Windows 10: Delay when moving or deleting files

Discus and support Delay when moving or deleting files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I just did a lot of upgrades to my PC, and did a fresh install of Windows. I started running into a small problem that I haven't seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/CZonin5190, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Delay when moving or deleting files

Hey everyone,

I just did a lot of upgrades to my PC, and did a fresh install of Windows. I started running into a small problem that I haven't seen before. Whenever I move a file to another directory or delete it, there is a ~2 second delay. The transfer window will pop up, sit at 0% and then eventually move the file. Files will also still show in the original directory for a couple seconds after being moved before disappearing.

There definitely isn't anything on the hardware end that would cause it, but ill post my build below.

I've tried /sfc scannow and ran disk optimization to see if that would fix it but i'm still having the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type​
    Item​
    Price
    CPU
    $529.99 @ Best Buy
    CPU Cooler
    $149.99 @ Amazon
    Motherboard
    $269.99 @ Newegg
    Memory
    $169.99 @ Newegg
    Storage
    $349.99 @ Amazon
    Video Card
    $2039.98 @ Amazon
    Power Supply
    $230.34 @ Amazon
    Operating System
    $109.99 @ B&H
    Case Fan
    $24.90 @ Amazon
    Case Fan
    $24.90 @ Amazon
    Case Fan
    $14.59 @ Amazon
    Case Fan
    $14.59 @ Amazon
    Custom
    Sliger SM580​
    $289.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total
    $4218.24
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-17 22:01 EDT-0400​
    submitted by /u/CZonin5190
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/CZonin5190, Aug 17, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Delay with deleting/moving files

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and frustration you have been through. I will be glad to assist you.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have performed to try to resolve the issue.

1. What is the file size that you are trying to delete or move?

This could happen if the file size is more and your system is running multiple background application. Also may be if the computer have virus and malware.

I suggest you to follow the Methods below and check.

Method 1: Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Please follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer:

• Type “Control Panel” on the search box.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.

• Click on System Maintenance option.

• Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

• Check if it has improved the performance.

Method 2: Run the Microsoft safety scanner and check if your computer is infected by malware.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner Download - Windows security

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Disclaimer: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Aug 17, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Error: This Process Cannot Be Completed The File Is Open In Windows Explorer when deleting/moving a video file

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that when you are trying to delete or move some video files, you get an error, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know if the issue occurs while deleting/moving any other file.

We would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

Method 1: Close all background applications

We would suggest you to check if the file that you are trying to delete/move is open in background. If the file is open, close the file and then try deleting/moving it.

Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open
    Task Manager and look for the applications that you are not using while deleting/moving the file. Right click on them and select
    End Task.

Method 2: Turn off File preview in File Explorer

We can try turning off File preview in File Explorer and check if that helps in resolving the issue. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type control folders and click on
      OK.
    3. Click on View tab.
    4. Now, select the checkbox for Always show icons, never thumbnails.
    5. Click on OK.

Method 3: Safe Mode

If Turning off File preview doesn’t help, I would suggest you to boot the computer into Safe Mode and check if you are able to delete/move the file. Refer the steps mentioned in the article

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 17, 2020
  4. Delay when moving or deleting files

Deleting a file

Hi,

In order for us to assist you better, let us know few things to analyze the issue with deleting files in your computer.

• Are you receiving any error messages when deleting or moving the files?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Is it possible for you to send us a screenshot of the issue?
    Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

Delay when moving or deleting files

1. Delay when moving or deleting files - Similar Threads - Delay moving deleting

2. file deletion delay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file deletion delay: For a software project in which I participate the installation routine contains the following code PHP:unlinkgetcwd . '/index.php';unlinkgetcwd . '/prestashop.zip';renamegetcwd . '/index.php.temp', getcwd . '/index.php';It results in an "access denied" error for the last...
  3. file deletion delay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file deletion delay: For a software project in which I participate the installation routine contains the following code PHP:unlinkgetcwd . '/index.php';unlinkgetcwd . '/prestashop.zip';renamegetcwd . '/index.php.temp', getcwd . '/index.php';It results in an "access denied" error for the last...
  4. Can't delete or move files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete or move files: Hello, I've been facing this problem for some time now. Whenever I try to delete a file from my desktop, I get an error saying, "You require permission from DESKTOP-KMS727/Knightmare." Even though I am the admin, it has been very annoying. I've tried many things, but I think...
  5. Problem with moving/deleting files.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with moving/deleting files.: Hi guys, I've noticed that I have a problem with moving/deleting files and creating folder, the update speed it's not instantly. Let say I try to move one file from one location to another new location, I'll have to click the refresh icon of the file explorer, only then the...
  6. Moving or deleting files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving or deleting files: Hello While trying to move or remove certain files, I'm getting this warning: "If you move this file, Windows or another program may no longer work correctly." I DO KNOW you have responded to a very similar q. already, but, in this case, those files were copied from an...
  7. Slow/delay/stuck/freeze transfer rate when move files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow/delay/stuck/freeze transfer rate when move files: Hello, I have a problem when I moved files from drive to drive I have 3 drives include - SSD1 which come with notebook - SSD2 Samsung EVO 970 and HDD which come with notebook At first, I moved files from SSD1 to HDD and it was very slow It has many cases include -...
  8. Windows Fall update file deletion and delay.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Fall update file deletion and delay.: For those who had trouble with previous updates, this information on the Fall update provided by Microsoft should be read by everyone. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history...
  9. frozen when attempt to delete/move/rename a file

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    frozen when attempt to delete/move/rename a file: Trying to delete a file. As soon as I click on it it freezes Explorer. I've tried doing the same, delete, OR rename, via multiple other applications and in them I can click on them, and attempt a rename, but the application then freezes. If I try to delete, the deletion...
  10. Delete or moving files has a delay. Win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Delete or moving files has a delay. Win 10: Over last few weeks I have been noticing that when I go to delete a file or move it another folder it will actually take around 5-10 seconds to actually execute. I dont mean slow transfer but its like the process hangs for a bit. Weird thing is that it doesn't do it every...