Windows 10: defrag on system wont work

Discus and support defrag on system wont work in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; cant defrag system hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag-on-system-wont-work/ccd377c5-3fbb-4216-b153-f93a07724737 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PLUGGERFINKLE, Jan 13, 2020.

1. defrag on system wont work

cant defrag system hard drive?

:)

PLUGGERFINKLE, Jan 13, 2020
  2. Bundy Win User

Good defrag utility??

I have tried out most of the defraggers listed above and would not any of them on an OS drive. They all interfere with the boot optimisation that MS has implemented and do not adequately replace it (if the option to do so exists).

I recommend using the Windows defragger, prefetch ,superfetch and layout.ini system for your OS drive as they are all interelated and work the best.

For non OS drives, there are a number of approaches, I suggest Ultimate defrag or Optimum defrag do a great job on game drives or storage drives. Mussels thread has the info.

Bundy, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

defrag on system wont work

Defragment and Optimize Drives Problem

Hi Edward,

Based on the details you have provided, your C drive was unrecognized by the system. We suggest that you run these
    commands and see if there are any changes:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Run
      the following commands:

• To fix any logical file errors:

• Chkdsk C: /f /r

• To defrag your Drive C manually:

• Defrag C: /D /U

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

defrag on system wont work

1. defrag on system wont work - Similar Threads - defrag system wont

2. Defragment & Optimize Drives not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defragment & Optimize Drives not working: Hi all,I tried to optimize my C drive tonight, but the Defragment & Optimize Drives UI program wouldn't start. I tried the command line version by running defrag c: /U /V and nothing happened. There's no error. After doing some research, I found out there should be an...
  3. Defragment & Optimize Drives not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defragment & Optimize Drives not working: Hi all,I tried to optimize my C drive tonight, but the Defragment & Optimize Drives UI program wouldn't start. I tried the command line version by running defrag c: /U /V and nothing happened. There's no error. After doing some research, I found out there should be an...
  4. Defragment and Optimize "system Reserve"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragment and Optimize "system Reserve": My system reserve thing is stuck at 17% Fragmented "Needs optimizing" I can't get it down 183053
  5. Defrag not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defrag not working: I have a Windows 10 Desktop personal computer. When I go to the start button, Windows Administrative Tools, then click on Defrag nothing happens. The disk cleanup works but the defrag just goes away. What's up?...
  6. Disc C wont defragment, only Disc D defragments

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disc C wont defragment, only Disc D defragments: On "Optimise Drives" tab, when you select whichever drive you want, there are 2 options, "Analyse" and "Optimise". For my OS Disc C the Analyse option is not available but for Disc D both are available and Disc D has been defragmented but I cannot defrag Disc C. I ran a...
  7. No way to defragment system partition.

No way to defragment system partition.: Hi! I'm having problems with defrafmentation of system partition under Windows 10 x64. Using windows defragmenter, it says 37% fragmentation. I click on "Optimize" and entire process takes about 3 hours. After that, analizing disk again, says 37% fragmentation. I've...
  8. Windows System Defrag

Windows System Defrag: says needs optimazation but when defrag is ran it stays at 20% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-defrag/afb58b13-1b6d-40e7-aa16-c57b6000bd62
  9. Defrag System Reserve

Defrag System Reserve: running win 10 my bootup time has doubled I checked all I know and it shows my system reserve is 100% defragged. How do I correct this problem. Is there a inexpensive program that will repair window problem. also when I try and defrag the reserve it really does nothing....
  10. system defrag

system defrag: My Windows 10 SYSTEM is 15% fragmented and should be optimized. When I click on optimize it very quickly runs down the percentage numbers as though it's doing it's job. But then it settles again at 15%. I already tried a manual defrag command. That didn't help. All my other...