Windows 10: deleted full recovery D:, then filled it w windows prog files manually. derp

Discus and support deleted full recovery D:, then filled it w windows prog files manually. derp in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; so if one were computer illiterate and deleted his recovery drive, D: then did a fresh install from scratch so i could activate tpm and file history... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dustinwe1, Dec 6, 2018.

1. dustinwe1 Win User

deleted full recovery D:, then filled it w windows prog files manually. derp

so if one were computer illiterate and deleted his recovery drive, D: then did a fresh install from scratch so i could activate tpm and file history again, pc did not have D: on, it had about 58mb of data left, which i asssumed would be program files. I could not do a back up as it wouldnot recognize drive. went to boot order set defaults from factory, the drive was in order there but still no, so i thought i would be smart and use file explorer to put windows backup copy files to D:. it quickly became full as i picked a wrong folder. password have changed up and went wonky so i made pass reset disk(i hope) and im afraid to reboot. there were issues startingnto happen a day before i made it worse, failed updates kb1809 tho i was running 1809 powershell critical alerts, etc what should I do (besides stop fixing it)?

:)

dustinwe1, Dec 6, 2018

2. how to delete "disk D" recovery disk files ?

Hello Tom,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

D: Drive is the Recovery Partition, that the Manufacturer has created, for your computer to put it back to factory settings in case of System Crash.

You can make Recovery disks from D in case of a Hard Drive failure.

Do not delete any files that are associated to recovery! Do not delete the items RECOVERY, $RECYCLE.BIN, boot,pcdr, or PRELOAD! Doing so can prevent a future system recovery from the hard drive.

I would suggest you to contact HP support before making any changes to the Partition.

Hope this information was helpful.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink deleted full recovery D:, then filled it w windows prog files manually. derp ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Dec 6, 2018
  4. NdMk2o1o Win User

Best free file recovery

My mate was doing a back up and somehow managed to delete a lot of important files and photos, he has downloaded a program called pctools which does file recovery and it finds the files though to recover them he has to pay, he is a bit dubious about paying before the recovery incase it doesnt do as advertised, does anyone know of any good free file recovery apps that actually work.

The files shouldnt be too hard to recover as they were just deleted from the recycle bin and the drive hasnt been formatted, any help appreciated.

NdMk2o1o, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

1. deleted full recovery D:, then filled it w windows prog files manually. derp - Similar Threads - deleted full recovery

2. Recovery Drive D is 90% full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery Drive D is 90% full: Need to know if I move my program files to a seperate removable hard drive if this will allow space on my D drive and speed up my computer speed? My D Drive is at 10% fee and my C drive have 80% free....
  3. Recovery Drive D is 90% full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery Drive D is 90% full: Need to know if I move my program files to a seperate removable hard drive if this will allow space on my D drive and speed up my computer speed? My D Drive is at 10% fee and my C drive have 80% free....
  4. Recovery Drive D is 90% full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fill RECOVERY D: drive from recovery USB drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fill RECOVERY D: drive from recovery USB drive?: I successfully created a USB recovery drive F: but I accidentally deleted the RECOVERY D drive that now is empty. Is it possible to fill back it from the USB external drive F: I created? How? Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  6. delete progs.

delete progs.: Hello, I have a Dell running windows 10. When I open This PC in explorer there is a folder D:\ and also shown on the page L.H. column is a drive called DataD: as well as OSc:. The DataD: drive has the same files as the D:\. How do I delete the D:/ folder. Thanks...
  7. Full Recovery(D:) drive

Full Recovery(D:) drive: My Recovery(D:) drive has always said it was almost full. (contained 13.5 gigabytes of content) I entered Settings >> System >> Storage >> Recovery(D:) >> Other and then it said, "We couldn't find any files to show you." Here's a screenshot(ish): [IMG]...
  8. deleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files

deleted and attempted manual backup to d:' filled it w windows files: so if one were computer illiterate and deleted his recovery drive, D: then did a fresh install from scratch so i could activate tpm and file history again, pc did not have D: on, it had about 58mb of data left, which i asssumed would be program files. I could not do a back up...
  9. Recovery D: ALMOST FULL

Recovery D: ALMOST FULL: Computer running VERY SLOW so I decided to do some clean up. Went into storage there to see what I could do. The RECOVER STORAGE shows really full so I decided to investigate. I know you've got to be careful in this area of the computer so I was just investigating to start...
  10. prog files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    prog files: what is c:\\tostack prog. file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/prog-files/e9b53654-81e2-4d48-a486-efbb02e80335

Users found this page by searching for:

1. kb1809