Windows 10: Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys

Discus and support Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have several apps on my desktop that I launch with shortcut keys. For instance, Ctrl-Shift-I launches Google so I can do an Internet search. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TonySee_46, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys

I have several apps on my desktop that I launch with shortcut keys. For instance, Ctrl-Shift-I launches Google so I can do an Internet search. I have been using these shortcut keys for years, as far back as Windows ME, and they have always been a great time saver. Ever since I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Professional, there is now a three- or four-second delay between the time that I type the shortcut key and the time the program actually launches. I have tried several proposed fixes, but nothing works. Every once in a while, like maybe once in a couple months, the delay will suddenly disappear and programs will launch instantaneously. This only lasts until I reboot the computer, then it's back to the delay. There was one article about Superfetch and disabling it, so I followed the directions to look for Superfetch and disable it, only to find that it doesn't exist -- at least not on my Windows 10. Does anybody have a REAL fix for this problem? I know other people are experiencing it.

:)

TonySee_46, Jun 3, 2020

2. 3 second delay when using shortcut key to launch program

I tried your suggestion to disable the Superfetch service but it didn't work.

It's clear the issue is caused by certain metro apps in the "suspended" state (as reported by the "Process Explorer" application). The 3 second shortcut key launch delay can be cured by killing all suspended metro apps, but certain apps keep re-spawning
    by themselves which make this a constantly recurring issue.

Donny Murgatroyd, Jun 3, 2020
  3. das10 Win User
    Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts

From reading around, my understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is that the 2-3 second delay is a Windows default delay where Windows searches for any other app or program running at the time on your PC which MIGHT have the same shortcut as the program you are running and switch over to it instead of running the program initiated by your shortcut. In case of any unresponsive or misbehaving app or program, Windows waits 2-3 seconds before moving on to the next running program.

see:
    Why is there sometimes a long delay between pressing a hotkey for a shortcut and opening the shortcut? The Old New Thing
    for this explanation

There are also some trouble shooting steps which you can try listed down the page here:
    slow windows desktop keyboard shortcuts - Super User

As regards the store and settings, I would try to reset at least the store app as per instructions here :
    Clear and Reset Store Cache in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

I would also disable fast startup at least once and do a full shutdown and restart as often times it helps to get rid of some bugs in Windows.

Hope this helps you narrow down the solution. Otherwise, just wait for someone else to chime in.

das10, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys

3 second delay when using shortcut key to launch program

I also have this problem, but I noticed that it only happens when Cortana is fully activated and the computer has gone through a power cycle.

E.g. When Cortana is off (there is therefore only local searches available), there is no launch delay when I use shortcut keys (for example, I tied "Alt Gr + W" to a "C:\WINDOWS\" icon sitting on the desktop so that I may access that folder faster). Explorer
    (or any other app) launches instantaneously, except for when the said target is located on a separate (sleeping) drive: in that case, the HDD needs to wake up and therefore causes some delay. However, most of my shortcuts lead to folders or apps living in
    the C:\ partition where Windows 10 is installed.

But when I do activate Cortana (giving it my name, enabling privacy and location settings, etc), still no delay (for the time being).

It's only AFTER I restart my computer that the shortcut keys get laggy, with the aforementioned 3-second delay.

My guess is that since Cortana and Windows have their own shortcut keys (like Windows key + Tab), they're analyzing your input to see whether you're calling to some Windows code or something user-created/defined.

Disabling Cortana (and thus restoring the basic search function) and rebooting Windows 10 will void the launch delay.

Oh, and disabling Superfetch or checking my notifications do squat for me. The problem sits square with Cortana.

EDIT: killing the Application Frame Host process in the Task Manager does solve the problem, but I don't fancy doing this all day long.

EDIT bis: well, just power-cycled my PC and it seems killing Superfetch/prefetch actually did the trick. I thought Samsung Magician (I have a 850 Pro SSD) had already disabled it to optimize speed/stability, but apparently it needed an additional nudge.

Schrödinger's Calico, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys

1. Delay in launch desktop shortcut keys - Similar Threads - Delay launch desktop

2. App launch delay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App launch delay: I am running Windows 10 Professional with the latest update. There is a noticeable several second lag when l launch an app from the command line or from keyboard shortcuts. There is no delay launching apps from the start menu or shortcut. I saw via Google query that ending...
  3. App launch delay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App launch delay: I am running Windows 10 Professional with the latest update. There is a noticeable several second lag when l launch an app from the command line or from keyboard shortcuts. There is no delay launching apps from the start menu or shortcut. I saw via Google query that ending...
  4. App launch delay

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. keys turned into shortcut key after launching a game

in Windows 10 Customization
    keys turned into shortcut key after launching a game: Keys have turned into shortcut keys after launching Max Payne 2001 game. But, it gets fixed after when I restart my computer. Does anyone know how to fix it? Also, my keys are not stuck....
  6. Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut keys not working on Desktop...: Hello, I upgraded my PC to 21H1 recently , and I have started facing some problems one after the other... And now I am unable to use an shortcut keys while on the Desktop like the Home Screen on the Windows 10. I am unable to use the shortcut keys like:- F5 RefreshF2 Rename a...
  7. Shortcut Keys For Desktop Apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut Keys For Desktop Apps: Im trying to use tvgamelauncher to seamlessly switch between monitors for when im racing and when im playing fps games so ive configured everything in the tvgamelauncher gui correctly and it all works however on my desktop shortcuts whatever shortcut key i make wont respond,...
  8. Browsers delayed launch

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers delayed launch: Hello everyone. I have a small (but irritating) problem that I need help with. Recently (can't exactly remember when) Firefox and Chrome started taking too long to launch. After launch there is no slowdown or choppiness, they both run fine. The time to launch for each browser...
  9. Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Delay launching programs with keyboard shortcuts: Hi Guys, Long time lurker but just registered ! So please bare with me. I just got a NEW PC so I installed Windows 10 Home on it. Now I am running into an issue that when starting a program via the Shortcut Key (Added via Right Click on Shortcut, and select Properties and...
  10. Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut keys not working for a desktop shortcut: I have a shortcut on the desktop. If you double click on it, it runs the target program just fine. Under 'properties' I have tried assigning various shortcut keys like Ctrl+Alt+N and none of them work. I have also deleted and recreated the desktop shortcut with no luck....