Windows 10: Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk)

Discus and support Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Do you also see Disk 2 or a recovery partition? No. I only see the 1 internal "disk" which has 6 partitions and the micro SD card installed. That is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by badrobot, Nov 13, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk)

No. I only see the 1 internal "disk" which has 6 partitions and the micro SD card installed. That is why I am wondering where your third disk is coming from. I would also recommend using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. That is what I am going to use.

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  2. badrobot Win User

As always @topgundcp , Clean only causes Diskpart to crash. I also tried that.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    Like I said, mine only shows the internal memory and the MicroSD card inserted:

Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) [​IMG]

The internal memory had 6 partitions. I believe the last 8 GB recovery partition is the same as you are trying to delete:

I ran Macrium Reflect Free and made an image of the entire hard drive. I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to delete the two original recovery partitions - moved the Windows 10 recovery partition to the end of the disk and then extended the OS partition into the free space. I had no issues deleting any partitions. The only issue I had was that I could not extend the OS partition into the free space in front of it created by deleting the first recovery partition. I expect if I created a bootable MiniTool Partition Wizard USB and booted into it, I probably could do that.

Here's what I ended up with:

The question remains - why is your Recovery Partition showing up as a third disk and not just a partition on the first disk (internal memory)? I would try MiniTool Partition Wizard. And if you really want to try brute force, make a MiniTool Partition Wizard bootable USB and boot from that.

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

What if you try to set the recovery partition as a basic data disk partition:
    select disk 2
    select partition 1
    set id=EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 override

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I forgot about that. I'll bet that's it!

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    Diskpart is showing the 8GB recovery as a single partition on Disk 2

diskpart
    select disk 2
    detail disk

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks!

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  8. badrobot Win User

I am getting the same error as my original post.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  9. badrobot Win User
    Here is the details..

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    The DISK 0 is fine. It contains only 1 recovery partition.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    From detail disk above. It shows that this disk is a USB 2.0 device

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would be very interested to see what MiniTool Partition Wizard shows for disks and partitions.

NavyLCDR, Nov 13, 2015
  13. badrobot Win User

As I already mentioned above, the MiniTool did not help. All options are greyed out.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  14. badrobot Win User
    I noticed that too, but I don't have any USB flashdrive attached to the tablet.

badrobot, Nov 13, 2015
  15. topgundcp Win User
    From minitool. The disk is marked readonly and that's probably why everything is grayed out. Go back to diskpart and try:
    diskpart
    select disk #
    list volume
    select volume #
    att vol clear readonly

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Delete Protected Recovery Partition (GPT Disk) - Similar Threads - Delete Protected Recovery

2. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  3. Recovery Disk partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery Disk partitions: HiI have, in order, Partition 1 400 Mb - recovery partitionPartition 2 100 Mb - efi parttionWindows C: 182.35 Gb - Basic data partitionPartition 5 1.01 Gb - recovery partitionData D: 292.97 GbI have established that Partition 5 is the active recovery partition.Currently even...
  4. Sudden GPT Partition Protection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden GPT Partition Protection: I have a desktop running Windows 10, with all updates in place. In the middle of a simple task, my computer suddenly shut down. Turning it back on, the drive is now Grayed and no longer has a drive letter assigned. The grayed out area now shows GPT Partition Protection. I Can...
  5. Deleting disk partitions: "Healthy Recovery Partition" - which of these are okay to delete?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Deleting disk partitions: "Healthy Recovery Partition" - which of these are okay to delete?: I recently removed Ubuntu from an Ubuntu-Window dual boot to which I gave a portion of my disk.In the process of removing it, I discovered I had 4 other partitions other than the C:, taking up quite some space.I cannot tell which are the results/residues from the dual boot...
  6. Is there a way to clone a “protected GPT partition” harddrive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to clone a “protected GPT partition” harddrive?: Thanks submitted by /u/tonynca [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k63enb/is_there_a_way_to_clone_a_protected_gpt_partition/
  7. Deleting Linux partition with GPT

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting Linux partition with GPT: How are the steps different for deleting a Linux partition if my windows is GPT? Can I simply delete the Linux partition and activate secure boot without problems? Could I then turn on fast startup? submitted by /u/RealisticInterest6 [link] [comments]...
  8. delete recovery partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    delete recovery partition: delete recovery partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/delete-recovery-partition/14446a8a-df85-41a2-b0aa-05686c1185d6
  9. Deleted Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Recovery Partition: I have an HP laptop that shipped with Windows 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 weeks ago and tonight I accidentally reformatted my D: drive recovery partition. I have recovery media on a USB pen drive that I made back when I first set up my computer. Has Windows 10 changed...
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...