Windows 10: Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

Discus and support Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; @Kari, @simrick, Ok. So there's this "rumor" floating around that the free upgrade has been "extended" by Microsoft. So I did a little experiment on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NavyLCDR, Aug 1, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

@Kari, @simrick,

Ok. So there's this "rumor" floating around that the free upgrade has been "extended" by Microsoft. So I did a little experiment on my custom built computer that has never had Windows 10 Home on it before. Here's the results:

Clean install of Windows 10 Home build 14393 from an ISO file captured from a computer that did the insider upgrade - no activation:

Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired? [​IMG]

Here's the product key to be tested:

Here's the change product key screen in progress of checking it:

And the result? - Exactly the same as would have occurred on July 28th:

Further proof, slmgr /dlv result:

So the definitive answer is that the Microsoft activation server is working on 8/1/2016 at 7:30PM 1.5 hours North of Microsoft in Stanwood, WA just exactly the same as it worked on July 28th.

:)

NavyLCDR, Aug 1, 2016

2. Is Windows 10 Upgrade really free?

Will there be a cost after accepting the free Windows 10 upgrade? I've heard that there's a cost after the first year.

Jorge N_8639, Aug 1, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    Upgrade to Windows 10 is really free?

Your Windows 8 Product Key will become the Windows 10 Product Key.

"Microsoft’s Gabriel Aul, who’s been heading up the Windows Insiders program, said via Twitter that anyone can reinstall Windows 10 whenever they want, with no effect on their license whatsoever."

Users can perform a clean install of Windows 10 after the free upgrade

Users can perform a clean install of Windows 10 after the free upgrade

Nobody who "upgrades" to Windows 10 will have to pay anything ever as long as it is done within the 12 month limit. After that period you will have to purchase Windows 10.

"Windows 10 is automatically updated. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. See the Windows 10 Upgrade page (Get Windows 10 OS | Shop & Buy Windows 10 Devices | Check for Windows Updates
    ) for details".

Specifications

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

windows-10-faq

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Linney, Aug 1, 2016
  4. Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

Well, I guess the rumor is true! Thanks for sharing! *Smile

Computer Chicken, Aug 1, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    The key (*Smile) question is for how long but but we have no way of knowing.

Probably just a hidden grace period until RS1 is establishexd?

cereberus, Aug 1, 2016
  6. DavidY Win User
    Interesting stuff - thanks for doing that test.
    Now I'm wondering what would happen if someone ran an upgrade install from a computer running Windows 8.x or 7.

The GWX app reputedly works if you set the computer's date back (although I've not seen proof that it then activates) , but even without doing that, it might be possible that it activates when someone runs setup.exe from the ISO?

DavidY, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Barman58 Win User

That is what I feared would happen - the people who are eligible for this offer will have to suffer delays and more issues due to greedy people Who decided that they didn't want to pay for windows 10, when they had already had a year to upgrade for free

Barman58, Aug 1, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User
    I'm not sure about greedy.. Should call them careless or something. Bet, there is fair amount of those just checking if it really works.

AndreTen, Aug 1, 2016
  9. Barman58 Win User
    Greedy was the mildest term I was prepared to use for an action is basically theft of the software - and the touted excuse that Microsoft should have done more is as bad as saying that if someone accidentally leaves their car or house unlocked you can simply take what you want

Barman58, Aug 1, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    I wouldn't call this "definitive answer", especially when MS has done nothing to confirm this. On the contrary, they make it extremely clear in every possible way that the free upgrade has ended:

(Screenshot from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...10-upgrade-faq)

It might be as simple as MS getting systems down slowly or giving us a non-announced few days grace period. Anyway, any extensions to free upgrade are totally unannounced and not confirmed by MS.

That being said, I made three tests this morning using a never used Windows 8 PRO retail product key on a Hyper-V virtual machine:

• Installed Windows 8.1 PRO with generic key, did not activate it. Tried upgrade using Windows 10 PRO ISO, the product key was not accepted, upgrade not successful, Windows 10 was not activated
    • Installed Windows 8.1 PRO with generic key, activated it with the above mentioned key. Tried upgrade using Windows 10 PRO ISO, upgrade asked for a valid key, upgrade not successful, Windows 10 was not activated
    • Clean installed Windows 10 PRO skipping product key, when on desktop tried activation from Settings app using the Windows 8.1 PRO key, Windows 10 was activated

11. DavidY Win User
    It's not good if the process is made harder for people using assistive technologies.

However I have some sympathy for some people who didn't upgrade because they were waiting for their hardware manufacturer to provide Windows 10 drivers. These people didn't have a the full year, and in some cases would have tried to upgrade regardless at the last minute when those Win 10 drivers never appeared.

DavidY, Aug 1, 2016
  12. DavidY Win User

This one is the most interesting for me. I'm curious to know what makes it ask for a key, as running Setup.exe on an activated Windows 8.1 machine never asked me for a key before. Also the setup.exe process ran fine for me on a computer with no network access so it couldn't rely on a check to an activation server.

Were you using a 1511 ISO or a 1607 ISO?

DavidY, Aug 1, 2016
  13. Kari Win User
    I must disagree a bit David. Everyone had enough time to upgrade, then if there were driver issues caused by manufacturers not being ready they could have rolled back to previous OS, Windows 10 having digital entitlement activation waiting the time when drivers become available.

Even on very low end hardware this process, upgrade and roll back had only taken a few hours of that year we had. Considering how long the official upgrade period was, how easy the roll back is and how a once activated Windows 10 keeps its digital entitlement, I have absolutely no understanding nor sympathy for those users who missed the free offer.

14. Kari Win User
    I was using TH2 version 1511 ISO.

Upgrading from an activated Windows 7 or 8.1 with ISO did not ask any key until last Friday, this was the first time it happened to me.

Thema:

1. Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired? - Similar Threads - Definitive Answer free

2. Really, it's an answer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really, it's an answer.: I will be getting rid of the POS HP/microsoft laptop I bought that restricts me by S mode and will invest in a company and product that will support my needs as a user. This product is useless!...
  3. Really, it's an answer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Really, it's an answer.: I will be getting rid of the POS HP/microsoft laptop I bought that restricts me by S mode and will invest in a company and product that will support my needs as a user. This product is useless!...
  4. Looking for a definitive answer to fix windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Looking for a definitive answer to fix windows 10 pro: Is there a way to FIX windows 10 Pro and/or the boot and recovery partitions if they get messed up due to my own tinkering, or someone else. WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows and ALL my programs. A lot of my programs I got for free and legally from the companies who made...
  5. Is there really free MS Office?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there really free MS Office?: Hello, everyone. My old notebook gave up the ghost. The new one, of course, doesn't have Office installed. After x-years I also have no more access data. Now I am looking for a free version. Does anyone of you have a tip or link for me? Thank you. Gibt es wirklich...
  6. I need an official answer on the Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade!

I need an official answer on the Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade!: I am aware that the Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016. source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq And although in the same article above it skirts around the issue of upgrading from a USB...
  7. Free 2015 upgrade to Windows 10 expired?

Free 2015 upgrade to Windows 10 expired?: (Unfortunately), I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade in 2015 and it's not been a rewarding relationship, not least because it seemed to offer me less functionality and it turned out to be incompatible with my HP printer! I am now getting constant messages that...
  8. I would like to have a definitive Answer, please.

I would like to have a definitive Answer, please.: Scenario: Computer A is upgraded from a genuine Win 7 or 8 to Windows 10. Activated and digital entitled. A bootable media is created. I change Computer A's motherboard to a new one but not the same make and model. I then use the same bootable media to reinstall Windows...
  9. Anyone able to get free upgrade after deadlline expired?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anyone able to get free upgrade after deadlline expired?: If you did, please post your local time and your timezone. Upgrade or fresh install? Note that we are talking here only about systems that have not been previously upgraded to Win 10 and then rolled back to Win 7 or 8. 57992
  10. Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered: Here are a few more answers to some nagging questions about Windows 10 upgrades and activation in the post-Anniversary-Update era. Phasing out the year-long free Windows 10 upgrade promotion is, no doubt, a complicated process. But getting answers about how this process...