Windows 10: 'Delayed write failed' message keeps appearing for external hard drive Toshiba

Discus and support 'Delayed write failed' message keeps appearing for external hard drive Toshiba in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I accidently disconnected my Toshiba hard drive while deleting an old Norton Backup and now I have an unending error message that the delayed write... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by wl2010M, Jul 16, 2020.

1. wl2010M Win User

'Delayed write failed' message keeps appearing for external hard drive Toshiba

I accidently disconnected my Toshiba hard drive while deleting an old Norton Backup and now I have an unending error message that the delayed write failed ... how do I end it??? thanks ...

:)

wl2010M, Jul 16, 2020

2. Gettign error "device is write protected" for External Hard drive in Windows 10

Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Are you getting the same error when you access the External Hard drive on another computers?

When you see the message "Device is Write Protected", then it indicates that you have limited set of privileges for performing operation on the Hard disk. In simple, you're not allowed to write the drive, apart from reading it. This because the drive is
    write-protected. Suggest you to try with the below steps and check it they help you.

1. Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt(Admin).

2. Type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Now type list volume and press Enter. Now see the volume number the external drive.

4. Then type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive which is showing "write-protected" error. Example,
    select volume 3.

5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.

• Executing the above command line will reset the Hard drive USB's properties by clearing the Read-Only behavior, so that it is no longer read-only.
    6. Type exit and press Enter. Now check if it allows you do access the drive for writing the content.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 16, 2020
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Tony,

I realize that you are facing the issue connecting the external hard drive in Windows 10, let me assist you.

To assist you better, let us know the following details.

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed in your system?
    • What is the make and model of your system?
    • Do other USB devices are getting connected to the system?

As an initial step if troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the external hard drive through different USB ports and check if it is getting detected, also try connecting the same external hard drive to a different Windows 10 system.

Also, connect the external hard drive to the system and check whether the device is shown in Device Manager.

• Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press
      Enter key.
    • Click on View option and click on Show hidden devices.
    • Check whether the device is shown.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Jul 16, 2020
  4. Mark Isi Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

1. 'Delayed write failed' message keeps appearing for external hard drive Toshiba - Similar Threads - 'Delayed write failed'

2. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  3. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  4. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  5. Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Toshiba 1Tb external hard drive: Drive won't be recognized by Windows 10. Toshiba states it's because of a windows 10 update. How do I remedy this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/toshiba-1tb-external-hard-drive/c97c98c0-f558-41d9-9099-f8690942888e
  6. Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Toshiba external hard drive not recognized: [ATTACH] This is a Toshiba 3Tb external hard drive I have used in the past and it worked fine until one day I got this error. I have tried updating drivers, windows says I have the latest version. I've looked into partitioning, windows doesn't even show the hard drive. I...
  7. Toshiba external hard drive appears in device management but not in windows explorer

Toshiba external hard drive appears in device management but not in windows explorer: This question appears to have been asked several times, but the solutions out there are not working for me. The #1 fix has been to "assign the drive with a new letter." However, when I right-click the volume within Disk Management, all of the options are grayed out except for...
  8. Toshiba external hard drive (HDD)1TB

Toshiba external hard drive (HDD)1TB: Hello, I have the above HDD and used it for storage for some while. I can no longer access the device. When I connect it to my laptop a light inside the unit flashes indicating it is receiving power. However, when I try to access the unit through "this pc" it is not showing...
  9. Toshiba external hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Toshiba external hard drive: windows 10. I installed the harddrive. did everything by the book. The device has been recognised and the owners manual uploaded to device, then I backed up to device, but can't open any files. The file icons are shown, but don't show size and I can't open any?...
  10. Toshiba external hard drive not detectible

Toshiba external hard drive not detectible: I have a Toshiba DWC250 5TB external drive formatted ReFS that I cannot detect in either Disk Management or by using DiskPart/List Disk. Cabling and power are sound. The unit is not user serviceable because the case is not designed to be opened. I use it in a storage pool on...