Windows 10: Defragmenter

Discus and support Defragmenter in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since doing the Windows 10 May 2020 update last week my Disk Defragmenter /Optimiser shows not run. I have run the optimiser which seems to work OK but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BRIAN LOFTHOUSE, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Defragmenter

Since doing the Windows 10 May 2020 update last week my Disk Defragmenter /Optimiser shows not run. I have run the optimiser which seems to work OK but when I next reboot it shows not run ! I have performed a Scannow scan unsure what to try next any feedback would be welcome. Looked into SERVICES.MSC and it is set to manual and triggered whatever that means.

Brian

:)

BRIAN LOFTHOUSE, Jun 1, 2020

2. Questions related to defragmentation

Hello Bookum,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will help you out with the queries regarding disk defragmentation.

Defragmentation will work even if the computer goes to sleep mode.

However, if you face any issue, you can change the sleep mode time.

Follow the steps below:

• Type "power options" in start menu and select Power options.
    • Select "Change plan settings" next to "Balanced".
    • Change the time for sleep mode.

And, if you interrupt the defragmentation in between, the defragmentation will start from first when you perform again.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jun 1, 2020
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Defragmentation not working, and new update causing crashes

Hi,

It is possible that Disk Defragmenter service has been disabled or not properly running on your PC, causing defragmentation issues. To troubleshoot this, kindly try these following methods:

Run System File Checker

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. To do so, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Run this command: SFC /scannow
    • This may take several minutes to finish. If Command Prompt shows Verification 100% complete, close the command prompt and check if your issue has been fixed.

Check Disk Defragmenter service

Disk Defragmenter service is required to perform disk defragmentation. If Disk Defragmenter service and other services that is required to perform disk defragmentation is disabled, you may encounter issues doing defragmentation. To troubleshoot this, follow
    these steps:

• In the search box, search and open Services.
    • Find Disk Defragmenter service, right-click it, and select Properties.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service Startup type is set to Manual.
    • Go back to the Services window and make sure that the Startup type of these services is set to Automatic:
      • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
      • DCOM Server Process Launcher
      • RPC Endpoint Mapper

Regarding your issue with the Windows Update, kindly answer these following questions for us to assist:

• What is the update that you are trying to install (KB16XXXX)?
    • What are the specifications of your PC?
    • Do you receive any error messages when encountering a system crash?

We'll be looking forward for your response.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Jun 1, 2020
  4. John Zab Win User

Defragmenter

defragmentation

Hi Richard,

We have a couple of workarounds for defragmentation issues, try the following:

Method 1: Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 10.

• Press Windows key+X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the window that opens enter chkdsk /f.
    Method 2:
    Run System File Checker (SFC)

Method 3: Check if Disk Defragmenter service is running properly.

This service is required for performing disk defragmentation, and if it’s disable, you won’t be able to run a defragmentation tool.

• Search for services.msc.
    • Make sure that Disk Defragmenter service is set to
      manual
    • Also, make sure that following services are set to Automatic:

Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

DCOM Server Process Launcher.

RPC Endpoint Mapper.
    Let us know how it goes.

John Zab, Jun 1, 2020
Thema:

Defragmenter

1. Defragmenter - Similar Threads - Defragmenter

2. Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?: Disk defragmentation has been running for 17 hours. Current status is at pass1: 40% consolidated. I need to login into admin user account. Would it be OK if I leave the current process as it is and switch users?...
  3. Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I switch users while disk defragmentation is running?: Disk defragmentation has been running for 17 hours. Current status is at pass1: 40% consolidated. I need to login into admin user account. Would it be OK if I leave the current process as it is and switch users?...
  4. I can't find Disk defragmentation in Services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't find Disk defragmentation in Services: I could not find the Disk defragmenter service in the services section opened with services.msc. Does this service go by another name? Or maybe why, why doesn't it happen?...
  5. I can't find Disk defragmentation in Services

I can't find Disk defragmentation in Services: I could not find the Disk defragmenter service in the services section opened with services.msc. Does this service go by another name? Or maybe why, why doesn't it happen?...
  6. I can't find Disk defragmentation in Services

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defragmentation: I would like to check my hard drive for Defragmentation. How would I go about doing that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/02375801-2bf1-4b07-8868-e19461a73fbd
  8. Defragmentation

Defragmentation: I would like to check my hard drive for Defragmentation. How would I go about doing that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/02375801-2bf1-4b07-8868-e19461a73fbd
  9. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated

External Hard Drive Defragmentation stuck at 0% Consolidated: Hi, I have an Acer laptop running windows 10. I have tried multiple times to defragment my external Hard Drive Seagate but every time it gets stuck at 0% consolidated.I have run CHKDSK and I am posting the log below - can you please help?I also have another question, due to a...