Windows 10: Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

Discus and support Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; As the title suggests, only 9 gigabytes of disk space appear to have been freed after deleting roughly 18 gigabytes worth of old Windows files via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SpaseMonkey, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

As the title suggests, only 9 gigabytes of disk space appear to have been freed after deleting roughly 18 gigabytes worth of old Windows files via Windows Disk Cleanup. Since the Windows.old folder still exists even after the cleanup, I decided to check the folder properties to see if the folder still took up some space, but it was completely empty, save for a few empty subfolders that I didn't have permission to delete myself. I tried Disk Cleanup a second time, but it did not give me the option to delete old Windows files. Anybody got an answer for me? Please hurry. My poor SSD is suffering. It needs more games.

:)

SpaseMonkey, Dec 11, 2015

2. Windows Update Created A New Partition On My Hard Disk

Thank you for your reply. Yes I did a disk clean up and it freed a bundle of space but I can't delete the windows.old folder. It says that the folder is open in another program. I tried restarting my computer and then deleting it but it still won't let me.

Also, what about the recovery partition created on my hard disk? Is it safe to get rid of it?

Thx in advance.

Abdullateef Al-Othman, Dec 11, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Backup Error Code of 0x807800c5

Thanks all for the input. It appears that the space set aside for the backup folder did not have enough space to do the backup. Deleting a few file ranges freed up enough for me to successfully back everything up.

LarryBreit, Dec 11, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

Those empty Windows.old folders do not take up any space and if I recall correctly, they will go away eventually. As to the space usage on your SSD you have to be more precise. Best is to post a picture.

5. CmmTch Win User
    You might look at this program, Download WinDirStat I've used it in the past, it works great for seeing what's taking up space and removing those items. Removal can be done within the program too.

CmmTch, Dec 11, 2015
  6. Thanks for the replies. I did not take any screenshots on my laptop, but I tried this on my desktop with the same results- 18 gigabyte folder, 10 gigs freed. Here are the screenshots from my desktop:
    Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed [​IMG]

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed [​IMG]

CmmTch, thanks for the link. It didn't quite help me solve this particular issue, but I did find some things that I could move to my external (apple backups, old virtual machine files, etc).

SpaseMonkey, Dec 11, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    • Did you empty the recycle bin ? If not, empty it.
    • Delete the contents under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
      Those are downloaded Windows Updates files and already installed.
    • Open Admin command, copy and paste the line below then run:
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
      This should remove all the no longer used by component store. Will take a while to run.

topgundcp, Dec 12, 2015
Thema:

Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed

1. Deleted Windows.old, not enough disk space freed - Similar Threads - Deleted old enough

2. C drive space not freed after deleting a program.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive space not freed after deleting a program.: I installed a file containing 2 programs from a pirate website. After deleting one of the apps, I checked my C drive and the space wasn't freed. When I tried downloading the second program I stopped it mid through because I decided I wouldn't really need it. However it still...
  3. C drive space not freed after deleting a program.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive space not freed after deleting a program.: I installed a file containing 2 programs from a pirate website. After deleting one of the apps, I checked my C drive and the space wasn't freed. When I tried downloading the second program I stopped it mid through because I decided I wouldn't really need it. However it still...
  4. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not enough disk space for Windows update: Hi,I'm using Widows 10 64 bit on a Surface Pro2. I don't have enough disk space for Windows Update. I've connected an external disk but Windows Update doesn't see it. What can I do?Best regards...
  5. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not enough disk space for Windows update: Hi,I'm using Widows 10 64 bit on a Surface Pro2. I don't have enough disk space for Windows Update. I've connected an external disk but Windows Update doesn't see it. What can I do?Best regards...
  6. Not enough disk space for Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. OneDrive occupies hard disk space that cannot be freed

OneDrive occupies hard disk space that cannot be freed: Hi, I uploaded lots of data in OneDrive cloud, for some time some of it also got synched into the local folder of OneDrive on my HD.However after I deleted all data uploaaded into OneDrive cloud and what was in OneDrive local folder, the hard disk did not reflecte this.Now my...
  8. After uninstall disk space didn't freed up

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    After uninstall disk space didn't freed up: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 didn't free up Space after Uninstall So, i downloaded Microsoft Flight Simulator from the Xbox Game Pass. I played it for quite some time and decided to uninstall it, i right click the Flight Simulator icon on the Xbox App and clicked...
  9. C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space

C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space: My C drive is showing less than 60GB space free out of 917GB, even though I just moved nearly 150GB worth of files to the cloud (OneDrive). So it should be showing over 200GB fee. How do I get the space back? Note: I have already run Disk Cleanup....
  10. not enough disk space.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    not enough disk space.: I am trying to update windows 10 but it tells me I do not have enough disk space. I have added a flash driver and a sdhc but still says not enough disk space....