Windows 10: Defrag a SSD

Discus and support Defrag a SSD in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Nope29, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Nope29 Win User

Defrag a SSD

I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for the Norton Utilities Ultimate months ago I believe. I have been worried about my solid state drive for a while, but Norton kind of put me at ease a little saying the one that is built into my machine by Microsoft is safe to use on SSDs. I have used PowerShell to check my pc health. It says it is okay. I'm hoping I

:)

Nope29, Apr 16, 2024

2. Defragmenting SSD

Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented.

Nikos Lagios, Apr 16, 2024
  3. Defragment & SSD

Hi.

I have installed a Samsung SSD 850 Evo on a Windows 10 build 10.0.14393.

In the Defragment software, I saw "trimmed" instead of "defragmented".

What is trim? Is it necessary to run defragment on SSD?

Running defragment makes any problem to SSD or not?

Thank you.

Reza_Mesgaran, Apr 16, 2024
  4. Graeme.P Win User

Defrag a SSD

Defragmenting SSD

Hi Nikos, I'm Graeme, an independent adviser here to help.

Defragmenting HDDs of the past was done so that files weren't broken up across the surface of the disk, making the mechanical arm that reads the files able to access them faster.

SSDs are an entirely different technology that doesn't have any mechanical parts, so defragmenting an SSD will have absolutely no performance increase. In fact, it's not recommended as SSDs have a limited number of access cycles before they begin to wear out,
    so defragmenting an SSD will shorten its lifespan for no reason.

You can happily keep using the SSD without needing to defragment it! Let me know if you need further support. Thanks!

Graeme.P, Apr 16, 2024
Thema:

Defrag a SSD

1. Defrag a SSD - Similar Threads - Defrag SSD

2. Will using the built in OPTIMIZE and DEFRAGMENT setting help speed my SSD up or damage it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will using the built in OPTIMIZE and DEFRAGMENT setting help speed my SSD up or damage it?: hello I own a SSD and saw a setting that said OPTIMIZE and DEFRAG your drives and I clicked on it and ran It my PC seemed to be less crunchier so I went to YouTube and chrome to look it up further and some are saying it will damage it and some that said it would help me, and...
  3. Will using the built in OPTIMIZE and DEFRAGMENT setting help speed my SSD up or damage it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will using the built in OPTIMIZE and DEFRAGMENT setting help speed my SSD up or damage it?: hello I own a SSD and saw a setting that said OPTIMIZE and DEFRAG your drives and I clicked on it and ran It my PC seemed to be less crunchier so I went to YouTube and chrome to look it up further and some are saying it will damage it and some that said it would help me, and...
  4. Is it safe to use the optimize and defragmenting settings with a ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to use the optimize and defragmenting settings with a ssd: The thing about it is that online it says not to do it because it will defrag your SSD but when I look on other site it says you should optimise it with that setting because it speeds it up, when I look at the two my SSD when I do click optimize it says trimming and not...
  5. Is it safe to use the optimize and defragmenting settings with a ssd

Is it safe to use the optimize and defragmenting settings with a ssd: The thing about it is that online it says not to do it because it will defrag your SSD but when I look on other site it says you should optimise it with that setting because it speeds it up, when I look at the two my SSD when I do click optimize it says trimming and not...
  6. Defrag a SSD

Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  7. How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home: SSD keeps trying to defrag. I have Windows 11 Home. When I go to Optimize Drives and highlight SSD, there is no option to make changes. How do I turn off Defrag? Driving me crazy!!!...
  8. How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home

How do I turn off Defrag on SSD Windows 11 Home: SSD keeps trying to defrag. I have Windows 11 Home. When I go to Optimize Drives and highlight SSD, there is no option to make changes. How do I turn off Defrag? Driving me crazy!!!...
  9. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...
  10. Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...

Is it safe to defrag and optimize an SSD? If not what do I do if I already did it multiple...: I have done multiple “Defragment and Optimize Drives,” to my SSD thinking that it would boost some performance in my games. However a lot of people say that it is bad to do this to my SSD. What should I do?...