Windows 10: Defragment Tool and Thin Provisioned Drive

Discus and support Defragment Tool and Thin Provisioned Drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi All, I have an iSCSI Disk and media type is thin provisioned disk. I tried to perform defrag.exe d: /a, but it will show the error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BillyChiuSH, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Defragment Tool and Thin Provisioned Drive

Hi All,

I have an iSCSI Disk and media type is thin provisioned disk.

I tried to perform defrag.exe d: /a, but it will show the error message like below,

The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. 0x8900002A

I searched old question in the forum and know that the message is normal for SSD disk.

And I would like to confirm, if Windows treat the Thin Provisioned Disk and SSD as the same policy or not?

Or there is something wrong with my thin provisioned disk.

Thanks,

Billy

:)

BillyChiuSH, Dec 11, 2020

2. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Dec 11, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Defragment and Optimize Drives Problem

Hi Edward,

Based on the details you have provided, your C drive was unrecognized by the system. We suggest that you run these
    commands and see if there are any changes:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Run
      the following commands:

• To fix any logical file errors:

• Chkdsk C: /f /r

• To defrag your Drive C manually:

• Defrag C: /D /U

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Dec 11, 2020
  4. Defragment Tool and Thin Provisioned Drive

defrag will not open up in windows 10

Hi Fionna,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• Do you received any error message?

• How are you exactly trying to open defragment? Please elaborate the steps.
    • Which drive are you trying to defrag?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple steps and check if you are able to open the defragment. Follow the below steps.

• Go to file explorer and right click on the drive select Properties.
    • Click on Tool tab and click on Optimize and check if you are able to open defragment.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 11, 2020
Thema:

Defragment Tool and Thin Provisioned Drive

1. Defragment Tool and Thin Provisioned Drive - Similar Threads - Defragment Tool Thin

2. Optimize and Defragment Drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Optimize and Defragment Drives: Doing a little system upkeep, like Disc Cleanup, but when I do the Optimize and Defragment Drives, Iobit Advanced system care comes up and does the scan. Is that OK, or should I Exit it, and have the regular scan go?...
  3. Defraging drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defraging drive: I have Norton Utilities and have their optimizing operation as part of my normal maintenance process. I also use the Windows 10 Optimizing utility Properties/Tools/Optimize. My question is why there is such a difference in the results? I see a fragmention of 5+% in Windows 10...
  4. Defragmenting drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Defragmenting drive: So I opened the defragmenting app but it says my drives cannot be optimized, does anyone know why the drive cannot be optimized? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-drive/7fb54b9b-2e60-4c28-bbd0-5a3cd276c6d2
  5. Defragment and Optimization Tool

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragment and Optimization Tool: Since update to Version 2004, each and any time the Windows Tool to Defragment and Optimize the Hard Drive, I receive an Event Error Message, Event 264, " The storage optimizer couldn't complete retrim on OS C: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware...
  6. Defragment tool bugged?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defragment tool bugged?: I just checked the Defragmentation tool randomly and saw that the "Last analyzed or optimized" row says "Never run", even though back when I upgraded to Windows 10 5 months ago I've scheduled it to run weekly. I've checked it again 2 months ago and it was working fine, and so...
  7. Incorrect German translation in dfrgui.exe Drive Optimization/Defrag tool

in Windows 10 Customization
    Incorrect German translation in dfrgui.exe Drive Optimization/Defrag tool: There is an incorrect Translation in the defrag tool dfrgui.exe using German as language. This also affects older Windows Versions. The English text is for example: "Pass 3: 75% fragmentation." In German language settings it says: "Erfolgreich 3: 75% fragmentation", but...
  8. Defragment and Optimise Drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defragment and Optimise Drives: Hi All, When I go in to the services app in my Windows 10 HE, Defrag and Optimise Drives is not listed as a service. Also when I type in the search bar to bring up the app, nothing happens other than a very quick blink. I could go a cmd line, but I don't actually need to...
  9. runtime provisioning tool file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    runtime provisioning tool file: I don't have enough space to do much of anything...always getting a free up space warning. I' ve deleted about all the programs I can...the biggies too like Google Chrome and Norton 360. Still only have a ta over 2GB free on the small 30GB drive notebook. I saw a file the...
  10. " Defragment and Optimise Drives "

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    " Defragment and Optimise Drives ": Hi, First of all, I would like to describe the laptop that I have. I have an 128gb SSD which holds the OS on it and a 1 terabyte HDD which I use for all my programs, documents, music, videos etc etc, both came with the laptop. Now I know its safe and normal to defrag a HDD...