Windows 10: Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

Discus and support Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; There seems to be some confusion here. There are two ways you can activate windows 10. 1) conventional product key activation ie same as 7/8. In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NavyLCDR, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

That's what I've been saying. Not every install gets a digital entitlement.

alphanumeric, Aug 5, 2016
  2. Kari Win User

Give me a few minutes, I just spent a perfectly good MSDN retail key to show I am right, video is encoding as we speak. I feel that without absolute proof I cannot make you to understand this.

Will post definitive proof here in few minutes.

3. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Aug 5, 2016
  4. Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

Are you installing 1511 or 1607?

5. cereberus Win User
    Not relevant to digital or product key licences.

cereberus, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Posted that already. I just di a clean install of Education 1511, with a skip key, It shows Windows is not activated. With the message that activation failed because this device does not have a valid digital entitlement. I did this just to confirm that PC doesn't already have a digital entitlement. I'm going to take a screen shot and then enter a MSDN key I have never used. Then do another screen shot. Then let it update to 1607 etc. I may or may not post the screen shots tonight. All depends on how long it takes.

7. Kari Win User
    Sorry but you guys really have profoundly misunderstood this. I know from previous experience that Alphanumeric can not admit I am right in this, therefore I used one of my MSDN retail product keys so that at least those other members and guests alike reading this thread could get correct information.

This very short video is pretty self explanatory:

[youtube]KlJcn00J1gw[/youtube]

I used Windows 10 Home 1607 for this demonstration, not wanting to spend a PRO, Education or Enterprise key just to proof a point. I am totally willing to repeat this in live broadcast with your chosen Windows 10 edition as long as we can agree about the terms: If that live broadcast proves I am right, I will get a normal (not MSDN) Windows 10 Pro retail key, if live broadcast proves me being wrong I will give a key to you.

8. cereberus Win User

Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired?

No offense Kari, but you are incorrect. Alphanumeric is correct - not all windows 10 licences give digital licences.

In fact, now free period has ended, majority of new licences (from now on) will revert to product key activation, except in cases where a user specifically buys a Windows 10 licence from the MS Store.

cereberus, Aug 5, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    Did you even bother to watch the video?

10. Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired? [​IMG]

Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired? [​IMG]
    Activated with no Digital entitlement.

11. Did that device already have a Home digital entitlement? And was that 1511 or 1607?

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Activating a Windows 10 Home edition with a product key to obtain a digital license in no way shape or form proves that every edition of Windows will behave the same way. Just like the repeated use of a product key that got blocked due to repeated use in no way shape or form proved that a Windows 7/8/8.1 product key would get blocked due to an upgrade to Windows 10 - I remember that false "experiment" being conducted a year ago as "proof" of a false theory. One year later, history is repeating itself.

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Just watched it (my internet is slow) and what you have done is not clear to me.

Perhaps you could try this:-

On a pc which has never had windows 10 installed ever, install windows 10 and activate using a windows 10 key NOT a 7/8 key.

Then wipe drive and reinstall from scratch without entering any key. It will say there is no valid digital licence, and require a product key.

It is possible MS have changed things and now give a digital licence even if product key activated but that is new. If that is the case, then we have learnt something new, and I accept I am wrong.

cereberus, Aug 5, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Heck, I would like to see the product key that Kari used in the video ran through Showkey to determine what type of product key it was and what version of Windows it was for. A Windows 7/8/8.1 product key absolutely would activate exactly like that.

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2016
  15. My whole point was in 1511, I had no digital entitlement, but when I upgraded to 1607 I did. Video proves nothing. My screen shots were from a clean install of 1511 on a PC that never had education installed. If what you say is true Kari, why does it show activated with a product key? I'm just waiting to see if it auto updates to 1607. If it doesn't by tomorrow morning I will do it manually. Then recheck activation.

Thema:

1. Definitive Answer: Is the free upgrade really expired? - Similar Threads - Definitive Answer free

2. Really, it's an answer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really, it's an answer.: I will be getting rid of the POS HP/microsoft laptop I bought that restricts me by S mode and will invest in a company and product that will support my needs as a user. This product is useless!...
  3. Really, it's an answer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Really, it's an answer.: I will be getting rid of the POS HP/microsoft laptop I bought that restricts me by S mode and will invest in a company and product that will support my needs as a user. This product is useless!...
  4. Looking for a definitive answer to fix windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Looking for a definitive answer to fix windows 10 pro: Is there a way to FIX windows 10 Pro and/or the boot and recovery partitions if they get messed up due to my own tinkering, or someone else. WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows and ALL my programs. A lot of my programs I got for free and legally from the companies who made...
  5. Is there really free MS Office?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there really free MS Office?: Hello, everyone. My old notebook gave up the ghost. The new one, of course, doesn't have Office installed. After x-years I also have no more access data. Now I am looking for a free version. Does anyone of you have a tip or link for me? Thank you. Gibt es wirklich...
  6. I need an official answer on the Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade!

I need an official answer on the Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade!: I am aware that the Windows 10 free upgrade through the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app ended on July 29, 2016. source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq And although in the same article above it skirts around the issue of upgrading from a USB...
  7. Free 2015 upgrade to Windows 10 expired?

Free 2015 upgrade to Windows 10 expired?: (Unfortunately), I took advantage of the free Windows 10 upgrade in 2015 and it's not been a rewarding relationship, not least because it seemed to offer me less functionality and it turned out to be incompatible with my HP printer! I am now getting constant messages that...
  8. I would like to have a definitive Answer, please.

I would like to have a definitive Answer, please.: Scenario: Computer A is upgraded from a genuine Win 7 or 8 to Windows 10. Activated and digital entitled. A bootable media is created. I change Computer A's motherboard to a new one but not the same make and model. I then use the same bootable media to reinstall Windows...
  9. Anyone able to get free upgrade after deadlline expired?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anyone able to get free upgrade after deadlline expired?: If you did, please post your local time and your timezone. Upgrade or fresh install? Note that we are talking here only about systems that have not been previously upgraded to Win 10 and then rolled back to Win 7 or 8. 57992
  10. Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered: Here are a few more answers to some nagging questions about Windows 10 upgrades and activation in the post-Anniversary-Update era. Phasing out the year-long free Windows 10 upgrade promotion is, no doubt, a complicated process. But getting answers about how this process...