Windows 10: Delay in updating a folder icon

Discus and support Delay in updating a folder icon in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I have a script that changes the folder icon automatically. This script is saved in SendTo system folder, so a user can very easily select one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by blackbutterfly, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Delay in updating a folder icon

Hello,
    I have a script that changes the folder icon automatically. This script is saved in SendTo system folder, so a user can very easily select one of the pre-defined icons from context (right-click) menu. It is working, but the problem is that there is delay. From running the script up to the showing updated icon of folder it takes 30-45 seconds(!!!). I read all possible forums and discussions, I have tried many workarounds, spend many hours trying to fix this, but still I cannot get rid of this delay *sarc.

The script creates desktop.ini (hidden system file) inside the selected folder. Icons (.ico files) are stored in hidden folder inside SendTo folder.

I have discovered that the icon is updated immediately when after the script did the job:
    1. I rename the folder
    2. I pin this folder to the Start

What is not acceptable for me:
    - rebuilt Icon Catalogue (advices include restarting explorer.exe or restarting PC)
    - too complex instruction for a potential user - it must be simple (right-click > Send To > select icon), done by script.

Please can you help me?

Windows Version number: 1809

:)

blackbutterfly, Nov 12, 2019

2. How to make a Uber Hidden Folder

• Make a new folder.
    • Change the icon to a blank icon. No icon should appear
    • Rename the folder to a blank by pressing "alt + 255." (NOTE: Press 255 on the numpad) No text should appear.
    • Your done! It is uber hidden. *Big Grin Delay in updating a folder icon :D

PVTCaboose1337, Nov 12, 2019
  3. wolf2009 Win User
    How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

i dont think this answers the question , how do i make all icons in all folders appear "Large Icons" .

thx tho .

wolf2009, Nov 12, 2019
  4. psbecker Win User

Delay in updating a folder icon

Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Delay in updating a folder icon

1. Delay in updating a folder icon - Similar Threads - Delay updating folder

2. icons delayed

in Windows 10 Customization
    icons delayed: Hi so when I right click and refresh it takes almost 2 to 3 seconds for icons to re-appear. I tried using run maintenance defragment even SFC and DISM tool I know that 2 to 3 seconds is not that much but my laptop is fairly new and I'm kinda worried. Thanks...
  3. Update Delay

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Delay: Windows 10 Pro-16bit v1909. Hello again, Windows tells me I am up-to-date. v2004 'is on its way. It's been on its way for over 2 months now with no sign of it being installed. I have not paused updates. Check for Updates tells me only that I'm up-to-date and that 2004 is...
  4. Delaying updates

Delaying updates: A quote from a newsletter I got today: Microsoft removes manual deferrals from Windows Update by IT pros 'to prevent confusion' | ZDNet "Last year, we changed update installation policies for Windows 10 to only target devices running a feature update version that is nearing...
  5. delay updates

delay updates: the laptop does not usually connect to the internet. sadly i need to connect for a few minutes to put avg on before i download adobe photoshop. photoshop will be used for at most 5 weeks and does not (so i am told) need to be connected all the time - just occasionaly while...
  6. Delaying Feature Updates

Delaying Feature Updates: I have just installed 1903 (Windows 10 Pro) from an ISO disc and wish to delay feature updates using GPedit I would some help with the following instructions given by MS When Selecting Semi-Annual Channel: - You can defer receiving Feature Updates for up to 365 days. - To...
  7. Delaying updates

Delaying updates: I followed these instructions until I got to #2. There is no "Schedule the restart." Where do I find that. This is Windows 10 Home. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update . Select Schedule the restart and choose a time that's...
  8. Delaying updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Delaying updates: I followed these instructions until I got to #2. There is no "Schedule the restart." Where do I find that. This is Windows 10 Home. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update . Select Schedule the restart and choose a time that's...
  9. Delay Update Question

Delay Update Question: Thanks to the last botched Win10 update I figured I'd follow instructions to set a delay period. I set it to 100 days even though I really need way less than that. It's my understanding I've killed the auto update for 100 days. But... suppose I check for updates during that...
  10. Delaying Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delaying Updates: Hello Due to recent 'rumours' I took the decision to stop updates and using Windows Pro this gives the option of delaying them for some time. the OS build I am currently at is =Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 OS Build 17134.345. I have like mentioned paused the...