Windows 10: Delay when playing music

Discus and support Delay when playing music in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have a slight delay when playing music after I haven't touched my laptop for a few minutes. It's as if the HDD goes to sleep and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GoUwSiE69, Dec 11, 2015.

1. GoUwSiE69 Win User

Delay when playing music

Hi everyone,

I have a slight delay when playing music after I haven't touched my laptop for a few minutes. It's as if the HDD goes to sleep and it has to spin up again before it can play the file. Now I know getting a SSD would solve my problem, but I can't afford that right now.

I have set my Hard drive to never go off in the power settings, but it doesn't solve my problem.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

:)

GoUwSiE69, Dec 11, 2015

2. Nokia 5300 with lotsa music on 2GB card: *PAINFULLY* slow to start playing

To figure out whether the Nokia card is any better than the SanDisk, I tried an experiment:

I took the 256mb Nokia card (211 MB of music on it, 94 songs of which 10 pre-installed ringtones). I then repeatedly did the following:

(a) checked the time for starting to play a song chosen in the "music player > music library > artist" section

(b) deleted some music files from the card via the "menu > gallery" did a "music player > music library > library update"

(c) back to (a)

That gives:

211MB music / 94 songs / 11-12 sec delay to start playing song

168MB music / 89 songs / 11 sec delay to start playing song

120MB music / 72 songs / 9-10 sec delay to start playing song

80MB music / 45 songs / 7-8 sec delay to start playing song

51MB music / 28 songs / 7 sec delay to start playing song

31MB music / 21 songs / 6 sec delay to start playing song

10MB music / 12 songs / 5 sec delay to start playing song

(in the end, I just had the 10 ringtones and 2 other songs).

THIS SHOWS CLEARLY that, when starting to play something from library, some process is running that has a duration that is a proportional function of the amount of music on the card.

Roughly summarizing:

- this test: 50 songs: 8 second delay; 100 songs: 12 second delay (Nokia 256mb card);

- top post of thread: 800 songs: 55 second delay (SanDisk 2gb).

I DO NOT BELIEVE the argument that this is a card problem. Rather, the music player software is simply doing something that (in the case of a large music collection) takes ages. I can only hope that they reprogram that thing, and release a fix PRONTO.

Let's not forget that Nokia is actively promoting the use of MusicExpress phones with 2GB memory cards.

fred_be9300, Dec 11, 2015
  3. kwiebe Win User
    Cortana plays music 3 minutes after she says "Playing X"

Thanks. I tried this but there was no change in behavior. It happens with all music. There is no delay when I give the command to skip a track, for example. After I wait 3 minutes for the music to play, if I issue the command to skip a track, it works
    fine. But if I give the command "Play music [different artist]" - it takes another three minutes to begin playing the different artist. This only happens with Cortana involved. There is no delay in finding the music as long as Cortana is not doing it.

kwiebe, Dec 11, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Delay when playing music

Check in your Device manager for Sound driver version, you can try upgrading it to newer driver and see whether it fixes the problem.
    Latest Realtek HD Audio Driver Version

brummyfan, Dec 12, 2015
Thema:

Delay when playing music

1. Delay when playing music - Similar Threads - Delay playing music

2. Playing Music

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Playing Music: I have just made the leap from Windows 7 to Windows 11, where is the option to play/play all feature in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-music/a2a95cec-4a26-4283-a80f-bb1124c7611f
  3. Playing Music

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Playing Music: I have just made the leap from Windows 7 to Windows 11, where is the option to play/play all feature in File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-music/a2a95cec-4a26-4283-a80f-bb1124c7611f
  4. Crackling sound when playing music

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Crackling sound when playing music: I heard crackling sound when playing music on Chrome, Edge browser, even I plugged in headphone I still heard that sound. Except playing music on local disk, I didn't hear that. By the same time, my laptop has worked slower than before since the issue appeared. I tried...
  5. "Digital Delay" when playing games.

"Digital Delay" when playing games.: So, recently I've had this problem where I press one of WASD for around 20ms used a tester to test this and from time to time it 'digitally' stays down for around 100ms+ randomly. Since I play the game Rocket League, if I wanted to turn my car say 20 degrees to the right, it...
  6. Play music when afk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Play music when afk?: Is there a way to play music when afk? Any useful apps? submitted by /u/Drumstix360 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jyq4ui/play_music_when_afk/
  7. Stuttering when playing music

Stuttering when playing music: Hi. I have a sound problem and I don't know what to do about it. Once in a few Windows launches, the sound often stutters. What could be the reason? System: Windows 10 1909. CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming 5, latest bios F50a RAM: 2x8GB Team Group...
  8. Shacking screen when I play music

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shacking screen when I play music: My laptop screen is shacking up more when I play music and video, and make it hang sometime until I shut down. Now, my laptop screen has been shacking all the time. I couldn't find to solve this problem, please help me out. Thanks...
  9. PLAYING MUSIC

PLAYING MUSIC: HOW DO I PLAY MUSIC ON WINDOWS 10 FROM A CD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/playing-music/cf886afb-a2a1-4f5e-949e-a032496a3530
  10. Music and Videos stutter when playing back

in Windows 10 Support
    Music and Videos stutter when playing back: Hello all, This has been an issue that has been going on for quite some time now. It is weird because it seems to be pretty inconsistent as to when the issue happens. I will do my best to describe my issue. When I listen to spotify there is a stuttering noise, like a CD...