Windows 10: Delete / Disassociate an old Microsoft Account

Discus and support Delete / Disassociate an old Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I created a new Microsoft Account and purchased a family license for Office 365. I have an old "work" account associated on the same Surface tablet.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BWonlinehelp, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Delete / Disassociate an old Microsoft Account

I created a new Microsoft Account and purchased a family license for Office 365.

I have an old "work" account associated on the same Surface tablet.

I need to delete this prior account.

I cannot find the delete option.

Many thanks

:)

BWonlinehelp, Sep 14, 2020
  2. vexorg Win User

User account now has wrong microsoft email tied to it

Didn't work. I had already deleted the email account as I didn't want the thousands of junk emails on my drive.

The problem seems to be the Microsoft account below that email option in step 3. I cant disassociated that from my local account. If I go into manage that account then it takes me to his Microsoft web account manager.

vexorg, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Old Microsoft account issue.

Tom,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

Since the issue is still facing, you may try the below steps and check.

Step 1: Change your old account type from Microsoft account to Local account and then delete this old account by logging into some administrator account.

To switch to a Local Account follow these steps:

• Login to your old account.
    • Press “Windows key +X”.
    • Go to Settings
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • You will get an option “Switch to a Local account” right below your user account name.
    • Select “Switch to a local account” option.
    • Enter the required details.
    Step 2: Login to some other account which has administrator privilege and delete the old account.

• Click on Start and select
      Settings
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now select Family & other users.
    • Here you find your old account, just select and click on
      Remove.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 14, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Delete / Disassociate an old Microsoft Account

Old user account with Microsoft account reappeared on the computer

Hi Graham,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It is very unusual that the old profile has reappeared on the computer.

Ideally, the old profile will only reappear if System Restore has been performed on the computer. We would like to if you are aware of any changes made to the computer.

As you have mentioned that your Microsoft account is linked to your old profile, I would suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to a local account by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the old account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on Accounts and select
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    4. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

After converting the account to a local account, if you wish to delete the account, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the newly created account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    3. Type control and click on
      OK
    4. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    5. Now, click on User Accounts.
    6. Click on Manage another account and select the user account that you want to remove.
    7. Click on Delete the account and select
      Keep Files (if you want to keep the files of the user account) else select Delete
      to remove the account.

After deleting the old user account, to convert the new user account to a Microsoft account, go to
    Settings (Windows Logo key + I) >> Accounts >>
    Your info
    >> click on Sign in with a Microsoft account and follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope the information provided by me is helpful for you.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

Delete / Disassociate an old Microsoft Account

1. Delete / Disassociate an old Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Delete Disassociate old

2. Delete Old Accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Delete Old Accounts: Hello,I have old Microsoft accounts that I no longer have access to and wish to delete.Is there an e-mail address I can forward my request to with the account details?In fact, the Google accounts with which these two Microsoft accounts were created had successfully been...
  3. Delete Old Accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete Old Accounts: Hello,I have old Microsoft accounts that I no longer have access to and wish to delete.Is there an e-mail address I can forward my request to with the account details?In fact, the Google accounts with which these two Microsoft accounts were created had successfully been...
  4. delete old account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    delete old account: I have 2 accounts on my Windows 10 PC. One's an old one based on a now-deleted email address. I need to get rid of that account so my new one, with my current email address, works properly...
  5. delete old account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    delete old account: I have 2 accounts on my Windows 10 PC. One's an old one based on a now-deleted email address. I need to get rid of that account so my new one, with my current email address, works properly...
  6. delete old account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    delete old account: I have 2 accounts on my Widows 10 PC. One's an ols one based on a deleted email address. I need to get rid of that account so my new one, with my current email address works properly...
  7. Disassociating Microsoft Account with PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disassociating Microsoft Account with PC: My son logged into our computer with his Microsoft account and now that is associated with our local administrator account. How can I remove his email from this?...
  8. Deleting an old Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting an old Microsoft Account: I changed my email login from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to ***@outlook,com but somehow I now have two accounts with each login. I want to delete the old account. I get a warning to make sure account reset is turned off. Is this only for Windows phones and...
  9. How to delete an old Microsoft account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to delete an old Microsoft account?: I have an old account no longer in use but it keeps flashing saying account problems under an old e-mail address that I no longer have; how can I delete that one account. Since then I have open a new account that is working fine. Thnaks for your help! Ed O...
  10. delete old microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    delete old microsoft account: how do i delete an old Microsoft account. My laptop has an old email address associated to its login and sleep modes but none of the last 3 passwords I have written down are working. Because the email address is no longer valid resetting the PW and then updating the email...