Windows 10: Defragment and Optimize Disk won't open in Local Services

Discus and support Defragment and Optimize Disk won't open in Local Services in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Defragment and Optimize Disks service is missing from list of Windows 10 services. It shows up on list of Administrative Tools in the Control Panel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robert J.Souders, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Defragment and Optimize Disk won't open in Local Services

Defragment and Optimize Disks service is missing from list of Windows 10 services. It shows up on list of Administrative Tools in the Control Panel, but won't open even when using "Run as Administrator". I have run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in the command prompt and it still does not fix the issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Defraggler, but still it does not show up on the local services list. I have run Dell Support Assist and no problems are found. All of this makes Norton Security unable to Optimize Disk. Norton says it is a problem with the defragment app on Windows and were no help at all.
    I am running a Dell Inspiron 5379 with 1TB HHD, 8GB ram and the latest updates of Windows 10 installed.

:)

Robert J.Souders, Mar 26, 2019

2. disk defragmenting

Sign in to your Windows 10 computer with an administrator account. It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders cannot defrag the hard disk drive.

Click the Start button.

From the left pane of the Start menu, click File Explorer.

On the opened window, from the navigation pane in the left, expand the This PC tree.

From the expanded list, right-click Local Disk (C: ) or any other partition on which Windows 10 is installed.

From the context menu, click Properties.

On the opened Local Disk (C: ) Properties box, go to the Tools tab.

From the displayed interface, under the Optimize and defragment drive section, click the Optimize button.

On the Optimize Drives box, from the displayed list, ensure that the system drive (C: in this example) is selected.

Click the Analyze button from below the list.

Wait until Windows completes the analysis and displays the percentage of the fragmented files in the selected drive.

Note: If there are no fragmented files in the drive, Windows displays a message box stating that the disk does not need to be defragmented.

After Windows completes the analysis, click the Optimize button to start the defragmentation process on the selected volume.

Wait until Windows defragments the drive successfully, restart the PC, and start using Windows 10 normally.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 26, 2019
  3. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Mar 26, 2019
  4. Defragment and Optimize Disk won't open in Local Services

defrag will not open up in windows 10

Hi Fionna,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• Do you received any error message?

• How are you exactly trying to open defragment? Please elaborate the steps.
    • Which drive are you trying to defrag?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple steps and check if you are able to open the defragment. Follow the below steps.

• Go to file explorer and right click on the drive select Properties.
    • Click on Tool tab and click on Optimize and check if you are able to open defragment.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

Defragment and Optimize Disk won't open in Local Services

1. Defragment and Optimize Disk won't open in Local Services - Similar Threads - Defragment Optimize Disk

2. Optimize and Defragment Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize and Defragment Drives: Doing a little system upkeep, like Disc Cleanup, but when I do the Optimize and Defragment Drives, Iobit Advanced system care comes up and does the scan. Is that OK, or should I Exit it, and have the regular scan go?...
  3. windows 10 disk defragment in local disk 'c' is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 disk defragment in local disk 'c' is not working: windows 10 disk defragment in local disk 'c' is not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-disk-defragment-in-local-disk-c-is-not/37417c4a-33a7-4c6f-bae5-987446693e7a
  4. Defragment and Optimization Tool

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragment and Optimization Tool: Since update to Version 2004, each and any time the Windows Tool to Defragment and Optimize the Hard Drive, I receive an Event Error Message, Event 264, " The storage optimizer couldn't complete retrim on OS C: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware...
  5. SSD optimize and defrag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD optimize and defrag: There is a place to set optimize and defrag on or off and to schedule if you wish. However, I have read that Windows does this itself in its own way. So should I turn mine off or leave it set to a month? 130044
  6. Windows Defrag and Optimize won't open with any method.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defrag and Optimize won't open with any method.: "Defrag and Optimize in Windows 10 will not open as of 3-31-19. The 2019-02 Cumulative Update for NET Framework for 4.7.2 for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64 KB4486553 was installed on 3-31-19 as well. Defrag worked a couple weeks ago. How to fix?...
  7. Optimize and Defrag Schedule issue

Optimize and Defrag Schedule issue: So i have had this to TRIM my SSD weekly it as such it is scheduled as such [img] Problem being it has NEVER did this weekly daily automatically I will randomly check this and it will say 20 ~40 days since last trim cause that how long it is before i actual check......
  8. Defrag and Optimize

Defrag and Optimize: What is a good optimizer with W10. Thanks 39959
  9. Defragment and Optimize C drive

Defragment and Optimize C drive: I can not get my C drive to optimize. It stays stuck on 6%. I have tried it 5 times and still will not go to O% optimized. [img] 104256
  10. Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!

Windows disk defragmenting and optimizing!: I really think MS should come up with a better way to put these two Disk Defragmenting and Optimizing into they're own seperate location that is meant for the different drive that users have on they're computer like put the Disk Defragmantation in the Hard disk drive location...