Windows 10: Deleted C://Recovery and don't know what to do

Discus and support Deleted C://Recovery and don't know what to do in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was trying to clean my PC by deleting windows.old but instead I ended up deleting the C://Recovery folder, So I looked up the name and I found out on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SnivyDroid, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Deleted C://Recovery and don't know what to do

I was trying to clean my PC by deleting windows.old but instead I ended up deleting the C://Recovery folder, So I looked up the name and I found out on the same forum that people have deleted it and their computers would not boot. What do I do now? I'm scared to reboot my PC and I really dont know what to do. [I have both recovery partitions and they say they are healthy]

:)

SnivyDroid, Oct 28, 2017

2. Win 10 dead and cannot reset or fix automatic fix inop cannot boot to rescue flash drive *punt*

Thank you - I don't have a screenshot, but here is what I now have;

Sys reserved 100MB

C: 232 GB

Recovery 450MB

Recovery 450MB

I have two recovery drive partitions. My thought is to use Mini Tool Partition Wizard and delete one, then

merge/extend the leftover space to C: .

MisterMorris, Oct 28, 2017
  3. Windows 10 C://system recovery/Repair/Backup files - can I delete them

I'm not hesitant at all! I did try your suggestions and they made no differance.

I have now deleted all the files in the C://System Recovery/Repair/Backup folder using Treefree and got my 4GB back. But I cannot delete the C://System Recovery/Repair or C://System Recovery/ folders themselves as there remains one folder C://System Recovery/Repair/Temp
    which is a system file (apparently empty) and I do not know how to delete it so I can get rid of the empty folders entirely.

Mike

Mikecmirador, Oct 28, 2017
  4. Superfly Win User

Deleted C://Recovery and don't know what to do

That folder is not required - where did you see that it causes probs when deleted?

Superfly, Oct 28, 2017
  5. SnivyDroid, Oct 28, 2017
  6. SIW2 Win User
    It is where winre was kept.

7. I removed mine, it is only needed to perform a recovery and other stuff. I use Macrium Reflect to image my system so a recovery partition for me is not needed.

Josey Wales, Oct 28, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

OIC, that's old stuff!? Steve does not mention a reason for that statement

Deleting it makes no diff to booting - it's a recovery option only - have a Macrium backup for that instead

Superfly, Oct 28, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    When you deleted it did you empty or not empty the recycle bin?
    If it's in the recycle bin it may be able to be restored.

zbook, Oct 28, 2017
  10. Gordon7 Win User
    @SnivyDroid -

Deleted C://Recovery and don't know what to do [​IMG]

Se if it should be in the Recycle bin - if is, then recreate it.

Gordon7, Oct 28, 2017
  11. SIW2 Win User
    You might be able to copy it back if you have a shadow copy. Try the previous versions tab. Rt click your windows patition and it may show up.

12. Kyhi Win User
    C:/ Recovery is the folder used to store OEM customizations and Apps.ppkg (Usually created by OEM)
    The Apps.ppkg contains the OEM program customizations.
    When you recover your OS or create OEM Recovery Drive
    The contents from C;\recovery are included in the transfer of system files

Windows does not seem to care what is in that folder other than what is in the C;/recovery/customizations folder when create a Windows Recovery Drive

windows\system32\recovery - is the folder that ONCE contained the winre.wim (Windows Recovery Boot.wim)
    Once windows is installed that winre.wim is moved to the recovery tools partition. And the .xml files are a redirect from old partition to new partition - in the case of an upgrade

13. topgundcp Win User

@Kyhi
    In addition to this. If you delete all Recovery partition(s) then this is where WinRe.wim will be stored.

topgundcp, Oct 29, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    An interesting case is where an upgrade from 7 to 10 cannot create a recovery partition, say on an mbr system with all four partitions already in use for other things. Then the C:\Recovery folder can perform the functions of a recovery partition.

How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt? (post #16)

15. SIW2 Win User
    Win7 usually stores winre.wim in c:\Recovery\{long_guid}\

On my system, Win10 stores it in c:\Recovery\WindowsRE\

$WINRE_BACKUP_PARTITION.MARKER seems to be a tag used if you upgraded rather than clean install. Iirc Vista/7 does similar, with tags like $UpgDrv$ or $DRVLTR$.

Thema:

1. Deleted C://Recovery and don't know what to do - Similar Threads - Deleted Recovery don't

2. I'm still stuck in recovery mode and still don't know what to do.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm still stuck in recovery mode and still don't know what to do.: I have an Acer Aspire A115 and was windows ten and now its windows 11. I don't have recovery tools.My error code is 0xc000000f. I have deleted system 32 by accident. My serial number is NXHE4AA003017087222N00. This is what my screen looks like. Please help me I will be so...
  3. I'm still stuck in recovery mode and still don't know what to do.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm still stuck in recovery mode and still don't know what to do.: I have an Acer Aspire A115 and was windows ten and now its windows 11. I don't have recovery tools.My error code is 0xc000000f. I have deleted system 32 by accident. My serial number is NXHE4AA003017087222N00. This is what my screen looks like. Please help me I will be so...
  4. There are a lot of Recovery partitions and I don't know what to do with them when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are a lot of Recovery partitions and I don't know what to do with them when...: Hello,I want to install a clean version of windows but im confused about these Recovery partitions that exist from my SSDand some of them are mostly empty, Should I just leave them when installing windows or can I extend my main partition from the windows installer Also can I...
  5. There are a lot of Recovery partitions and I don't know what to do with them when...

There are a lot of Recovery partitions and I don't know what to do with them when...: Hello,I want to install a clean version of windows but im confused about these Recovery partitions that exist from my SSDand some of them are mostly empty, Should I just leave them when installing windows or can I extend my main partition from the windows installer Also can I...
  6. I don't know what to do

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't know what to do: I messed around with the registry once I upgraded from win 7 pro to win 10 pro following the instructions of some youtube video WITHOUT BACKING UP. Basically it was just setting some values to 0 so that microsoft doesn't track my activity and overall make my computer faster....
  7. Something's doing something and I don't know what's causing it and I don't know what to do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Something's doing something and I don't know what's causing it and I don't know what to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP9auO41B2g&feature=youtu.be Hey here's a video that shows what's going on. I tried updating what could be updated, I tried replugging both my mouse and keyboard, even tried switching to a different mouse, but the problem still comes back. I...
  8. Don't Know What to Do with the Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Don't Know What to Do with the Laptop: I have a 4 year old laptop which windows doesn't let the updates to be downloaded on due to lack of space. It is an older model solid state drive model with 32GB of storage. Currently I have used all the tricks in the book to bring down the volume of stuff on it but still I...
  9. I don't know what to do anymore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I don't know what to do anymore: Basically I hate windows 10 and wanted to go back to windows 7, sadly windows doesn't want to cooperate with me. I want a clean install so all my files and settings would get removed and/or reset which is totally fine. Sadly windows 10 does not like me, I've been stuck at...
  10. Sometimes I don't know what to do

Sometimes I don't know what to do: One of my colleagues can't open .pst file. She is using MS Outlook 2013. Only yesterday hers .pst file was fine. 92750