Windows 10: Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020?

Discus and support Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm absolutely baffled by this issue. Short story: I have 4 SSDs in my desktop. Reinstalled Windows 10 to a new SSD. I had the Xbox Game Pass for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/decker12, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020?

I'm absolutely baffled by this issue. Short story:

• I have 4 SSDs in my desktop.
    • Reinstalled Windows 10 to a new SSD.

I had the Xbox Game Pass for a few months and installed various games to my D, E, and F drives. They're all sitting in WindowsApps taking up a ton of space.

I don't have the Xbox Game Pass anymore and this is a fresh install of Windows 10.

Absolutely NOTHING I can do allows me to delete those goddamn WindowsApps folders filled with unplayable games on D, E, and F. Take ownership, I can browse, but not delete the folders. Safe mode, no go. Powershell, no go. Give Everyone Full permission and cascade permissions? No go. They all yell at me that "the file is open in System" or I "require permission from myPC\myself" to make changes to the folder.

I've done enough googling and nothing I've read has worked. All the threads about it seem to just trail off with no solution. There was a thread about using a Linux boot disk and deleting them that way, and I'm fine doing that, but that seems like a pretty long stretch for an average user who just wants to recover 200gb+ of disk space after reinstalling their computer.

What's the proper way to do this in 2020? Thanks!

submitted by /u/decker12
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/decker12, Feb 29, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Feb 29, 2020
  3. S.cloris Win User
    WindowsApps folder says permissions are corrupted and need to be deleted, is this normal or critical?

According to your description, I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Navigate to the location C:\Program Files.
    2. Right-click on the WindowsApps folder, and select Properties.
    3. Turn to Security tab and click on Advanced.
    4. Click on Change and then type Users in Enter the object name to select area.
    5. Click on OK, then click Apply > OK. You can also add the TrustedInstaller to the users list and check if it takes effect.

However, you might be still not able to access the files. The workaround is to go inside the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\, and repeat the same way with the Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

S.cloris, Feb 29, 2020
  4. jkteddy77 Win User

Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020?

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020?

1. Delete WindowsApps folder in 2020? - Similar Threads - Delete WindowsApps folder

2. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  3. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  4. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Deleting old windowsapps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  6. Deleting old windowsapps folder

Deleting old windowsapps folder: For some reason I can't remember, I made a new WindowsApps folder on my D: drive, and now that I try to delete the previous windowsapps folder, I'm unable. I've tried changing ownership of the file to myself, everyone, system etc. and I am told that I need permission every...
  7. WindowsApps/Deleted folder cleanup

WindowsApps/Deleted folder cleanup: Hi, my Program Files\WindowsApps\Deleted contains 200G of files from an app I already removed.The program is not listed under Apps & features, so I cannot uninstall it.The folders are all owned by System and thwart every attempt at removal.How do I clear this folder? The...
  8. Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps

Cannot Delete folder in windowsapps: I'm trying to delete "C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension_1.0.32762.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe". I have Full control under security, also checked advanced and it states Full control there. However when I try to delete any folder in windowsapps I get the...
  9. Cannot delete WindowsApps Folder June 2020

Cannot delete WindowsApps Folder June 2020: Hi all, I have seen this question circulated everywhere and the issue still persists, some seem to have more luck than others. In brief, I am clearing out my PC of tons and tons of GBs of games, everything is fine except when I enter my SSD my OS is stored on an M.2 the...
  10. Can't Delete Windowsapp folder

Can't Delete Windowsapp folder: I install my windowsapp games on a separate hard drive. After reinstalling windows, I am no longer able to access or delete this folder. Most of the drive is being used by files and folders I CANNOT format or delete. So formatting the drive is not an option. I have tried...