Windows 10: Defragmentation of drive.

Discus and support Defragmentation of drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My drives are fragmented to 24% and 28%. Defragmenting them is taking too long. What do i do?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ShashankLokesh, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Defragmentation of drive.

My drives are fragmented to 24% and 28%. Defragmenting them is taking too long. What do i do?

:)

ShashankLokesh, Nov 25, 2018

2. Questions related to defragmentation

Hello Bookum,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will help you out with the queries regarding disk defragmentation.

Defragmentation will work even if the computer goes to sleep mode.

However, if you face any issue, you can change the sleep mode time.

Follow the steps below:

• Type "power options" in start menu and select Power options.
    • Select "Change plan settings" next to "Balanced".
    • Change the time for sleep mode.

And, if you interrupt the defragmentation in between, the defragmentation will start from first when you perform again.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Nov 25, 2018
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Defragmentation not working, and new update causing crashes

Hi,

It is possible that Disk Defragmenter service has been disabled or not properly running on your PC, causing defragmentation issues. To troubleshoot this, kindly try these following methods:

Run System File Checker

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do so, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Run this command: SFC /scannow
    • This may take several minutes to finish. If Command Prompt shows Verification 100% complete, close the command prompt and check if your issue has been fixed.

Check Disk Defragmenter service

Disk Defragmenter service is required to perform disk defragmentation. If Disk Defragmenter service and other services that is required to perform disk defragmentation is disabled, you may encounter issues doing defragmentation. To troubleshoot this, follow
    these steps:

• In the search box, search and open Services.
    • Find Disk Defragmenter service, right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service Startup type is set to Manual.
    • Go back to the Services window and make sure that the Startup type of these services is set to Automatic:
      • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
      • DCOM Server Process Launcher
      • RPC Endpoint Mapper

Regarding your issue with the Windows Update, kindly answer these following questions for us to assist:

• What is the update that you are trying to install (KB16XXXX)?
    • What are the specifications of your PC?
    • Do you receive any error messages when encountering a system crash?

We'll be looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Nov 25, 2018
  4. John Zab Win User

Defragmentation of drive.

defragmentation

Hi Richard,

We have a couple of workarounds for defragmentation issues, try the following:

Method 1: Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 10.

• Press Windows key+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter chkdsk /f.
    Method 2:
    Run System File Checker (SFC)

Method 3: Check if Disk Defragmenter service is running properly.

This service is required for performing disk defragmentation, and if it’s disable, you won’t be able to run a defragmentation tool.

• Search for services.msc.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service is set to
      manual
    • Also, make sure that following services are set to Automatic:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

DCOM Server Process Launcher.

RPC Endpoint Mapper.
    Let us know how it goes.

John Zab, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Defragmentation of drive.

1. Defragmentation of drive. - Similar Threads - Defragmentation drive

2. External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated: Hi, I have an Acer laptop running windows 10. I have tried multiple times to defragment my external Hard Drive Seagate but every time it gets stuck at 0% consolidated.I have run CHKDSK and I am posting the log below - can you please help?I also have another question, due to a...
  3. External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated: Hi, I have an Acer laptop running windows 10. I have tried multiple times to defragment my external Hard Drive Seagate but every time it gets stuck at 0% consolidated.I have run CHKDSK and I am posting the log below - can you please help?I also have another question, due to a...
  4. External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated: Hi, I have an Acer laptop running windows 10. I have tried multiple times to defragment my external Hard Drive Seagate but every time it gets stuck 0% consolidated.I have run CHKDSK and I am posting the log below - can you please help?I also have another question, due to a...
  5. Unable to do disk defragmentation of Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to do disk defragmentation of Hard drive: SirI am unable to do disk defragmentation of Dell Laptop Hard drive other than SSD.It show a message any disk optimization when I click on OPTIMIZATION, NO action was performed. I have Windows 100 as operating system.Please help me...
  6. Unable to do disk defragmentation of Hard drive

Unable to do disk defragmentation of Hard drive: SirI am unable to do disk defragmentation of Dell Laptop Hard drive other than SSD.It show a message any disk optimization when I click on OPTIMIZATION, NO action was performed. I have Windows 100 as operating system.Please help me...
  7. Unable to do disk defragmentation of Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Disk Defragmenter shows other drives not visible in "This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Defragmenter shows other drives not visible in "This PC": Hi there. I would like to ask for anyone's thoughts. I've recently checked my Defragmenter. I'm using Windows 11 on a Dell Latitude 5400 Laptop. Would like to make sure my laptop is running well and does not have any virus. Upon checking "Advanced View" in my defragmenter, it...
  9. Disk Defragmenter shows other drives not visible in "This PC"

Disk Defragmenter shows other drives not visible in "This PC": Hi there. I would like to ask for anyone's thoughts. I've recently checked my Defragmenter. I'm using Windows 11 on a Dell Latitude 5400 Laptop. Would like to make sure my laptop is running well and does not have any virus. Upon checking "Advanced View" in my defragmenter, it...
  10. If defragmentation in SSD is a bad idea, then why does Windows 10 say your drive needs...

in Windows 10 Customization
    If defragmentation in SSD is a bad idea, then why does Windows 10 say your drive needs...: confused https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-defragmentation-in-ssd-is-a-bad-idea-then-why/275a24da-f3dc-4267-ae75-2afa91810bd3