Windows 10: Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu

Discus and support Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My first post here. I searched here but could not find an answer, maybe someone can shed some light on this. I am trying to help an elderly friend who... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by awwall, Mar 10, 2016.

1. awwall Win User

Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu

My first post here. I searched here but could not find an answer, maybe someone can shed some light on this. I am trying to help an elderly friend who has run into a problem that neither of us can solve. I consider myself pretty savvy on computers, but this one has me stumped.

He called and said he could no longer delete unwanted files. I stepped though the normal steps of finding the file, right clicking on it, move down context menu, and then select Delete. However, here lies the problem. He has no Delete to select, nor does he have a Cut to select. I even had him try to select the file and use the "Red X" at the top menu bar, however, when he selects a file, the top menu bar switches from the Home to the File tab. When he selects the Home tab, the files he selected gets de-selected.

Hope I made this clearer than mud...sure could use some options to try.

Thanks

:)

awwall, Mar 10, 2016

2. Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu

Now I know what advice I can give to people-scan for malware and virus. Your system still does not work-just restart your computer.

Seems like this is the consensus of anyone trying to help others.m I thought ot was going to be really hard because I do not know enough about computers until now.

daveeeeeeeeeeee, Mar 10, 2016
  3. Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu

My first post here. I searched here but could not find an answer, maybe someone can shed some light on this. I am trying to help an elderly friend who has run into a problem that neither of us can solve.
    I consider myself pretty savvy on computers, but this one has me stumped.

He called and said he could no longer delete unwanted files. I stepped though the normal steps of finding the file, right clicking on it, move down context menu, and then select Delete. However, here lies
    the problem. He has no Delete to select, nor does he have a Cut to select. I even had him try to select the file and use the "Red X" at the top menu bar, however, when he selects a file, the top menu bar switches from the Home to the File tab. When he selects
    the Home tab, the files he selected gets de-selected.

Hope I made this clearer than mud...sure could use some options to try.

Thanks

AnthonyWall_ms, Mar 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, as no-one's thought of a brilliant answer yet, here's what I'd do. Losing these is- unusual.

Sure you could (eventually) import the relevant section of the registry from a working PC, if you could find it, but that's not trivial and if you have a problem like this, sthg else has probably been corrupted

So try a very good repair technique, one of the best features of Win 10 (I think):
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This
    - keeps all your programs and most settings
    - creates Windows.old
    - can take a long time, depending on your hardware (it's virtually a Windows installation)
    - turns off system restore
    - means you have to redo Win updates from November (perhaps total 3 or so)
    - may mean you have to set up or Wifi connection again (if you have Wifi)

It's very useful to keep a bootable version of Win 10 for this and other reasons.

I recommend for safety that you create a disk image of what you have now BEFORE doing this, and maintain your disk image thereafter so you can quickly restore your PC to a working state without technical help.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + large enough external storage.

Good luck.

dalchina, Mar 12, 2016
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete and Cut missing from File Explorer Context Menu - Similar Threads - Delete Cut missing

2. Create New RTF file missing from Context Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create New RTF file missing from Context Menu: I have tried every registry hack I can find but Windows 11 ignores them completely. I was able to get "new text file" added back in, but "New RTF file" just won't come back. I'm so frustrated with this. I even made sure to associate all RTF files with WordPad instead of MS...
  3. Explorer context menu new items are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer context menu new items are missing: Hi,I am using Windows 11 and this started happening today.When I right click, it shows the explorer right click context menu, which includes New. If I hover over that, it shows a bunch of different office apps to choose from. However, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is not in...
  4. Explorer context menu new items are missing

Explorer context menu new items are missing: Hi,I am using Windows 11 and this started happening today.When I right click, it shows the explorer right click context menu, which includes New. If I hover over that, it shows a bunch of different office apps to choose from. However, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is not in...
  5. Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right-click context menu in File Explorer missing: Somehow, my entire "New" submenu is missing in File Explorer. I tried adding the registry entry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. as shown below, but it didn't help.Under ContextMenuHandlers check if you can find a key by name New, if...
  6. Customize File Explorer context menu?

Customize File Explorer context menu?: I tried searching the tutorials but came up empty . . . Is it possible to customize the file explorer context menu to remove items you don't want to appear on the menu? The "context" in this case is the menu that appears when you click on a .txt file, an image file or a...
  7. When trying to delete multiple files.. Delete entry missing from the desktop context menu....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When trying to delete multiple files.. Delete entry missing from the desktop context menu....: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/okweb1989 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ha21ji/when_trying_to_delete_multiple_files_delete_entry/
  8. Options missing from file context menu.

Options missing from file context menu.: when I go to file explorer and open a file and I want to cope or deleted it I right click on the file and and window open up and I cant see the words to fine cope or deleted. How do I change it so I can see the words when I right click. ***Title changed from: [missing...
  9. foobar2000 options missing from Window Explorer context menu

foobar2000 options missing from Window Explorer context menu: I don't have the options to play a folder or queue tracks in foobar2000 anymore in Windows Explorer context menu. I've already checked Shell Integration on foobar2000 Preferences, and "Folder context menus" box is already checked. Apparently, the foobar2000 context menu...
  10. Missing "delete" and "cut" option from context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing "delete" and "cut" option from context menu: I've just upgraded to Windows 10 and when I use the file explorer, the "delete" and "cut" is missing from the context menu when I press right-click with mouse on the file and folder. Is there anyone that knows how to add these features into the context menu because it becomes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer lost delete in menu

2. delete option is missing from file explorer

3. delete and cut option not coming up in file explorer

4. cut and delete missing from windows,
  5. cut and delete missing from context menu of sd card,
  6. cut and delete missing,
  7. cut copy are missing from file explorer