Windows 10: deleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files

Discus and support deleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; so if one were computer illiterate and deleted his recovery drive, D: then did a fresh install from scratch so i could activate tpm and file history... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dustinwe1, Dec 6, 2018.

1. dustinwe1 Win User

deleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files

so if one were computer illiterate and deleted his recovery drive, D: then did a fresh install from scratch so i could activate tpm and file history again, pc did not have D: on, it had about 58mb of data left, which i asssumed would be program files. I could not do a back up as it wouldnot recognize drive. went to boot order set defaults from factory, the drive was in order there but still no, so i thought i would be smart and use file explorer to put windows backup copy files to D:. it quickly became full as i picked a wrong folder. password have changed up and went wonky so i made pass reset disk(i hope) and im afraid to reboot. there were issues startingnto happen a day before i made it worse, failed updates kb1809 tho i was running 1809 powershell critical alerts, etc what should I do (besides stop fixing it)?

:)

dustinwe1, Dec 6, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Backup software over lan

Robocopy bat file and Task Scheduler is what I use to do exactly that.

Robocopy will backup only changed files, and it is built into Windows, it just takes a little bat file writing.

The bat file I use looks like this:
    Code: robocopy D:\Music "K:\Backup\C Drive\Documents" /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5 robocopy C:\Pictures "K:\Backup\C Drive\Pictures" /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5[/quote] With this the first directory is the source, the second is the destination, K: is a mapped drive to my backup server. You have to put the " marks around any directory with a space in it, otherwise you have to leave the " out.

The /MIR command makes it so that when I delete a file from the source directory it will be deleted from the backup(this might not be ideal for your situation, you'll have to decide). It might be better to run a standard backup without the MIR switch, and then maybe make a manual one that you run everyone once in a while with the MIR switch to clear out the backup of files you've deleted once you are sure there isn't anything you need to restore. Also, this will not delete everything if the entire source directory isn't available(some people worry about that). If the source isn't available Robocopy will just not backup anything.

newtekie1, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    All files deleted

Hi,

Backup files will not be affected if the Windows 10 upgrade was installed on the hard drive intended for the operating system. If a clean install was performed where the backup files was stored, then all files will be deleted.

For Windows 10 upgrade, we can manually recover the files by searching for Windows.old. Here are the steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Go to Local Disk (Cdeleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files :).
    • Select Windows.old.
    • Select User then your Username.
    Let us know if you need further help.

Ryan Fra, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink deleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

1. deleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files - Similar Threads - deleted attempted manual

2. delete backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    delete backup files: my windows backup files are taking storage in D drive , how to completey delete it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-backup-files/62c66206-8c6c-4ea1-8f75-fb4fa99d5661
  3. Drive D: filled with no file inside it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive D: filled with no file inside it: Huh, i am confusing about my Drive D: There are 30gb use from 610 gb but there is no file inside of it. I have tried so many troubleshoot and even reinstall windows 10. It is still same There are something fill my drive D: but no file inside. It is empty Can someone...
  4. Windows 10 manual file backup?

Windows 10 manual file backup?: Can drag and drop folders in Windows 10 to an external hard drive to use as backup and what folders should backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-manual-file-backup/f629b617-fe56-4b30-80c6-eb9e091a71ed
  5. Windows file backup not working manually

Windows file backup not working manually: I have been using the windows backup program to backup my files manually weekly. After the last windows update the system not longer updates. I added a different external hard drive and it actually regressed to showing the last backup was in February. Have done nothing else...
  6. Difficulties with backup files on disk D

Difficulties with backup files on disk D: I want to create file history on external drive and use Windows 10 Backup to do it. I tried to back up files and folders from both disk D and disk C. However I was able to restore files only from disk C. Files and folders from D are not showing using Restore option...
  7. How to open manually created backup files?

How to open manually created backup files?: So my Windows broke down 2 days ago. I don't know how nor why, but the computer wouldn't boot, and I had important files on it. I decided the best thing to do would be to use the backup function the OS provided when I booted from a memory stick, which I then proceeded to do....
  8. deleted full recovery D:, then filled it w windows prog files manually. derp

deleted full recovery D:, then filled it w windows prog files manually. derp: so if one were computer illiterate and deleted his recovery drive, D: then did a fresh install from scratch so i could activate tpm and file history again, pc did not have D: on, it had about 58mb of data left, which i asssumed would be program files. I could not do a back up...
  9. W D updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W D updates: I find W10 updates very frustrating most of the time, for instance, an update for Windows Defender which fails repeatedly. Then I open up W D, click on update and it runs the code with no trouble. This is not a one off, it's happened three times with this build (10074). 6138
  10. Update W-10 manually

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update W-10 manually: Just discovered that the new version allows me to set do W-10 updates manually. I do like it that way better. I check several times a day just like I do on W-7. Just open Windows 10 Updates and select Choose how updates get installed. 2605