Windows 10: Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane

Discus and support Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have noticed a GUI issue with File Explorer that is intermittent. It seems to appear at some times, then a Windows update fixes it, then it comes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by arachnaut, Sep 28, 2015.

1. arachnaut Win User

Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane

I have noticed a GUI issue with File Explorer that is intermittent. It seems to appear at some times, then a Windows update fixes it, then it comes back in another update.

The symptom is a long delay when copying files from one File Explorer window to another.

What happens is this - when the mouse cursor doing the drag passes over the navigation pane on the left side, it usually passes over a drive very briefly. At that moment, the GUI thinks I want to do something on that drive so it pauses a moment to check something, then it goes on again where it left off.

This does not happen if I copy or cut and paste folders.

There may be some internal delay value that is used to avoid this sort of thing and it gets changed every now and then.

I do have a lot of Drives and Volumes, so there's no easy way to avoid passing over them. But I've never been in the habit of copy/paste, so I keep on doing it.

Does anyone know what can be done about this?

:)

arachnaut, Sep 28, 2015

2. Why has this QUICK ACCESS icon suddenly shown up on my Desktop?

One drawback of the tweak is that it breaks drag-drop support in Nav. pane.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Explorer Displaying External HDD Twice

Hi James,

Both require editing the registry.

See the post here by BMTripp for removing the duplicate drives in the nav pane.

duplicate usb drives in windows 10 file explorer - Microsoft Community

duplicate usb drives in windows 10 file explorer

There is a registry edit to remove Quick Access *but* it also removes drag-drop functionality in the navigation pane.

How to remove Quick access from File Explorer in Windows 10 | Windows Central

How to remove Quick access from File Explorer in Windows 10

I’ve noticed that instead of a0600000, if you set it 88000 (0x00088000), you can hide Quick access and at the same time, preserve the drag-drop functionality in the navigation pane. The Quick access icon (the blue star) isn’t removed though, but it appears
    dimmed or ghosted and not as prominent as before.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-quick-access-other-shell-folders-file-explorer/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 28, 2015
Thema:

Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane

1. Delays in File Explorer while drag and drop over nav pane - Similar Threads - Delays File Explorer

2. Minimizing window while dragging and dropping a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimizing window while dragging and dropping a file: While dragging and dropping a file from one window to another window/app the window that I'm dragging the file from does not minimize. Right now when ever I'm doing this I have to first position both windows so that I can drag and drop it but it would be much easier if the...
  3. Minimizing window while dragging and dropping a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Minimizing window while dragging and dropping a file: While dragging and dropping a file from one window to another window/app the window that I'm dragging the file from does not minimize. Right now when ever I'm doing this I have to first position both windows so that I can drag and drop it but it would be much easier if the...
  4. Reading Pane Nav Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reading Pane Nav Bar: Within file explorer you can activate the Preview Pane, something that sometimes is missing from the Reading Pane is the navigational bar that allows you to manipulate the PDF in file explorer without having to open the PDF. I am trying to find out how to get this navigation...
  5. Reading Pane Nav Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reading Pane Nav Bar: Within file explorer you can activate the Preview Pane, something that sometimes is missing from the Reading Pane is the navigational bar that allows you to manipulate the PDF in file explorer without having to open the PDF. I am trying to find out how to get this navigation...
  6. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  7. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer: Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer. I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer....
  8. Explorer context menus immediately over-rides Drag & Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer context menus immediately over-rides Drag & Drop: The vast majority of the time, whenever I try to drag & drop files from one folder to another while pressing the right mouse button in Explorer (i.e, to change the behavior from the default to either copy or move), the Explorer context menu almost immediately takes over,...
  9. Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer: I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer. For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure. I am however able to copy and paste....
  10. File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work: Hello, when I try to drag and drop a file using file explorer, it shows a red "unavailable" icon. I also haven't found a way to disable the annoying time and date text at the bottom left of the lock screen (which was easily done in Windows 8.1 as documented on...