Windows 10: delete protected fonts

Discus and support delete protected fonts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; how do you delete protected fonts https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-protected-fonts/04a0e34e-ece6-4632-86be-7409df8fa85c Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JudyannZ, Nov 10, 2019.

1. JudyannZ Win User

delete protected fonts

how do you delete protected fonts

:)

JudyannZ, Nov 10, 2019

2. Windows 10: Unable to delete fonts (protected systems)

I have followed the suggested procedure exactly but still receive the same message to the effect that the font(s) in question cannot be deleted because it is a "protected"font!

BillPriceTR, Nov 10, 2019
  3. Windows 10: Unable to delete fonts (protected systems)

I found a way to delete the system protected font Comic Sans MS.

• Open up regedit
    • Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
    • Make a note of all of the names of the fonts that you want to remove
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes
    • Create a new string key for each font name that you will delete and set the Data to the name of the font that you want to replace it with.
    For example, I removed "Comic Sans MS (TrueType)". I added a new key "Comic Sans MS" and value "Arial". I did this for all 4 comic sans fonts.

• Then go back to the Fonts section and delete the keys for the fonts that you no longer want. The font files will still be on the hard drive but windows will no longer use them.
    • Reboot
    • Enjoy a life free of ever seeing Comic Sans again!

I can make a simple program to automate this if there is enough interest.

Do be careful if you are deleting fonts that the system actually uses. It worked with comic sans because it really isn't used by the system. Don't go deleting Segoe UI.

Chad Hansen, Nov 10, 2019
  4. spunk Win User

delete protected fonts

spunk, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

delete protected fonts

1. delete protected fonts - Similar Threads - delete protected fonts

2. Deletion of font in AppData file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of font in AppData file: I installed Helvetica Font on my computer to use in a project but now it affected the appearance of some websites that I frequently use. I've deleted it from my fonts folder but the websites didn't change back to its normal font. I searched for the font and found it under...
  3. Cannot delete font file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete font file: I tried to delete a font file but it says it is used by the system1. It is not in the Windows' font file2. There is no application using the fileI tried to search but all of the suggestions only worked if the font is in the windows' font file, Anyone knows how to fix it?...
  4. Deleting a font

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting a font: Hey, so I downloaded a font and for some odd reason, some pages on google will use that font and it's hideous to read. I wanted to uninstall it but when I go to Settings > Personalization > Fonts. The uninstall option for it is not even there... I tried all sorts of methods...
  5. Deleting ‘Useless’ Fonts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting ‘Useless’ Fonts: I have downloaded some cool fonts recently, but I have wanted to get rid of some bland, useless ones. These are foregin langague fonts i.e. Microsoft JhengHei, MingLiu, Microsoft Himalaya, etc. that look very basic when they do not use the langague they were created for. I...
  6. How do you delete system-protected fonts?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you delete system-protected fonts?: Hi there: this happens to me most times Windows updates to a new version—I wind up with a new set of fonts. For reasons which I won’t go into here, I dislike Arial, and in the old days of Windows 7, and even the last Windows 10 I had version 1909? I managed to get rid of...
  7. delete fonts that are not default

delete fonts that are not default: I have installed too many fonts and every graphic software is slow to load. I know how to delete a single font, but I don't know which one is a default font and which is not. I would like to know if there is a way to remove all the fonts but the default ones. Thanks...
  8. Is there a way to restore default fonts or mass delete fonts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to restore default fonts or mass delete fonts?: I've amassed a variety of random fonts over the years and would like to do a clean. Is there a more efficient way to remove the fonts that aren't needed? submitted by /u/apricotTuesday [link] [comments]...
  9. Deleting "protected system" fonts

Deleting "protected system" fonts: When will you take protection off the multitude of foreign fonts most of us have no use for? There's no reason I should have to eat up facilities with a hundred or more fonts I will never use ever! How 'bout some action? Why are they protected in the first place? What is your...
  10. Deleting fonts

Deleting fonts: Is there a way to delete a font in windows 10 build 9860? I used to delete fonts in win8 and win 10( previous build) by right clicking and delete but the new build will not allow to do that. 2611