 2017
  5. Shadowjk Win User
    This sounds like an Access point hack to complete. If you don't have an expensive AP then chances are you'll struggle to complete this. OR if you already have the policy applied on the network side then you should be able to configure network configurations as a logon script to force wireless connectivity. That said, it won't stop them from changing networks if need be.

Josh *Smile

Shadowjk, Aug 1, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    Does your router have a setting user isolation or simliar name that lets users go on the net but not connect local

Samuria, Aug 1, 2017
  7. ejepsen Win User
    @Samuria
    Nope - the router does not know who are connecting

@Josh - I think your suggestion on the script sounds feasible... The kids just want internet access so I'm not concerned that they will try hard to access the unlimited access point

@bro67 - can you elaborate on what you mean by "Security profile" ? - what you describe is exactly what I had in Win7 but lack in Win10.

ejepsen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Define wireless settings per user account - Similar Threads - Define wireless settings

2. Display settings per user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display settings per user: I have several users on my Windows 11 computer. I have two extra displays connected to this computer.This is what I am looking for: for example when user X is logged in, I would like to use only one display, when another user is logged in, I would like to use all three...
  3. Display settings per user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display settings per user: I have several users on my Windows 11 computer. I have two extra displays connected to this computer.This is what I am looking for: for example when user X is logged in, I would like to use only one display, when another user is logged in, I would like to use all three...
  4. Windows 10 not saving volume settings and per user account basis

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 not saving volume settings and per user account basis: Edition Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 21H1 Installed on ‎20-‎05-‎2021 OS build 19043.985 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0 Hello,After facing consistent problems with Windows 10, I did a clean installation thinking that it would solve all...
  5. Windows 10 User Account setup and defining

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 User Account setup and defining: My current LT with Windows 10 Home during installs, etc now say "you don't have authority...".when changing, installing things that did not produce an error before. " I suspect my "Account/User Profile" maybe corrupted but when I check my "Local Account" name, it says it is:...
  6. Windows 10 User Account setup and defining

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 User Account setup and defining: My current LT with Windows 10 Home during installs, etc now say "you don't have authority...".when changing, installing things that did not produce an error before. " I suspect my "Account/User Profile" maybe corrupted but when I check my "Local Account" name, it says it is:...
  7. Independent DHCP or manual settings per wireless connection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Independent DHCP or manual settings per wireless connection?: Hello! We have a weird access point at work that cannot automatically configure the wireless connection (via DHCP) and only works by manually configuring the IP, gateway and DNS server. The problem is that when I move my laptop to home I must remember to change the settings...
  8. set the default WiFi network per user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    set the default WiFi network per user: Hello I have a Windows 10 (1903) Home laptop, and I want to configure it so that when user1 logs in, they automatically connect on WiFinetwork1, and when user2 logs in, they automatically connect on WiFinetwork2. Basically I want to set the default WiFi network per user. Is...
  9. set the default WiFi network per user

in Windows 10 Support
    set the default WiFi network per user: Hello I have a Windows 10 (1903) Home laptop, and I want to configure it so that when user1 logs in, they automatically connect on WiFinetwork1, and when user2 logs in, they automatically connect on WiFinetwork2. Basically I want to set the default WiFi network per user. Is...
  10. Set language per user

in Windows 10 Support
    Set language per user: Hi, Does anyone know if there is a way to set display language (and locale) per user? I change it and it's changed for all the users, system wide. Thanks in advance! 135499