Windows 10: Deleted icons, folder, shortcuts etc reappear after some time on the Desktop

Discus and support Deleted icons, folder, shortcuts etc reappear after some time on the Desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've build myself a computer with complety new parts, storage too. Now the system is about 3 months old and I have this, minor I hope, yet annoying,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sebastian B. 98, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Deleted icons, folder, shortcuts etc reappear after some time on the Desktop

I've build myself a computer with complety new parts, storage too.

Now the system is about 3 months old and I have this, minor I hope, yet annoying, little issue. On the desktop, when I delete files, shortcuts, folders and such, they reappear again after some time has passed, but those are then no longer "deletable" because they no longer exist.

Restarting the PC, restarting the explorer.exe or simply refreshing the desktop does get rid of them. As said before, I's nothing major but it does get quite annoying, especially after I've filled up the whole desktop space while working on something.

Is there a simple fix or explanation for this issue? I'd rather not set up the whole PC again because I am using it a lot currently.

Thanks in advance!

Windows 10 Pro installed on an NVMe.

Version 20H2 KB5001649

:)

Sebastian B. 98, Mar 25, 2021

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 25, 2021
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Mar 25, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Deleted icons, folder, shortcuts etc reappear after some time on the Desktop

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

Thema:

Deleted icons, folder, shortcuts etc reappear after some time on the Desktop

1. Deleted icons, folder, shortcuts etc reappear after some time on the Desktop - Similar Threads - Deleted icons folder

2. Desktop file or folder reappears after a reboot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop file or folder reappears after a reboot.: Dear community,I have a laptop running windows 10 Pro version 22H2.My issue is the following, every time I create a file or folder on the Desktop, if I later delete it, it will reappear on the desktop after a reboot.Some more info:Onedrive was installed but never configure,...
  3. Desktop file or folder reappears after a reboot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop file or folder reappears after a reboot.: Dear community,I have a laptop running windows 10 Pro version 22H2.My issue is the following, every time I create a file or folder on the Desktop, if I later delete it, it will reappear on the desktop after a reboot.Some more info:Onedrive was installed but never configure,...
  4. Folder Keeps Reappearing after Deletion!

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Keeps Reappearing after Deletion!: I've installed MS Flight Simulator 2020 on a separate SSD (Z:) which I managed to configure correctly on the second attempt. For some reason there is an empty Program Files folder containing an empty ModifiableWindowsApps folder. I deleted the Program Files folder by taking...
  5. Deleted folder reappears after months

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted folder reappears after months: I deleted this folder months ago, today i found it again in my download folder, its contents didnt come back only the folder. Same thing happened almost a year ago, different folder but same thing, weeks after it was deleted it come back without its content. I ran EEK,...
  6. Deleted desktop files keep reappearing after deletion

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted desktop files keep reappearing after deletion: Hi, if i delete a file, folder, .rar, etc. from my desktop and open a game, or program, the file keeps reappearing on the desktop. If i press F5 on the desktop it disappears, but it's very annoying to be pressing F5 the hole time and if i try to delete the file it tells me...
  7. Icons reappear after deleted from Desktop

Icons reappear after deleted from Desktop: When I created a file "on the desktop" videos, docs etc. then decide to delete the file, a ghost icon will reappear after opening a full screen program or signing-out. The work-a-round is easy enough: Just right click and Refresh the screen and the ghost icon disappears....
  8. Desktop icon of moved or deleted file reappears after scale change

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icon of moved or deleted file reappears after scale change: I'm seeing this on both 2004 machines. Easy to replicate: 1. Move or Copy a file onto the Desktop 2. Move or Delete the file from the Desktop 3. Change Display scale 4. Zombie file icon appears 5. Change Display scale back 6. Zombie file icon remains Easily removed with a...
  9. Files and folders reappear after deleting or moving

Files and folders reappear after deleting or moving: I have 2 places on my Windows 10 machine where folders reappear after being moved or deleted. The pictures folder and download folders have been moved from the small SSD C drive to the larger D drive. Several folders in the picture folders return to their original place...
  10. Contacts desktop shortcut keeps reappearing after being deleted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Contacts desktop shortcut keeps reappearing after being deleted: It started a few months ago. I suddenly had a "contacts" shortcut appear on my desktop so I deleted it. It was empty. The next time I came it came back. It has never stopped, I have tried to hide it in another folder, change the name or deleting the folder it was in. For some...