Windows 10: Delayed Network Connectivity after Sleep or Startup

Discus and support Delayed Network Connectivity after Sleep or Startup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro installation on an ASUS Z170-A motherboard, Intel i5-660K processor, and an embedded Gigabit Intel LAN connection with an Intel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PJLLB, May 25, 2016.

1. PJLLB Win User

Delayed Network Connectivity after Sleep or Startup

I have Windows 10 Pro installation on an ASUS Z170-A motherboard, Intel i5-660K processor, and an embedded Gigabit Intel LAN connection with an Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN network adapter with current drivers and BIOS. Upon startup/sign in or after sleep the network does not connect immediately. It can take 5-10 seconds or more to regain the network connectivity. Does anyone have any advice on this?

:)

PJLLB, May 25, 2016
  2. thexyz Win User

Network drives don't reconnect on Windows 10 boot up

This is a common issue and it persists for years now. It's there since ever and Microsoft does not seem to fix it. I have read tons of articles and forum posts but there is not real, full functional or practicable solution. I tried every registry hack out
    there but nothing worked for me.

You are already on the right way with the script but there are more things to consider e.g. network delay, connectivity delay and so on which requires a more advanced solution. I created a Github project which solves the problem you described, it uses different
    fallbacks to restore any drive if not available during restart, startup or after hibernate / sleep. Please feel free to try the solution, contribute or participate

Network Share Reconnecter

thexyz, May 25, 2016
  3. Whenever I put my laptop to sleep or hibernate and open it back on, the wireless network adapater needs to be reset in order for it to recieve Wi-Fi again

Is not turned off. Whenever the device wakes up from sleep, it can detect networks. When I try to connec to a network, it will state 'Connecting' after awhile, it will state 'Can't connect to this network'. In order for me to have the a bility to connect,
    I need to go and reset the wireless network adapter.

Summary:

The wireless network adapter is not set to turn off after sleep. It is turned on but cannot connect to a network after wake.

OrdinaryGentleman, May 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

That is typical behavior. If the device does not get the IRQ request for a while, it will sit there waiting.

Also with the Wifi on the Gateway, it can drop the lease and the computer could still have the old lease info.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  5. PJLLB Win User
    The IP assignment is static. This is not a WiFi issue, it is the Ethernet connection. I do not believe this is typical behavior in my experience. My other computer with an ASUS P8P67 motherboard with a Realtek 8111E Gigabit LAN controller does not exhibit this behavior.

PJLLB, May 25, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It really does not matter. This has been an ongoing issue since XP SP3. It is an issue with Sleep State S3, that the manufacturer and Microsoft refuses to resolve.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  7. PJLLB Win User
    Why do the specifics I indicated not matter?

PJLLB, May 25, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Because it has been an issue since XP SP3 as I stated above.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  9. PJLLB Win User
    You missed the point that this behavior does not occur on the other system I use, and further I have never seen it before in dealing with multiple (literally thousands) of systems in an enterprise IT environment.

I am hopeing someone else has something constructive to offer. Thanks.

PJLLB, May 25, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Incorrect. The behavior has been around as I stated since XP SP3. It is both a Microsoft and OEM of Motherboards and computer issue, that neither will own up to.

If you do not have on the device in Device Manager to place unit to sleep. It is the same problem that has been ongoing since the day that XP SP3 was released.

The S3 state is the normal sleep state. When thr machine wakes up, the Network adapters are the last thing to come back to life. In turn they end up not seeing the A/P Beacon, because the Gateway or A/P has stopped looking for the device and has throttled down to conserve power if it does not have the extra packets from the device that you are dealing with.

You can check PowerCfg for any issues with Sleep behavior. It may also mean changing the advanced power settings.

This is not my first rodeo in dealing with this issue. I have dealt with it since XP SP3 came out, with friends who have dealt with the problem with certain OEM computers and network chipsets.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    I also highly doubt that you have seen thousands of workstations in the Enterprise with this issue. Since workstations are not allowed to be powered down on a Domain, unless IT and management tells the workers to power them down.

If it does ever happen on a Domain. It is an easy fix if you know what you are doing.

Someone may come along and aak you to go through some tests. But the overall consensus is what I have stated twice already.

I have been doing this stuff for almost 40 years. I do know a thing or two about computers and networking.

I probably spend more time dealing with servers and networking then those who work with them in a workplace.

bro67, May 25, 2016
  12. PJLLB Win User
    You may highly doubt that I saw this but I did, and your assertion on domain policies did not apply to the enterprise in question.

Since you are the only one replying there is no "consensus of opinion." (You cannot have a consensus with only one person's opinion.)

Thank you again for your opinion, but is of no help. It is simply a complaint about a behavior that does not match my prior experiences.

PJLLB, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Delayed Network Connectivity after Sleep or Startup - Similar Threads - Delayed Network Connectivity

2. after sleep mode.... delayed reactions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after sleep mode.... delayed reactions: creating a new discussion because no answers to the question from May in recent days, with new tests. anything suggested as a solution, no matter how irrelevant, made no difference. This is frustrating. But at least now I don't have to hit the reset button to use my pc. Link...
  3. after sleep mode.... delayed reactions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    after sleep mode.... delayed reactions: creating a new discussion because no answers to the question from May in recent days, with new tests. anything suggested as a solution, no matter how irrelevant, made no difference. This is frustrating. But at least now I don't have to hit the reset button to use my pc. Link...
  4. Word 2016 delayed startup after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word 2016 delayed startup after update: After installing Update for Microsoft Office2016 KB5002141 32 bit edition and 2022-04 Update for Windows 10 for x64-based systems KB4023057, on one of my computers Word 2016 takes 5 minutes to start. This only happens once after a Windows restart. Subsequent Word starts are...
  5. Word 2016 delayed startup after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Word 2016 delayed startup after update: After installing Update for Microsoft Office2016 KB5002141 32 bit edition and 2022-04 Update for Windows 10 for x64-based systems KB4023057, on one of my computers Word 2016 takes 5 minutes to start. This only happens once after a Windows restart. Subsequent Word starts are...
  6. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delayed wifi connection on startup: I had posted this question a couple times before but was never solved until now. I wanted to share with others what finally solved the problem for me. I had a delayed wifi connection on startup where it used to connect instantly but then suddenly started taking a minute or...
  7. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delayed wifi connection on startup: I had posted this question a couple times before but was never solved until now. I wanted to share with others what finally solved the problem for me. I had a delayed wifi connection on startup where it used to connect instantly but then suddenly started taking a minute or...
  8. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Delayed wifi connection on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Delayed wifi connection on startup: My wifi used to connect almost instantly on startup. Recently it has started taking 1 min after startup before it will connect automatically. It can connect instantly manually by either unchecking and checking "connect automatically" or by hitting "connect". It just wont do...
  10. Network Connection at Startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Connection at Startup: PC (Windows 10 Home) find the wrong network connection when at startup (Intel(R) 82579V Network Connection #2). If I ask it to restart or use device manager to scan for new hardware it finds the correct network connection (Intel(R) 82579V Network Connection). Netsh shows only...