Windows 10: Delete unwanted files

Discus and support Delete unwanted files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a long history of many files of one subject that I would like to clean up. I have done a search and get a long list of resulting files. Opening... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jess2w, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jess2w Win User

Delete unwanted files

I have a long history of many files of one subject that I would like to clean up. I have done a search and get a long list of resulting files. Opening a file on this list to determine current relevancy results in a search redo of the list.

How can I save the original search list, and use it to open an individual file to determine save or delete without automatic redoing the search each time I return to the original list?

:)

Jess2w, Jul 13, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Cannot delete Windows Apps files

Suggested options for undeletable items:
    1. Delete when Windows is not running
    a. from a command prompt via SHIFT + left click Restart and navigate to a command prompt
    - if you are very confident in using it.
    b. boot your system from a boot disk such as Kyhi's availabel from the top of the Software and Apps section. Familiar file explorer

2. Use a 3rd party utility which can be set to delete on reboot (outside Windows).
    e.g.
    EMCO Moveonboot
    Fileassassin (files only)

Note: radical steps to remove all those saves relatively little space.
    Much safer to use the tutorials here to remove unwanted apps using Powershell.

dalchina, Jul 13, 2019
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jul 13, 2019
  4. MohanC Win User

Delete unwanted files

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

Delete unwanted files

1. Delete unwanted files - Similar Threads - Delete unwanted files

2. How to delete unwanted keyboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete unwanted keyboard?: I have 4 keyboards on my PC: But I only want the first two.When I open settings, I cannot find the US keyboard, how can I delete those two coz I need to press so many times to change the keyboard? PS I have those two before I update the Window. After the update, it was added...
  3. How to delete unwanted keyboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete unwanted keyboard?: I have 4 keyboards on my PC: But I only want the first two.When I open settings, I cannot find the US keyboard, how can I delete those two coz I need to press so many times to change the keyboard? PS I have those two before I update the Window. After the update, it was added...
  4. deleting/no moving/no running unwanted files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    deleting/no moving/no running unwanted files: I have Win 10 Pro and I would like to run unwanted files. I cannot transfer from my USB key. I am getting the error 0x800700E1. My protection is turned off and I dont have any Antivirus software, I turned off Microsoft Defender Antivirus, Windows defender, Firefall. Thank you...
  5. How to delete unwanted programmes

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to delete unwanted programmes: I have been trying to uninstall a programme for months. I have set a password to it but I can't remember it. When I try to delete them in programme Files86, it says access is denied. I tried to take ownership of it but it also says access is denied and wouldn't let me take...
  6. unwanted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unwanted files: I recently opened my Photos and discovered loads of unrequested symbols. How can I remove them so that I can access my photos easily? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unwanted-files/4405be2f-7e09-4c09-94b9-3a99733ea0b8
  7. Possible Unwanted file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible Unwanted file: Heyo, Norton just detected a .bin file in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\UsageLogs It's apparently some sort of Trojan but norton has also detected some legit files as trojans before so I thought I'd ask The file's called "6K6AY.bin" and it reads:...
  8. Problem with unwanted folder deletion

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with unwanted folder deletion: I have a rather large HDD with multiple directories and sub-directories. I've recently discovered that each of these directories contains an unwanted .metadata folder, which itself contains a number of unwanted files. I'd like to delete all these .metadata folders and their...
  9. Cannot delete unwanted account

Cannot delete unwanted account: I have removed an unwanted account in Windows 10 by going Settings\Accounts\Email & app accounts\Accounts used by other apps Then clicking on the account and Remove. So it disappears from the list but next time I switch on and go there it has returned. And I keep getting...
  10. Deleting unwanted items

Deleting unwanted items: When I open up I have a lot of unwanted items along the top. Dragging to the recycling bin does not work. These are not APPS they are topics I looked at some years ago....