Windows 10: Delete or move some Win10 stuff

Discus and support Delete or move some Win10 stuff in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a new laptop with C: drive a 128 SSD and D: a 1T. I have upgraded to Win10 which is on the SSD. I also put Armored Warfare on that drive as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jeb1000, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jeb1000 Win User

Delete or move some Win10 stuff

I have a new laptop with C: drive a 128 SSD and D: a 1T.

I have upgraded to Win10 which is on the SSD. I also put Armored Warfare on that drive as well as Bitdefender. The drive had some stuff from Acer and I have deleted or moved some of it - some still left.

I would now like to download FireFox and put that on the SSD as well but only have 17GB left.

There is, of course, a ton of stuff in Win10 that I don't need or don't need on the SSD.

Is there any place I can go to find just what I can delete without causing a problem - Keeping in mind that I did delete some wrong things and had to re-download and start all over.

Also, what can I move to the D: 1T drive and how do I do so so that they still work?

Tks for the help - appreciate it. - jb

:)

jeb1000, Feb 18, 2016

2. Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory.

hi guyz.im u sing N72.i ave no memory card,my phone memory is low.how can i enlarge my phone memory without deleting stoff?

mharvhellous, Feb 18, 2016
  3. Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory.

@GO_P13S

It had to be a file that grows in size. I think the "licensersrv.log" file is the root of the problem. Deleting it returned over 200mb of memory. Thanks.

chrishen---01, Feb 18, 2016
  4. Delete or move some Win10 stuff

Jeb

Here is my on-going list of things to do to reclaim disk space. Most of them are straightforward but if you feel apprehensive or unsure about running something, just ignore it. Here they are:

1. It may sound strange to install a program when you’re trying to save disk space, but download WinDirStat, which shows where disk space is being used, including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types and large ‘chunks’ of used space. Download it here WinDirStat Uninstall the program after you’ve finished with it.

2. Reduce the amount of space used by system restore by pressing the Windows Logo key+X (or right-click or press and hold the bottom left corner) and choosing System > System Protection (in the left pane) > System Protection Tab > Configure and change the disk space allocation.

Also, as you have a separate hard drive, more space can be released by moving the page file to it via the Windows Logo key+X (or right-click or press and hold the bottom left corner) and choose System > Advanced system settings (in the left pane) > Advanced Tab > Settings alongside Performance > Advanced Tab, then Change alongside Virtual memory, remove the tick from Automatically manage ...... and select your drive and disk space size.

3. Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Navigate to the hidden folder C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.

4. Remove any programs that are no longer used, via the Windows Logo key+X (or right-click or press and hold the bottom left corner) and choose Programs and Features. You may also want to turn some Windows features off (in the left pane).

5. Open Computer (This PC) > Double-click or double-tap the 'C' drive > Manage > Cleanup > Cleanup system files (at the bottom). After the system checks for files that can be removed, tick any other files you want to cleanup and press OK > Delete files.

6. Now cleanup two other folders by opening a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type temp and press Enter. Delete everything that appears (there may be a few files that cannot be deleted, just skip them). Repeat the command for the other folder using %temp% in place of temp.

7. If you don't use Hibernation you can save almost the equivalent in hard drive space as the amount of RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter. To turn it back on type powercfg.exe -h on and press Enter.

8. Examine the contents of the Recycle Bin and delete any unwanted items. Also, reduce the space used by the Recycle Bin by right-click or press and holding the Bin, clicking Properties > Custom Size and amend as necessary.

9. Check if you have unwanted language packs installed. Press the Windows Logo key+X (or right-click or press and hold the bottom left corner) and choose Command Prompt (Admin). Type LPKSETUP /U (the capitals for clarity only) and press Enter.

10. Remove any other files that you may have overlooked in the past, e.g. old videos, also look in the Downloads folder for unwanted items.

BurrWalnut, Feb 18, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    This is explicitly covered in post #2, but:

If you upgraded an older OS to Windows 10, a windows.old folder was created. That contains the information needed to revert to the older OS, if you should need to. windows.old tends to be large. If you don't need to revert, you can get rid of it using the Disk Cleanup utility.

bobkn, Feb 18, 2016
  6. jeb1000 Win User
    Tks guys - this is a new Acer V 15 Nitro with all the goodies on it so nothing old to delete.

It came with Win 8.1 and I upgraded to Win 10. The only other things on it at this time are Bitdefender, a game, Nvidia folder, a few odd stuff which I am moving to D: and the Nvidia folder for the video card.

I was not sure if the anti-virus should be on the SSD or not - If it will work just as well on D: I will put it there.

I will go through your steps and see how it comes out.

Again, tks - I appreciate it. - jb

Edit - If I delete the Windows.old folder will Microsoft still be able to see that this computer came with Win 8.1 and I upgraded to Win 10 if I should ever need that info in the future?

jeb1000, Feb 19, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    The only function the Windows.old folder has is to let you go easily back to your old OS. But I think that works only for 30 days - after that the activation of the old system will no more work.

Work on that list that Burr posted. That is pretty comprehensive.

8. b1rd Win User

Hi jeb1000,
    You and I have similar set ups with the way we have our drives set up, but my SSD is a bit smaller than yours (110 GB). I, however, have roughly 67 programs installed and I'm still showing over 74 GB of free space.

So, it certainly seems as if something is taking up a good amount of room. I guess it's just a matter of what & where?

9. jeb1000 Win User
    Tks all - good info and I will get started on it tomorrow.

jeb1000, Feb 19, 2016
  10. jeb1000 Win User
    In older versions of Win I seem to remember that you had the size of folders as well as each item in that folder. In Win 10, the only size I can get is for files which does nothing to help me see what is taking up so much room on the SSD.

Is there a way to see size of the folders with everything in them?

jeb1000, Feb 20, 2016
  11. b1rd Win User
    If you just want to check the size, then you can right-click the folders and check the 'Properties'.

Also, there are other programs that can show you where the room is being used up, like BurrWalnut posted. If I recall, there are even some that will tell you which files type are where.

12. PiKo Win User
    Check your back-up settings. If wrongly set-up, it might take a lot of disk space.

Thema:

1. Delete or move some Win10 stuff - Similar Threads - Delete move Win10

2. Why is Onedrive deleting/moving stuff off my actual hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Onedrive deleting/moving stuff off my actual hard drive?: That's it. That's the question. Onedrive is a back up resource, it shouldn't be DOING this. Okay so to actually summarize; I got a new PC for Christmas and it came with Windows 11. Which means it comes with Onedrive. Okay neat. I go about my day. About a week ago I noticed...
  3. Why is Onedrive deleting/moving stuff off my actual hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Onedrive deleting/moving stuff off my actual hard drive?: That's it. That's the question. Onedrive is a back up resource, it shouldn't be DOING this. Okay so to actually summarize; I got a new PC for Christmas and it came with Windows 11. Which means it comes with Onedrive. Okay neat. I go about my day. About a week ago I noticed...
  4. Why do they keep moving stuff around

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do they keep moving stuff around: Microsoft really should leave well enough alone.. Going from windows 10 to windows 11 is a nightmare.. First of all, the task bar/start menu... Why? I've been using windows since windows 95 and I like the start menu and task bar being very simplified.. Control panel is easy...
  5. I had a virus or something that I deleted, but some of the stuff from it is still there

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I had a virus or something that I deleted, but some of the stuff from it is still there: There are some shortcuts to apps that I've deleted that I can't get delete, also a giant search bar that I can't get rid of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-had-a-virus-or-something-that-i-deleted-but-some/4ee6d512-2a49-4f80-b121-9e881608e87d
  6. Can I Delete This Stuff?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I Delete This Stuff?: In my Personal folder there's a folder called Searches. It contains 3 folders, one the result of a search I did recently on my C: drive. One of the others is called Everywhere and contains over 212,000 items. The other is called Indexed Locations and contains over 3,400...
  7. Win10 reset HDD and is deleting stuff in every restart

Win10 reset HDD and is deleting stuff in every restart: Hey guys. I have a pc with Win10 Home version and two hard drives SSD and HDD. Yesterday I tried opening a program, it appear on start but the icon was blank and nothing happened when I clicked. Came to realize that basically the HDD was reset ?, there were some folders...
  8. Can't move stuff to recycle bin.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move stuff to recycle bin.: So I've been trying to put stuff into the recycle bin but for a specific file it says that it's open in another program, I've checked task manager but not one thing that is related to the file is in task manager, I just really wanna delete this duplicate of something because...
  9. black screen, tried some stuff

black screen, tried some stuff: (sorry for bad grammar not comfortable with the keyboard i am currently using) (the pc shows windows logo with spinning dots but dosen't take me to logon screen) so i built a new PC recently, installed my old ssd, and i got a black screen. As far as i know Microsoft's or...
  10. deleteing stuff

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    deleteing stuff: hi can one of you help me delete games and apps on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleteing-stuff/e95e2fb0-f544-48fb-bd82-d6d98381643d"