Windows 10: Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need?

Discus and support Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, some people, such as the person in this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/324956/how-much-free-space-should-you-leave-on-your-windows-pc/ Are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GalactusThe Destroyer, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need?

So, some people, such as the person in this article:

https://www.howtogeek.com/324956/how-much-free-space-should-you-leave-on-your-windows-pc/

Are suggesting 15% free space for a mechanical hard drive defrag.

However, I believe it was here or else where that people are saying that this practice has been irrelevant since Windows Visa, and a few GB is enough to defrag a mechanical hard drive.

I have a 10 TB HDD, so 15% of that would be 1.5 terabytes. That's an insane amount of storage space I'd be giving up if this were true.

Since this is an internal HDD, I assume Windows schedules an automatic defrag?

:)

GalactusThe Destroyer, Dec 18, 2018

2. Defrag

Defragging SSD and Flash drives will wear them out faster. I do not suggest doing this. Defrag mechanical HDD's only

Spidey1976, Dec 18, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    " Defragment and Optimise Drives "

Never defragment a SSD.

In the Disk Defragmenter tool, 'optimize' means defragment for a mechanical hard drive, and it means run the TRIM command for a SSD.

There's no need to manually defragment a HDD. Modern hard drives don't need defragmenting as older ones did. Whatever Windows does on its own is entirely sufficient.

BulldogXX, Dec 18, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need?

Defrag

Windows 10 defrag.exe will defragment HDD, optimize SSD (issue trim) and perform slab consolidation on VHD. SSDs are also automatically defragmented monthly if you have system restore configured. Source

@no1yak - what does it say under task scheduler?

Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need? [​IMG]

Has your PC been plugged in, turned on and not being used overnight?

Thema:

Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need?

1. Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need? - Similar Threads - Defragging mechanical HDD

2. To much Defragging!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    To much Defragging!: Hi again, I guess this question must have been ask many times over the years! I have had my Laptop a number of years nowmaybe 9 Lenovo G700. I think I started with Windows 8 and gradually upgraded to Windows 10 22H2. Over the years I have done defrags regularly, it is set to...
  3. To much Defragging!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    To much Defragging!: Hi again, I guess this question must have been ask many times over the years! I have had my Laptop a number of years nowmaybe 9 Lenovo G700. I think I started with Windows 8 and gradually upgraded to Windows 10 22H2. Over the years I have done defrags regularly, it is set to...
  4. To much Defragging!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How much free space do I need to add Windows to my MacBook Pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How much free space do I need to add Windows to my MacBook Pro?: I'm running out of space on my laptop mail is taking up way too much space and I'm needing to update/upgrade my Windows. How much space do I need to easily upgrade?...
  6. How much free space do I need to add Windows to my MacBook Pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How much free space do I need to add Windows to my MacBook Pro?: I'm running out of space on my laptop mail is taking up way too much space and I'm needing to update/upgrade my Windows. How much space do I need to easily upgrade?...
  7. HDD defrag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD defrag: Hey! My HDD model: st1000dm010-2ep102 is stuck at 2% in defragmentation,no matter what I do.. 50% occupied. I use latest drivers latest win10 and all,what should I do? Is it a problem? Does it affect my HDD performance and loading times? Thanks if you help....
  8. How do you free space on the automatic repair screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you free space on the automatic repair screen: I accidentally deleted something important on my computer and I can get it back if I free up space, the problem is that I can’t go past the automatic repair screen, is there any way that I can fix that or am I screwed...
  9. HDD free space error?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD free space error?: Hi. I have a 1TB external drive (USB) which Windows reports to have 145 GBs of available free space. Yet when I copy folders which amount to 80GBs to the drive, I get a report before completion that the drive is full and not all the folders making up the 80GBs will copy...
  10. how do you free space on drive D

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do you free space on drive D: how do you free space on drive D ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-free-space-on-drive-d/520d2ad2-69ba-4660-86f5-57cd8375d3af