Windows 10: defrag disk

Discus and support defrag disk in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I run the disk defrag program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag-disk/b78f7054-39ca-4eae-824e-6be83cdfd2c4 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by duddas123, May 30, 2020.

1. duddas123 Win User

defrag disk

How do I run the disk defrag program?

:)

duddas123, May 30, 2020

2. disk defragmenting

Sign in to your Windows 10 computer with an administrator account. It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders cannot defrag the hard disk drive.

Click the Start button.

From the left pane of the Start menu, click File Explorer.

On the opened window, from the navigation pane in the left, expand the This PC tree.

From the expanded list, right-click Local Disk (C: ) or any other partition on which Windows 10 is installed.

From the context menu, click Properties.

On the opened Local Disk (C: ) Properties box, go to the Tools tab.

From the displayed interface, under the Optimize and defragment drive section, click the Optimize button.

On the Optimize Drives box, from the displayed list, ensure that the system drive (C: in this example) is selected.

Click the Analyze button from below the list.

Wait until Windows completes the analysis and displays the percentage of the fragmented files in the selected drive.

Note: If there are no fragmented files in the drive, Windows displays a message box stating that the disk does not need to be defragmented.

After Windows completes the analysis, click the Optimize button to start the defragmentation process on the selected volume.

Wait until Windows defragments the drive successfully, restart the PC, and start using Windows 10 normally.

Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2020
  3. hard disk D won't defragment

Hi,

File corruption is one of the reasons why you are having challenges defragmenting your hard disk. Before we proceed, we need you to answer the following questions:

• Are you defragmenting an internal drive or an external drive?
    • Are you using the Windows defragmenter to defrag your hard disk, or is it a third party software?

In the meantime, you can run the System File Checker tool. This will helps use scan and restore corrupted files. Here’s an
    article that will walk you through the steps on how to run the System
    File Checker tool, how to view details of the System File Checker process, and how to manually replace corrupted system files.

We will be waiting for your response.

Kristine Arp, May 30, 2020
  4. defrag disk

defrag

Hi Kim,

It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders
    cannot defrag the hard disk drive. We would like to ask for additional information. Please provide the following:

• Which build of Windows 10 are you using? To know about it, hit
      Start, type Winver and then press
      Enter. You could also press Windows Key + R, type
      Winver into the
      Run dialog and press Enter.
    • Are you using the administrator account on your computer or a Microsoft/guest account?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Since you've mentioned that it refuses to defrag, can you please provide us with a screenshot of it? You may refer to this

link
      on how to include a screenshot in your post.

Moreover, we recommend that you use the administrator account registered on your computer the defrag it. To optimize them:

• Select the search bar on the taskbar and enter defrag.

• Select Defragment and Optimize Drives.

defrag disk ee353fc9-cd9e-4635-b255-8b796f80c528-en.png

• Select the disk drive you want to optimize.

• Select the Optimize button.

Looking forward to the requested information and the results of the recommended troubleshooting steps.

PreciousLeb, May 30, 2020
Thema:

defrag disk

1. defrag disk - Similar Threads - defrag disk

2. Does Windows 10 Disk Clean Up or Defragment and Optimize Drives Delete or Impact My Music...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 10 Disk Clean Up or Defragment and Optimize Drives Delete or Impact My Music...: As the title states: Does Windows 10 Disk Clean Up or Defragment and Optimize Drives delete or impact my music files and folders and any other personal files and folders? I assume the answer is "No." But just to be safe, I thought I would ask. I am currently doing some checks...
  3. Does Windows 10 Disk Clean Up or Defragment and Optimize Drives Delete or Impact My Music...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does Windows 10 Disk Clean Up or Defragment and Optimize Drives Delete or Impact My Music...: As the title states: Does Windows 10 Disk Clean Up or Defragment and Optimize Drives delete or impact my music files and folders and any other personal files and folders? I assume the answer is "No." But just to be safe, I thought I would ask. I am currently doing some checks...
  4. Does Windows 10 Disk Clean Up or Defragment and Optimize Drives Delete or Impact My Music...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MRT.exe flags dfrgui.exe / disk defrag shortcut as infected file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MRT.exe flags dfrgui.exe / disk defrag shortcut as infected file: Greetings,I’m running the latest version of MRT via C:\Windows\System32 on a fresh windows 11 install fully updated. OneDrive added icons from previous installation on the desktop screen.Disk defrag shortcut on the desktop is flagged as an infected file by MRT! How...
  6. MRT.exe flags dfrgui.exe / disk defrag shortcut as infected file

MRT.exe flags dfrgui.exe / disk defrag shortcut as infected file: Greetings,I’m running the latest version of MRT via C:\Windows\System32 on a fresh windows 11 install fully updated. OneDrive added icons from previous installation on the desktop screen.Disk defrag shortcut on the desktop is flagged as an infected file by MRT! How...
  7. Check Disk and Defrag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check Disk and Defrag: I am running Windows 10 on an older hard drive. Is defrag and chkdisk still a thing? Does it still need to be done to improve performance? Any other tips for improving performance?Thanks,Carol...
  8. Check Disk and Defrag

Check Disk and Defrag: I am running Windows 10 on an older hard drive. Is defrag and chkdisk still a thing? Does it still need to be done to improve performance? Any other tips for improving performance?Thanks,Carol...
  9. Check Disk and Defrag

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. How to defrag system disk "D" in windows 7

How to defrag system disk "D" in windows 7: My system disk that contains windows 7 is 36% fragmented. When I try to defrag it wont. If I tell other drives to defrag they will defrag. I understand you cant defrag the drive a windows in on. This laptop is so slow I blame it on the 36% what can I do to get some of my...