Windows 10: Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

Discus and support Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ott3r7799, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Ott3r7799 Win User

Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm trying to get those files back, they aren't on my Onedrive on the website because I never upgraded my storage space. There's about two years of work and multiple projects that I've done in those deleted files and I would really like to get them back. I checked file history and saw it wasn't on, I've tried restoring my computer to an earlier restore point, is there anything I can do?

:)

Ott3r7799, Nov 25, 2022

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Nov 25, 2022
  3. ScottyMac Win User
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I'll answer those below in number order:
    1 - Have refreshed the desktop, have run chkdsk, have run scannow, have tried to locate the desktop cache (unsure if it's still present in Windows 10), have tried locating these phantom icons in the desktop folder. All of these were completed with elevated administrator privileges.
    2 - Have clearly restarted, many times. The icons do not delete and reappear, they just do not delete at all. Well, they go to the recycle bin as you can see from the original screen shot, but NEVER actually disappear from the desktop at all, it's like they leave a permanent shadow.
    3 - Some icons have deleted correctly but I'm noticing that this is few and far between and I can't put my finger on why. Those that have been left behind include files (pdf, word, png), application shortcuts and folders.
    4 - No OS tweaks or third party apps that have been run.
    5 - Have not reinstalled the display driver yet. Could try that. Just using the onboard Intel graphics.

- - - Updated - - -

No Onedrive being used so nowhere cloud based that these icons should be living and hiding.

ScottyMac, Nov 25, 2022
  4. Try3 Win User

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

Thema:

1. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop - Similar Threads - Deleted Onedrive folder

2. Onedrive deleted my desktop kind of?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive deleted my desktop kind of?: Onedrive deleted my whole desktop somehowI am pretty annoyed with onedrive for a while now. Synchronizing my desktop folder with onedrive has led to problems in the past. So now I decided to deactivate synchronization for my desktop, next thing I know, all the folders on my...
  3. Onedrive deleted my desktop kind of?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive deleted my desktop kind of?: Onedrive deleted my whole desktop somehowI am pretty annoyed with onedrive for a while now. Synchronizing my desktop folder with onedrive has led to problems in the past. So now I decided to deactivate synchronization for my desktop, next thing I know, all the folders on my...
  4. Onedrive deleted my desktop kind of?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder: Basically what the title says... OneDrive was taking up over 5GB of storage and I didn't know why. I checked what was in the folder, the Pictures folder was definitely not in it, and decided to delete it from my laptop.Moments later, my laptop started doing funky things like...
  6. Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder

Deleted OneDrive and it deleted my Pictures folder: Basically what the title says... OneDrive was taking up over 5GB of storage and I didn't know why. I checked what was in the folder, the Pictures folder was definitely not in it, and decided to delete it from my laptop.Moments later, my laptop started doing funky things like...
  7. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop: I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm trying to get those files back, they aren't on my Onedrive on the website because I never upgraded my storage space. There's...
  8. Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop

Deleted my Onedrive folder and it deleted my entire desktop: I was trying to make more space on my computer and ended up deleting my Onedrive folder, I looked at my desktop and saw that everything was gone. I'm trying to get those files back, they aren't on my Onedrive on the website because I never upgraded my storage space. There's...
  9. Entire Desktop Deleted

Entire Desktop Deleted: Hello, I am using a Dell Inspirion 7386 on Windows 10. I downloaded this battery manager called BatteryBar Pro, which I mistakenly downloaded onto my desktop. I promptly clicked uninstall so I could redownload it to the right folder, and it ended up deleting and...
  10. Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...

Deleting One Drive folder deleted my entire desktop+files. Restoring failed and my storage...: So, this is going to be bizarre today and...please mind me, I don't know some specifics like how much space I had before. 1. Wanted to clear out some space. I was puzzled what was taking up so much gbs on my 220 gbs usable total, I believe--256 is technical laptop. I...