Windows 10: Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

Discus and support Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, so I'm by no means a tech luddite, but this one has me stumped even after trawling some forums. When I delete "some" icons from my desktop the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ScottyMac, Dec 31, 2020.

1. ScottyMac Win User

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

Ok, so I'm by no means a tech luddite, but this one has me stumped even after trawling some forums.

When I delete "some" icons from my desktop the icon does not actually disappear. It stays there on my desktop but is no longer active. I cannot click on it or interact with it in any way. The icon does disappear from the "desktop folder" however and there's no way I can see to get it off the desktop itself.

Take my screen shot for example, and look a the NetSpot icon. I deleted it. You can see it in the recycle bin, you can see it on the desktop (which I can not do anything with) but it is gone from the desktop folder.

This is the same whether I delete the file to the recycle bin or delete it permanently.

Baffled. Doesn't affect performance but means I have a range of icons (which now seem to just be part of the background) that I can not do anything with.

FYI, Win version: Windows 10, Version 2004 (build 19041.685)

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder) [​IMG]

:)

ScottyMac, Dec 31, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Dec 31, 2020
  4. Error 404 Win User

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder) :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder) - Similar Threads - Deleted icons stay

2. Desktop icons don't stay in place

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons don't stay in place: I've been keeping program and document icons on the desktop since Windows 3.1. My Windows 10 desktop shows some icons on the left side of the screen and some on the right side also. The icons on the left remain where I put them,. However, the icons on the right side get moved...
  3. Desktop Folder Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Folder Icons: I changed my desktop folder icons through properties in the folder the folder is not a shortcut. I downloaded a icon and used that and every couple minutes, the icon changes back to its default. Is there any way to fix this?...
  4. deleted desktop folder

deleted desktop folder: deleted desktop folder and this error comes please help me [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-desktop-folder/dd9aa2cc-8b6d-4d8e-b181-5934ced03c24
  5. Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop: I've been trying to delete folders on my desktop but They won't delete. Files are deleting just fine but when I try deleting a folder, it gives me this processing tab: [img] and "completes" the deletion but the folder never ends up getting deleted. It can be opened,...
  6. Camera Roll Icon on Desktop will not stay 'DELETED'!

in Windows 10 Support
    Camera Roll Icon on Desktop will not stay 'DELETED'!: For some reason, and I think it was a Win10 Update that caused it, the 'Camera Roll' Shortcut keeps coming back onto the Desktop Screen when I delete it. I read a much older post where it seemed to be linked to One Drive and a Photos App but One Drive is blocked from...
  7. Desktop Icons won't stay put...

Desktop Icons won't stay put...: Good day, everyone. I'm having a very unique issue, at least, to me, with my Windows 10 machine. I have Win 10 Pro and my desktop will flash for a split second and all my icons will have moved to wherever they wish to be. I spend more time re-organizing my desktop than I do...
  8. desktop icons won't stay in place

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icons won't stay in place: It's not the end of the world, but since a recent Windows update my desktop icons won't stay where I put them. In addition, after my computer boots up and everything is loaded, desktop icons do not appear on their own. I have to right click/view/show desktop icons....
  9. Delete desktop item but the icon stays

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete desktop item but the icon stays: Just that. I have several short cuts on the desktop, some of which are downloads. Once I have finished with the shortcut I delete it (I'm asked to confirm deletion) but the icon is still there. If I then try to delete it again I'm told that it doesn't exist or has moved....
  10. Deleting Desktop Icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Desktop Icons.: I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons. I recently got two new kinds: downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the desktop. saved .txt files got saved to the desktop with an icon. I think I've found that if I right click and delete the...