Windows 10: Delay in updating a folder icon

Discus and support Delay in updating a folder icon in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have a script that changes the folder icon automatically. This script is saved in SendTo system folder, so a user can very easily select one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by blackbutterfly, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Delay in updating a folder icon

Hello,
    I have a script that changes the folder icon automatically. This script is saved in SendTo system folder, so a user can very easily select one of the pre-defined icons from context (right-click) menu. It is working, but the problem is that there is delay. From running the script up to the showing updated icon of folder it takes 30-45 seconds(!!!). I read all possible forums and discussions, I have tried many workarounds, spend many hours trying to fix this, but still I cannot get rid of this delay *sarc.

The script creates desktop.ini (hidden system file) inside the selected folder. Icons (.ico files) are stored in hidden folder inside SendTo folder.

I have discovered that the icon is updated immediately when after the script did the job:
    1. I rename the folder
    2. I pin this folder to the Start

What is not acceptable for me:
    - rebuilt Icon Catalogue (advices include restarting explorer.exe or restarting PC)
    - too complex instruction for a potential user - it must be simple (right-click > Send To > select icon), done by script.

Please can you help me?

Windows Version number: 1809

:)

blackbutterfly, Nov 12, 2019

2. How to make a Uber Hidden Folder

• Make a new folder.
    • Change the icon to a blank icon. No icon should appear
    • Rename the folder to a blank by pressing "alt + 255." (NOTE: Press 255 on the numpad) No text should appear.
    • Your done! It is uber hidden. *Big Grin Delay in updating a folder icon :D

PVTCaboose1337, Nov 12, 2019
  3. wolf2009 Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

i dont think this answers the question , how do i make all icons in all folders appear "Large Icons" .

thx tho .

wolf2009, Nov 12, 2019
  4. psbecker Win User

Delay in updating a folder icon

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Delay in updating a folder icon

1. Delay in updating a folder icon - Similar Threads - Delay updating folder

2. Delaying Feature Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Delaying Feature Updates: I have just installed 1903 (Windows 10 Pro) from an ISO disc and wish to delay feature updates using GPedit I would some help with the following instructions given by MS When Selecting Semi-Annual Channel: - You can defer receiving Feature Updates for up to 365 days. - To...
  3. Delaying updates

Delaying updates: I followed these instructions until I got to #2. There is no "Schedule the restart." Where do I find that. This is Windows 10 Home. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update . Select Schedule the restart and choose a time that's...
  4. Delaying updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Delaying updates: I followed these instructions until I got to #2. There is no "Schedule the restart." Where do I find that. This is Windows 10 Home. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update . Select Schedule the restart and choose a time that's...
  5. Quick access folder icon not updating

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access folder icon not updating: Hello! So I'm having a small issue currently with Quick Access. When I'm pinning my Pictures folder in quick access, it displays the default Downloads icon instead of the Pictures one. I indeed changed my icon to the default Pictures one and it shows it in my user folder. But...
  6. new folder delay 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    new folder delay 30 seconds: When I right click and choose 'new folder' it now takes 30 seconds for it to complete that task. It just seems to go dead until it finally gives me the new folder I requested. This started after this last major windows update 2 days ago. I have Windows 10. Thanks for any...
  7. Delay Update Question

Delay Update Question: Thanks to the last botched Win10 update I figured I'd follow instructions to set a delay period. I set it to 100 days even though I really need way less than that. It's my understanding I've killed the auto update for 100 days. But... suppose I check for updates during that...
  8. Delaying Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delaying Updates: Hello Due to recent 'rumours' I took the decision to stop updates and using Windows Pro this gives the option of delaying them for some time. the OS build I am currently at is =Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 OS Build 17134.345. I have like mentioned paused the...
  9. Reducing the mouseover delay when selecting an icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Reducing the mouseover delay when selecting an icon: Hi, I'm using the option "Single Click to open an item" option and I notice a delay of half a second between the cursor making contact with the icon and it being selected. This isn' a huge deal but I would like to lower it if possible. Looked around for something involving...
  10. Folder Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Icons: I have a folder on my desktop with my game shortcuts in it set at show Large Icons, but after last months windows update it always opens with the icons in List mode, is there a way to always make it show Large Icons again, not really a problem but I like the large view over...