Windows 10: Delete desktop item but the icon stays

Discus and support Delete desktop item but the icon stays in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just that. I have several short cuts on the desktop, some of which are downloads. Once I have finished with the shortcut I delete it (I'm asked to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bertie11, Feb 4, 2018.

1. bertie11 Win User

Delete desktop item but the icon stays

Just that. I have several short cuts on the desktop, some of which are downloads. Once I have finished with the shortcut I delete it (I'm asked to confirm deletion) but the icon is still there. If I then try to delete it again I'm told that it doesn't exist or has moved.

Then if I reboot the icon has gone! Any idea how I can fix this please?

Thanks.

Windows 10 - all updates.

:)

bertie11, Feb 4, 2018
  2. Dvj2302 Win User

Recycle Bin No Refreshing on Start Menu

I've been facing this issue for the last few months.

The recycle bin icon (It is not a custom icon. Just the plain old one) does not refresh on the start menu but does refresh on the desktop. If I empty the desktop icon and then pin it to start, the icon on the start menu stays empty despite my having moved new
    stuff to the recycle bin.

Similarly, if the recycle bin icon on the desktop is full and I add it to the start menu then, it stays full despite my having deleted the contents.

I've tried interchanging the full and empty icons and back to no avail.

Please help!

Dvj2302, Feb 4, 2018
  3. RPG17A Win User
    Unable to remove desktop icon Windows 10

Hi

Your subject is that you're unable to remove desktop icons but your post says that you can(?) If you click or touch an item to select it and then press delete then it will be deleted as per the instruction.

RPG17A, Feb 4, 2018
  4. Delete desktop item but the icon stays

The NTFS file system could be corrupted and needs repair.

Please open the Command Prompt by typing cmd.exe into Start Screen or Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

Type below command and press Enter key:

Code: Chkdsk C: /f[/quote] You will be prompted to schedule a error checking for C: partition type Y and press Enter key.

You will have to reboot your computer to repair the NTFS file system for the C: partition.

FreeBooter, Feb 4, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello bertie, *Smile

This can sometimes happen when there's an issue with your desktop not refreshing.

As a workaround, manually refreshing the desktop (F5 or right click on desktop > Refresh) should clear it.

Brink, Feb 4, 2018
  6. bertie11 Win User
    Thanks Brink, nice and easy, I should have thought of that!

And thanks FreeBooter, good ole chkdsk, again I had forgotten that as well.

bertie11, Feb 4, 2018
  7. We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Feb 4, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete desktop item but the icon stays - Similar Threads - Delete desktop item

2. items are marked for deletion at desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    items are marked for deletion at desktop: while selecting any items in desktop, message pops up for deletion requestDesktop icons are marked for deletion by default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/items-are-marked-for-deletion-at-desktop/33dcbc04-7929-454d-97ce-f1a6e8538d0f
  3. items are marked for deletion at desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    items are marked for deletion at desktop: while selecting any items in desktop, message pops up for deletion requestDesktop icons are marked for deletion by default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/items-are-marked-for-deletion-at-desktop/33dcbc04-7929-454d-97ce-f1a6e8538d0f
  4. Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder): Ok, so I'm by no means a tech luddite, but this one has me stumped even after trawling some forums. When I delete "some" icons from my desktop the icon does not actually disappear. It stays there on my desktop but is no longer active. I cannot click on it or interact with it...
  5. Item on Desktop won't delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Item on Desktop won't delete: I have an item on my Desktop. It used to have the image of a folder over the last few days, but just now I looked at it and it looks like a document page? In any case, I'm not able to delete it via any means that I know of. I searched here last night and found a few...
  6. Can't delete an icon on the Desktop- "Could not find this item"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete an icon on the Desktop- "Could not find this item": I have an error or somthing i don't know, there is an icon on my desktop and when i delete it a window pop ups and said "Item not found" like the picture below but the icon was still there, how can i delete this annoying icon [ATTACH] * Original title: Help me pls...
  7. Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop: I've been trying to delete folders on my desktop but They won't delete. Files are deleting just fine but when I try deleting a folder, it gives me this processing tab: [img] and "completes" the deletion but the folder never ends up getting deleted. It can be opened,...
  8. Camera Roll Icon on Desktop will not stay 'DELETED'!

in Windows 10 Support
    Camera Roll Icon on Desktop will not stay 'DELETED'!: For some reason, and I think it was a Win10 Update that caused it, the 'Camera Roll' Shortcut keeps coming back onto the Desktop Screen when I delete it. I read a much older post where it seemed to be linked to One Drive and a Photos App but One Drive is blocked from...
  9. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons won't stay put...: Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do...
  10. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....