Windows 10: Defrag SD card, recognized as HD?

Discus and support Defrag SD card, recognized as HD? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 home 64 bit's DEFRAG program, recognizes my SD card as a harddrive. It also wants to defrag it like a harddrive, as opposed to treat it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ProDigit, Oct 19, 2019.

1. ProDigit Win User

Defrag SD card, recognized as HD?

Windows 10 home 64 bit's DEFRAG program, recognizes my SD card as a harddrive.

It also wants to defrag it like a harddrive, as opposed to treat it like an SSD (by trimming it).

1- Is there a way to change this?

2- Is there any benefit for SD cards to be defragged? I presume due to the low ECC (Error Correction) happening within, a true defrag of an SD/MicroSD card, could potentially damage internal files.

3- Is there a better (alternative, non MS) program available that can handle defragging/trimming for SD cards?

:)

ProDigit, Oct 19, 2019
  2. David Haz Win User

Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

You posted that you would try the suggested steps by Tryx3. May we have an update if the suggested steps have resolved the issue about your SD card being recognized as a fixed drive in Windows 10?

David Haz, Oct 19, 2019
  3. My Lumia 635 is not detecting SD card

Hi,

You may try the following steps:

• Try to remove the SD card and insert it again, make sure it's seated well without using too much force.
    • If it still does not recognize the SD card, you may try to connect your SD card to PC via a card reader and format.
    • Try using a different SD card and check if your Lumia 635 will recognize it.

Marcel Dio, Oct 19, 2019
  4. Defrag SD card, recognized as HD?

Windows 10 does not recognize 128gb micro sd card

Hi Steve,

To better assist you, provide us with the following information:

• Do any other SD cards work on your Windows 10 laptop?
    • Have you tried checking if your Kingston SD10VG2 works on other computers? If not, we suggest you to do so.
    • Were there any changes made on your laptop prior to this concern?

For possible resolution, check if the SD card is listed in Disk Management by following the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click on Disk Management.

3. Check if Kingston SD10VG2
    is listed.

If the SD card is not listed in Disk Management, we recommend you to check
    for an updated driver from the manufacturer and have the latest version installed. After ensuring that the correct driver is installed, check if the device is recognized in the Device Manager.

Let us know how it goes.

Lizette Ags, Oct 19, 2019
Thema:

Defrag SD card, recognized as HD?

1. Defrag SD card, recognized as HD? - Similar Threads - Defrag card recognized

2. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  3. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?: I have an SD card in my Surface Pro 6 configured in device manager as a separate D:\ USB NTFS mass storage device. Does the Windows Optimize Drives schedule treat it as an SSD or as a spinning drive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best-practice defragmentation...
  4. Does Windows 10 or 11 disk defragment recognize an SD card as SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows not recognizing SD Card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows not recognizing SD Card: When I insert my SD Card into my laptop it doesn't come up on Windows Explorer. It appears on Disk Manager, but won't let me assign a letter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-not-recognizing-sd-card/848b1f89-1f99-4806-9727-16a57fadc454
  6. Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader

Troubleshooting Failure to Read SD Card/Recognize SD Card Reader: Very frustrating trying to figure out the problem. Installed 32GB Class 10 SD Card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1G261N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in Game Camera, formatted per instructions and set the unit outside. Just retrieved it, and tried...
  7. SD cards are not being recognized when plugged in to the SD card slot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD cards are not being recognized when plugged in to the SD card slot: Dell, Ultrabook, Latitude E7470, Window s 10 My SD card reader does not recognise any of my SD cards. They all work when plugged into my card reader, when using USB slots. Any experience of similar issue on Dell laptop? ***Original title: SD Card not recognised.***...
  8. sd card reader not recognized

sd card reader not recognized: sd card reader not recognized https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader-not-recognized/10de784a-abbe-49b2-a77d-22385c823869"
  9. SD cards not recognized

SD cards not recognized: I have multiple computers that stopped showing SD cards. The file explorer doesn't see the cards and they will not auto open. Tried several cards, one computer says to insert a card, but when I do it doesn't see it. Cards are various sized Scan Disks and until today worked...
  10. recognize sd card?

in Windows 10 Customization
    recognize sd card?: Why won't my new HP computer with windows 10 recognize my sd card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recognize-sd-card/ef515805-90db-433c-bfe0-66bc3facf4b7

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defragmenting SD card

2. defrag sd card windows 10