Windows 10: Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder

Discus and support Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home. I deleted a user profile via control panel and said YES to remove the folders & files. Windows 10 removed the user, but... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by GMC7700, Oct 28, 2019.

1. GMC7700 Win User

Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder

I have Windows 10 Home.

I deleted a user profile via control panel and said YES to remove the folders & files.

Windows 10 removed the user, but the profile folder (c:\user\Joe) remains.

I tried everything I could find (including changing owner, changing permissions, etc) on the folder and I could not delete the contents (which is taking up a gig or so of space that I need)

So I created a new user with same name.

Windows gave this 2nd user profile a different (longer) name (c:\users\Joe.Desktop.[numbers]), so no change to the permissions from the original profile (c:\users\joe).

So, I again used control panel to delete this 2nd profile, and again said yes to delete all related files & folders when the profile was deleted. And - again - Windows deleted the user profile but kept all of the folders in c:\users.

So - now I have TWO folders (C:\users\joe and c:\users\joe.desktop.xxxx) that I cannot get rid of.

Whenever I try I get the you need administrator permission, and then when I select continue, it acts like it will delete and then says I don't have permission. My options are only "try again" or "cancel".

What do I have to do to delete the user profile folders and related files? I need the disc space!

And why on earth does deleting a user not also delete the related folders? Seems like a no brainer.

:)

GMC7700, Oct 28, 2019

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Oct 28, 2019
  3. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Oct 28, 2019
  4. Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder

How to completely delete the files and folders of the corrupted profile and rename the same user profile name in the newly created user profile in Windows 10?

Hello Ian,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Method 1: You can delete the files and folders from the corrupted user from
    File explorer by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open
      File explorer.

• Click on This PC located at the left side panel of the window to open the drives of the PC.

• Go to users folder by opening the
      C: drive.

• From users folder, locate the user folder you want to delete and
      press Shift + Delete keys on the keyboard.

• After the process is complete, close the window and check if the files and folders are deleted.

Method 2: I suggest you to refer to the suggestion by
    Annu Singh from the link below to rename the user profile and check if it helps.

Rename User Account Folder in Windows 10 Preview

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 28, 2019
Thema:

Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder

1. Deleted User but Cannot Remove Profile Folder - Similar Threads - Deleted User Cannot

2. user profile deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user profile deleted: I am resetting my Windows 10 laptop. Tried to clean ALL files & re-login. But it saysThe User Profile Service service failed the sign-inUser profile cannot be loaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-profile-deleted/22cf925c-474c-459a-950a-435569558fdf
  3. user profile deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    user profile deleted: I am resetting my Windows 10 laptop. Tried to clean ALL files & re-login. But it saysThe User Profile Service service failed the sign-inUser profile cannot be loaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-profile-deleted/22cf925c-474c-459a-950a-435569558fdf
  4. Delete User Profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Delete User Profile: I see a second user profile that auto pops up at the Windows Hello sign in. It asks for the username and password and I believe it's an account I accidentally created somehow. How do I delete this profile? I checked in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Manage...
  5. Delete User Profile

Delete User Profile: I see a second user profile that auto pops up at the Windows Hello sign in. It asks for the username and password and I believe it's an account I accidentally created somehow. How do I delete this profile? I checked in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Manage...
  6. Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User: Hello,I deleted an account on my laptop using the Control Panel but the user's folder under C://Users still remains. I was able to delete all the folder's contents with the exception of a few hidden files. A different error pops up every time I try to delete the entire folder...
  7. Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User

Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User: Hello,I deleted an account on my laptop using the Control Panel but the user's folder under C://Users still remains. I was able to delete all the folder's contents with the exception of a few hidden files. A different error pops up every time I try to delete the entire folder...
  8. Deleting a User Profile.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting a User Profile.: I have 2 profiles on my laptop and I want to delete the secondary one as it is no longer used. How to delete the user profile along with the data? And how to do delete while retaining the data? And will deleting a profile of 80+ Gigs improve the performance of my laptop?...
  9. "TEMP" users in the Users folder cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "TEMP" users in the Users folder cannot be deleted: [ATTACH] There are three "temporary" users listed in the Users folder on my wife's machine. These appear to be remnants from other Windows faults - there are no users on the machine other than the one belonging to my wife, "Diana". The "TEMP" folders all have a Documents...
  10. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...