Windows 10: Deleted partition off external HD

Discus and support Deleted partition off external HD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an old 500GB external hard drive that I wanted to use for storing music masters. When I plugged it in, two drives showed in the "My PC" panel.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alkemy007, Apr 30, 2019.

1. alkemy007 Win User

Deleted partition off external HD

I have an old 500GB external hard drive that I wanted to use for storing music masters. When I plugged it in, two drives showed in the "My PC" panel. One for 50GB and the other for 400+. I tried to delete the partition and just have all the space on one drive but I'm guessing my father in law (who gave it to me) had it partitioned. Now, when I plug the HD in my PC it only shows WD ELEMENTS and has only the 50GB space available. I looked in disk management and the other HD space is in there but I have no idea how to get it back. Basically, I don't need to recover any files off of the HD at all, I just want it wiped clean and have the whole storage available. Any help appreciated.

:)

alkemy007, Apr 30, 2019

2. External HD Connection Problem

I have attached an external HD to my computer running Windows 10 and it will not show up in my drive list. The properties shows it as Seagate.ink - what is an ink file and any suggestions as to how I can get it to work?

ColleenTreacy, Apr 30, 2019
  3. comp99 Win User
    External HD Partition Issue

I was trying to partition an external HD in Disk Management. The HD is 3TB, and I wanted to create a new drive letter with 500 GB. After clicking on shrink, 500 GB appear
    unallocated in black color. The external HD shrunk 500 GB less, but I do not see a new 500 GB drive letter anywhere, nor did I have the option of selecting a drive letter.

How can find the 500 GB that was lost and add a drive letter to it? When right clicking on the 500GB that appear
    unallocated in Disk Management everything is grayed out except for the last two options (Properties & Help).

Thanks in advance.

comp99, Apr 30, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Help With Partition Management

If you really want your Windows to look like as if you do a fresh install and without losing what you currently have in C: Drive. Here's my suggestion:
    1. Make a complete backup image of your current HD including all partitions to an external HD using Macrium Reflect Free . Once done, disconnect all USB devices from the PC. Assuming now you only have one HD connected to the PC which you will be installing Windows.
      IMPORTANT: Also create a Macrium Rescue disk to boot from later on.
    2. Boot up your Windows installation USB/DVD. On the first screen, Hold SHIFT + F10 to open Command Windows then type:
      Diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
    3. Click Next, Choose Custom, select the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not format), when asked for Product ID key, click on "Skip this step"/"Do it later". Continue the Installation.
    4. Once done. With the external HD connected, Reboot your PC with the Macrium Rescue disk, select the image that you created in step 1 as the Source.
    5. Select your current HD/SSD as Destination disk
    6. Restore only C: Drive to it. ie. overwrite the new C: Drive with your backup C: Drive.
      NOTE: See screen shot on how to perform this step
    7. Disconnect all the external devices. Reboot. Windows should perform a startup repair.

Once finish, you should end up with the partition scheme as follows:
    1. Recovery partition - 450MB
    2. EFI System partition - 100MB
    3. MSR Reserved partition - 16MB (Hidden from Disk Management but seen by Macrium or diskpart)
    4. Your old Windows C: Drive with all the installed software.

Screen shot: Click once on #1 (C: Drive), click "Delete Existing Partition" on #2, Click & Drag #3 and drop to #1. Click Next->Finish

Deleted partition off external HD [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Deleted partition off external HD - Similar Threads - Deleted partition off

2. External HD Bitlocker partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HD Bitlocker partition.: I have an external hard drive with 2 partitions. One is protected with Bitlocker. Every time I connect the hard drive to a computer there information of the locked partition appears, hides it self behind other windows and I have to look for it an press the particular OK key...
  3. External HD Bitlocker partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HD Bitlocker partition.: I have an external hard drive with 2 partitions. One is protected with Bitlocker. Every time I connect the hard drive to a computer there information of the locked partition appears, hides it self behind other windows and I have to look for it an press the particular OK key...
  4. External HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD: External HD is recognized but does not appear in My Computer on Windows 10 PRO system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hd/d98debb3-1b03-42de-9643-d5d53ad30a5e
  5. Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup: Current Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.329) I have a secondary 3TB External USB HD. Once formatted leaves me with 2.72 TB of storage. What I would like to do is have two partitions on this physical drive. Logical Drive K which would have about 600gb and that would leave...
  6. Okay to leave EFI partition on External HD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Okay to leave EFI partition on External HD?: Hello. I am moving over from MacOS to a Windows machine. I have 3 external HD's. I formatted them from the Mac APFS fomat over to the windows NTFS format. I noticed when looking at disk management, each external drive has a 200mb EFI partition. I believe disk utility puts an...
  7. How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD: I have a Seagate 2TB external Hard Drive almost completely full of movies/videos. A friend asked if they could borrow it to view some movies on their MAC but returned it as it did not show up on their computer. I plugged it back into my PC laptop and discovered that it was...
  8. How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete EFI system partition from Seagate 2TB external HD: I have a Seagate 2TB external Hard Drive almost completely full of movies/videos. A friend asked if they could borrow it to view some movies on their MAC but returned it as it did not show up on their computer. I plugged it back into my PC laptop and discovered that it was...
  9. Deleted partition off external HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleted partition off external HD: I have an old 500GB external hard drive that I wanted to use for storing music masters. When I plugged it in, two drives showed in the "My PC" panel. One for 50GB and the other for 400+. I tried to delete the partition and just have all the space on one drive but I'm guessing...
  10. External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD: 1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD? 16269