Windows 10: Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ?

Discus and support Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I have a Sandisk 240GB SSD with Win10 installed and I have the built in defragment/optimizer task scheduled to TRIM out the OS partition of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by N9NU, Nov 20, 2015.

1. N9NU Win User

Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ?

Hi

I have a Sandisk 240GB SSD with Win10 installed and I have the built in defragment/optimizer task scheduled to TRIM out the OS partition of the drive on a weekly basis, however, I didn't know whether or not to have it optimize the other system partitions as well...the Recovery & EFI ones. Should I enable that as well?

It reports that both of those partitions need optimization.

Tim

:)

2. Windows 10 Defrag

Hopefully I'm in the proper category.

I have Windows 10 and was wondering how one can defrag & optimize the HDD. Though I do not have an SSD installed on my system, it lists my HDD partitions (OS, HP recovery partition, System, Office Click to Run partition) as SSDs. Both the Analyze and Optimize
    buttons are greyed, so I cannot manually initiate a defrag. It is set-up for an automatic weekly defrag. But, how can I run a manual defrag or do I have to set-up as a separate task? I have read the other threads on the defrag issue and none provide a proper
    answer.

I am using Windows 10 (version 1607/anniversary).

Thanks,

David

Doc-Westin, Nov 20, 2015
  3. graye Win User
    What is this on my Disk Defragmenter..........

When I do my Disk Defragmenter , I now have 3 drives..... HP 0% Defragmented , Factory Image 0% Defragmented and now \\?\Volume{1549f2 which reads Needs Optimization ( 12% Fragmented ) .

And it will not optimize the drive ????

This is most likely because the EFI System Partition is not normally mounted as a Read/Write volume.

So, again... this is not a problem that needs to be solved...

graye, Nov 20, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Usually those partitions are not or should not be used for storage of data, don't have much room on them anyway. One could defrag them but I never do. If on the SSD I'd think it best to use TRIM.

Berton, Nov 20, 2015
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Even if you tried you won't be able to and they're not required to be optimized either as there's simply no file activity on them anyhow.
    IOW, you may as well exclude these partitions from the optimization/defrag schedule.

Short of some external software trickery you won't be able to write to these either and in any case should not.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Defragmenting (Optimizing) SSD Win 10 Recovery & EFI Partitions ? - Similar Threads - Defragmenting Optimizing SSD

2. Windows 10 still defrags ssd's instead of optimizing!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 still defrags ssd's instead of optimizing!: When I run automatic maintenance from the security & maintenance screen windows 10 defragments my samsung 960 pro M.2 c: drive instead of optimizing it. I thought windows 10 was smart enough to not defragment ssd's under any circumstance? If I have the optimize drives window...
  3. need help with defrag and optimize issue in win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need help with defrag and optimize issue in win 10: will run defrag but after running and rebooting the computer it will show [ATTACH]o any help will be appreciated to get it fixed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-defrag-and-optimize-issue-in-win-10/984b71c4-4219-4bff-9b30-03c6c7ae6463
  4. SSD optimize and defrag

SSD optimize and defrag: There is a place to set optimize and defrag on or off and to schedule if you wish. However, I have read that Windows does this itself in its own way. So should I turn mine off or leave it set to a month? 130044
  5. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  6. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  7. Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?

Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?: I just noticed this today. I have a Samsung 960 EVO with Win 10 pro installed. I was monitoring something else with the Task Manager when I noticed that the optimize operation was running (Under the Task Manager it is listed as Service Host: Disk Defragmenter: Optimize...
  8. Defrag and Optimize

Defrag and Optimize: What is a good optimizer with W10. Thanks 39959
  9. Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD

Optimizing the Recovery Partition on a SSD: I have a feeling this has been asked before and the answer is “Just leave it, it doesn’t matter” I notice the recovery partition on my SSD is always reporting as “Never run” and “Needs optimizing” If you chose to optimize it does nothing. [img] Any advice on this...
  10. EFI and Recovery partitions.

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI and Recovery partitions.: new hp pavilion laptop, the 2 default partitions besides C: notice they are 100% free space, they both are before C: , however posts I have been reading call for them to be after C: for rebuilding them? -EFI system partition, according to wikipedia this is: "When a...