Windows 10: Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?

Discus and support Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a few different drives in my computer, and recently installed Linux Mint (an OS I have used quite a bit) onto an nVme drive I salved from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LorenWard, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?

I have a few different drives in my computer, and recently installed Linux Mint (an OS I have used quite a bit) onto an nVme drive I salved from my Surface Pro 4 (dog ate it...).

Anyway, for a while I've had a weird issue when starting Windows, where it would give me two options to boot to different installations, even though there was only one. I was playing around in Disks for another purpose, and saw that there were two boot partitions on one of my ancillary drives, so I deleted them.

Anyway, long story short, apparently the boot partition for my Windows installation on my main Windows OS drive was on this secondary drive? So at this point, I can no longer boot to windows.

I made installation media and followed the directions here, but when I got to the last step, bcdboot M:\windows , it fails. So I googled that problem, tried another method using bootrec but ended up getting an Element not found error. Following another tutorial I ended up with a drives-not-distinguishable error (what the actual heck??), so at this point, I'm stuck.

I was thinking maybe I could at least back up my main Windows OS partition, to prevent data loss. I was also thinking I could maybe copy the main Windows partition to another drive, reinstall Windows, then move the partition back over?

Would this work? Other options? Am I just screwed? Thankfully I don't do any work in Windows, so if I have to do a fresh install it isn't a huge deal, but would be a bit of a pain in the rear.

submitted by /u/LorenWard
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LorenWard, Jan 29, 2020
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps? :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Jan 29, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 29, 2020
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME after creating new EFI System Partition

I would probably have booted to a Windows install or recovery media to create the

EFI system partition by using Diskpart and the create par efi command with any modifiers necessary to make it fit in the correct location.

I know Linux can use a Microsoft EFI partition but I do know if Windows can use a Linux version.

Yes, the bcd listing which shows the boot manager and OS loader.

It may have been easier to use a third party partition manager to change the size of the EFI partition.

If you might need it, here are the details of an EFI partition from Diskpart.

Partition 2

Type : c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b

Hidden : Yes

Required: No

Attrib : 0X8000000000000000

Offset in Bytes: 524288000

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

* Volume 3 FAT32 Partition 99 MB Healthy System

Saltgrass, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?

1. Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps? - Similar Threads - Deleted boot partitions

2. How to delete EFI Boot Store accidentally created on wrong partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete EFI Boot Store accidentally created on wrong partition?: I have recently migrated cloned my Windows 10 installation from an HDD to an SSD.I had created a new EFI System Partition on the SSD and was creating a corresponding BCD entry using the `bcdboot` command when I accidentally created a BCD store in the C partition, instead of...
  3. How to delete EFI Boot Store accidentally created on wrong partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete EFI Boot Store accidentally created on wrong partition?: I have recently migrated cloned my Windows 10 installation from an HDD to an SSD.I had created a new EFI System Partition on the SSD and was creating a corresponding BCD entry using the `bcdboot` command when I accidentally created a BCD store in the C partition, instead of...
  4. How to delete EFI Boot Store accidentally created on wrong partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. MBR2GPT Failing To Create EFI Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MBR2GPT Failing To Create EFI Partition: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB with 173 GB free space perfectly healthy according to Samsung MagicianI've been battling away with this for days now and it's driving me crazy- trying to convert an MBR system drive to GPT. In the end I performed a repair...
  6. Creating an EFI partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating an EFI partition: Hi, On Win 10 machine I have a 1TB SSD which I used to boot Windows and it has an EFI partition. I purchased a 2TB installed Windows on it and migrated data as a primary drive. I realised that it does not have an EFI partition (but has Boot, Page, File, Crash Dump on it)....
  7. Windows 10 boot partition deleted, need to create new partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 boot partition deleted, need to create new partition: I had a dual boot setup going between 2 ssds. 1 m.2 (new boot drive) and one ssd (old drive). I wiped the old ssd and made it a secondary storage drive, however every time I started windows, I would get the prompt about which drive I wanted to boot too. I eventually got a...
  8. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. hard drive failed and the efi partition was deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    hard drive failed and the efi partition was deleted: the hard drive in my pc failed yesterday i managed to get almost everything back but the efi partition is lost so i can't boot into windows 10 is there anyway i can recreate it?? i use a gpt motherboard 121529