Windows 10: Delete files using cmd

Discus and support Delete files using cmd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I want to search and delete files, in a folder by file extension ie: all files with extension jpeg, in a folder and it's subfolders ie: D:\New... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Takeshi18, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Takeshi18 Win User

Delete files using cmd

Hello, I want to search and delete files, in a folder by file extension ie: all files with extension jpeg, in a folder and it's subfolders ie: D:\New Can someone please write me a script to do that? Regards

:)

Takeshi18, Jun 19, 2021

2. Instructions for deleting files, using CMD

Hello to the Community,

Need to delete lots of files; some are large.

I'm looking for the steps to permanently delete selected files, using CMD (I am NOT a skilled User)

The standard Delete via File Explorer sometimes doens't work....and/or is very slow to delete.

Its 2-step operation... to collect, and then delete via the Recycle Bin .... takes
    approximately forever on some files.

Google research shows me there's some simple ways to use CMD like DEL / RMDIR / /Q /S But I don't know how to use them.

Could someone send me the specific steps I should enter?

And also, what is the exact layout/format for defining the file(s) to be deleted, in each CMD string ?

Thank you,

Gary

Gary_S_1943, Jun 19, 2021
  3. Windows and CMD- renaming a file in CMD

Steps I've done

Here what happens

• turn on PC

• start windows

• get blue screen ( message NTFS file)

• it reboots returns to diagnosing PC

• Diagnose and repair fails

• I move to advance options

• will not reset windows , I click on CMD

things I've tried
    commands:

reagentc /disable

reagentc /enable

*************************FAILED
    not recognized

Please advise

RandallBrock, Jun 19, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Delete files using cmd

Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

You would have to move your Page File to a different drive to get rid of that file, however you can make is smaller by adjusting the size in Windows.

To get rid of Hyberfile.sys you need to disable hibernation by doing the following:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
    • Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window
    Then you can delete the hyberfile.sys file.

newtekie1, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

Delete files using cmd

1. Delete files using cmd - Similar Threads - Delete files using

2. How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.: Hello Experts.I wish to delete a certificate from the "Personal" folder using a CMD prompt. I am unable to delete this in the normal easy way as bizarrely I do not have the delete option when I select the problematic certificate. I have seen this question answered a couple of...
  3. How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.: Hello Experts.I wish to delete a certificate from the "Personal" folder using a CMD prompt. I am unable to delete this in the normal easy way as bizarrely I do not have the delete option when I select the problematic certificate. I have seen this question answered a couple of...
  4. How to delete a certificate using a CMD prompt.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Recover Deleted Files with cmd+z

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Deleted Files with cmd+z: HiI googled around but didn't find a good answer.I put all my work of three whole days in one new folder to send it to my colleague.Working in a CAD-Software i used cmd+z not noticing the Explorer windows was still active.It deleted my whole folder with everything in it.How...
  6. Recover Deleted Files with cmd+z

Recover Deleted Files with cmd+z: HiI googled around but didn't find a good answer.I put all my work of three whole days in one new folder to send it to my colleague.Working in a CAD-Software i used cmd+z not noticing the Explorer windows was still active.It deleted my whole folder with everything in it.How...
  7. How to delete .lnk files using CMD or Powershell?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete .lnk files using CMD or Powershell?: I want to delete two shortcuts in my desktop using powershell or cmd but each of them doesn't recognize them. when I enter `dir` in both cmd and pwsh, they jusy not show the shortcuts. it seems like they are ghosts. how can I make to fix this?...
  8. How to delete .lnk files using CMD or Powershell?

How to delete .lnk files using CMD or Powershell?: I want to delete two shortcuts in my desktop using powershell or cmd but each of them doesn't recognize them. when I enter `dir` in both cmd and pwsh, they jusy not show the shortcuts. it seems like they are ghosts. how can I make to fix this?...
  9. CMD to delete 'autorecovered' files from c:

in Windows 10 Support
    CMD to delete 'autorecovered' files from c:: What would be the cmd instruction to delete files on C: including 'autorecovered' in the name and have extension .xlsb So, files that would show up after: C:\>dir /s *autorecovered*.xlsb They show up in various sub folders within:...
  10. Instructions for deleting files, using CMD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Instructions for deleting files, using CMD: Hello to the Community, Need to delete lots of files; some are large. I'm looking for the steps to permanently delete selected files, using CMD (I am NOT a skilled User) The standard Delete via File Explorer sometimes doens't work....and/or is very slow to delete....