Windows 10: Deleted User Still on Sign-on Page

Discus and support Deleted User Still on Sign-on Page in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm cleaning a laptop for re-sale. 1. Added a new user called Admin_ID (with admin privilege) 2. Deleted my OLD_ID (which had admin privilege) -... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gmosley, Apr 12, 2017.

1. gmosley Win User

Deleted User Still on Sign-on Page

I'm cleaning a laptop for re-sale.
    1. Added a new user called Admin_ID (with admin privilege)
    2. Deleted my OLD_ID (which had admin privilege) - chose the "delete all files" option
    3. Deleted remnants in C:\USERS\OLD_ID
    4. Re-booted
    When I get to the sign-on screen, it says "Failed - wrong Password" and my OLD_ID is showing
    When I select "another account", my OLD_ID and the new Admin_ID are both listed.
    Choosing the new Admin_ID logs me on successfully.
    How do I get rid of the OLD_ID?

:)

gmosley, Apr 12, 2017

2. Duplicate user on sign in page

This worked! Wow, thank you so much, this has been driving me crazy!

A thousand iternet points to you!

Dan5384682345934, Apr 12, 2017
  3. Duplicate user on sign in page

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your response, I followed your instructions, but there are no duplicate accounts there, and the box is already unchecked.

Dan5384682345934, Apr 12, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Did you use Control Panel, Users to remove the old login while being logged in with the new user? If so, a complete removal will prompt as to saving or deleting the old user's documents, did you get that? I did a couple last week using that process without problems. Can't use Switch User as both could be logged in at the same time.

Berton, Apr 12, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you have automatic login set up in netplwiz? Run netplwiz, make sure the box is checked for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Click apply.

You can also uncheck that box, click apply, then cancel on the next screen asking for a username and password, then apply again.

NavyLCDR, Apr 12, 2017
  6. gmosley Win User
    Berton - yes, that's exactly what I did.

NavyLCDR - as unintuitive as it is, I followed your sequence and it seems to have worked!

Thanks.

gmosley, Apr 12, 2017
  7. Jimf Win User
    I'm having this same exact issue. Deleted a user. When I reboot, at the Windows login, it comes up to the deleted user profile and password. I can sign in with a different user, but every time I reboot, it keeps coming back up. This is a Windows 10 Home computer. The netplwiz is not available in this version. Any ideas?

Jimf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Deleted User Still on Sign-on Page - Similar Threads - Deleted User Still

2. Deleted a user, but still shows user on login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted a user, but still shows user on login screen: I have deleted a user in Windows 10, but when the login screen appears, this user still is coming up first. I have removed the user using the accounts in settings, deleted all the files within the folder directory and tried to use the netplwiz tool from the run command, but...
  3. Deleted a user, but still shows user on login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted a user, but still shows user on login screen: I have deleted a user in Windows 10, but when the login screen appears, this user still is coming up first. I have removed the user using the accounts in settings, deleted all the files within the folder directory and tried to use the netplwiz tool from the run command, but...
  4. Deleted a user, but still shows user on login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Deleted User Still Showing on Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Deleted User Still Showing on Login: This is incredibly annoying. I have searched endlessly for a way to fix this problem but nothing seems to work. I purchased a PC with windows 10 pre installed. It had one user Account named 'User' I created a new users account with my Microsoft account. I decided to...
  6. User Data still there after i delete the user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Data still there after i delete the user: A few months ago I had deleted a user from my laptop. Today I just checked my users folder in my C drive, and found that all the data of that user was there, but when I saw the amount of users on my laptop, it was only mine.... Pls Help its taking up a lot of space and its...
  7. Deleted PC User Account Still Shows Up On Lock Screen Sign In

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Deleted PC User Account Still Shows Up On Lock Screen Sign In: I made a local account for my little sister. She no longer uses the account so I deleted it. However, it still shows up on the lock screen for my laptop. I saw a forum post similar to this, and rhere was an answer, but when I went to the Computer Management like the first...
  8. Deleted User Still Showing

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleted User Still Showing: File Explorer and Directory Opus Listers DO NOT show the Deleted User. When Using a sub-Browser (not sure what it's called) The Deleted User is listed with all of the sub menus! 115198
  9. Deleted User Still Showing

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted User Still Showing: File Explorer and Directory Opus Listers DO NOT show the Deleted User. When Using a sub-Browser (not sure what it's called) The Deleted User is listed with all of the sub menus! 115198
  10. Windows 10 Duplicate User on sign-in page

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Duplicate User on sign-in page: There is already an article with this subject but it says updated 18 July 2018 but all the articles are dated 2015. My question therefore is - is there any later information as all the suggestions I've read don't work....