Windows 10: Deleted data in safe-mode cmd, now the system doesn't recognize the freed up space

Discus and support Deleted data in safe-mode cmd, now the system doesn't recognize the freed up space in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I've had an old Windows installation on my former main disk drive, and after 2months of not finding a way on how to delete it to free up my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gandeloft, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Deleted data in safe-mode cmd, now the system doesn't recognize the freed up space

Hello,

I've had an old Windows installation on my former main disk drive, and after 2months of not finding a way on how to delete it to free up my disk space, I finally achieved that today.

I did it by running command prompt by booting up a windows installation USB and have then proceeded to remove all of the remnants of the old windows installation. Now, the size of the data that I've removed using the "rmdir" command is aprox. 100GB, but upon my system booting up, the 100GB have not been freed at all.

What can I do to fix this?

submitted by /u/Gandeloft
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Gandeloft, Jan 22, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

1. Did you empty the recycle bin ? If not, empty it.
    2. Delete the contents under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are downloaded Windows Updates files and already installed.
    3. Open Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
      This should remove all the no longer used by component store. Will take a while to run.

topgundcp, Jan 22, 2020
  3. Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

As the title suggests, only 9 gigabytes of disk space appear to have been freed after deleting roughly 18 gigabytes worth of old Windows files via Windows Disk Cleanup. Since the Windows.old folder still exists even after the cleanup, I decided to check the folder properties to see if the folder still took up some space, but it was completely empty, save for a few empty subfolders that I didn't have permission to delete myself. I tried Disk Cleanup a second time, but it did not give me the option to delete old Windows files. Anybody got an answer for me? Please hurry. My poor SSD is suffering. It needs more games.

SpaseMonkey, Jan 22, 2020
  4. Deleted data in safe-mode cmd, now the system doesn't recognize the freed up space

How to delete Suggested Sites in Win 10 Edge

When I right click Suggested Sites in the Fav Bar, a "delete" window appears, but, clicking delete does not delete the Suggested Sites from the Favourite Bar.

If I open up Favourites, then the Favourites Bar, and right click the delete window for Suggested Sites-this doesn`t work either.

The Suggested Sites does nothing, (it certainly doesn`t show me a list of suggested sites), and takes up valuable space in my Fav Bar.which is why I want to rid myself of it.

barrierlee, Jan 22, 2020
Thema:

Deleted data in safe-mode cmd, now the system doesn't recognize the freed up space

1. Deleted data in safe-mode cmd, now the system doesn't recognize the freed up space - Similar Threads - Deleted data safe

2. Stuck in safe mode with cmd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in safe mode with cmd: Hey there so I booted into safe mode for this reason https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-windows-security-data/2e733e9a-9819-4b27-851c-2a7d6ece2fad this solution required me to boot to safe mode when I got to the boot menu I had 3 option 1.boot...
  3. Stuck in safe mode with cmd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in safe mode with cmd: Hey there so I booted into safe mode for this reason https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-windows-security-data/2e733e9a-9819-4b27-851c-2a7d6ece2fad this solution required me to boot to safe mode when I got to the boot menu I had 3 option 1.boot...
  4. Stuck in safe mode with cmd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. C drive space not freed after deleting a program.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive space not freed after deleting a program.: I installed a file containing 2 programs from a pirate website. After deleting one of the apps, I checked my C drive and the space wasn't freed. When I tried downloading the second program I stopped it mid through because I decided I wouldn't really need it. However it still...
  6. C drive space not freed after deleting a program.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive space not freed after deleting a program.: I installed a file containing 2 programs from a pirate website. After deleting one of the apps, I checked my C drive and the space wasn't freed. When I tried downloading the second program I stopped it mid through because I decided I wouldn't really need it. However it still...
  7. Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.: * Windows 11* My system storage manager is telling me that I have temporary files taking up 76 gbs on my computer. I Selected to remove the temporary files and It still said that I had 76 gbs of storage used up. I then located the other temporary files using the windows run...
  8. Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not showing freed up space after Deleting temporary files.: * Windows 11* My system storage manager is telling me that I have temporary files taking up 76 gbs on my computer. I Selected to remove the temporary files and It still said that I had 76 gbs of storage used up. I then located the other temporary files using the windows run...
  9. Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed: As the title suggests, only 9 gigabytes of disk space appear to have been freed after deleting roughly 18 gigabytes worth of old Windows files via Windows Disk Cleanup. Since the Windows.old folder still exists even after the cleanup, I decided to check the folder properties...
  10. Safe Mode CMD

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe Mode CMD: Okay so i downloaded a custom theme from Deviart. When i ran the theme it brought me to a blue screen and please wait like normal. i got an error message that said the application failed so i clicked okay. it brought me back to the login screen at the wrong screen resolution....