Windows 10: Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!

Discus and support Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried deleting (after copying it to another location) the %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps folder in order to perform a system restore. The restore point... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eXtremeDevil, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!

I tried deleting (after copying it to another location) the %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps folder in order to perform a system restore. The restore point gave me an WindowsApps error, so I searched the internet and found several workarounds consisting on deleting or renaming that folder.

It seemed a bit weird as I understand that folder is necessary for the normal use of the PC. But anyway, I did a copy and deleted the original after changing some permissions (I tried renaming or moving it but it would always gave my "file in use" error).

Then I tried to boot and try the restore point again but now I get a black screen at boot, with the cursor with the spinning circle as if the PC were doing some thinking.

And no, I don't want to format, thanks Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot! :)

I do have access to other PCs on the same conditions, in case I need files from it (like the WindowsApps folder).

Any ideas on how to get out of this situation?

Thanks in advance!

:)

eXtremeDevil, Aug 16, 2018
  2. jkteddy77 Win User

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, Aug 16, 2018
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot! :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot! :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 16, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

There are two tools essential tools that everyone one should always have - Macrium Reflect Free and a dishwasher. Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot! :).

cereberus, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!

1. Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot! - Similar Threads - Deleted WindowsApps folder

2. Can i delete "WindowsApps" folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can i delete "WindowsApps" folder?: I recently installed an SSD to expand my space, and now I got this folder called "WindowsApps" and I wanna delete it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-windowsapps-folder/8330a887-bf39-418c-809c-3f74c0c94a1d
  3. Can i delete "WindowsApps" folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i delete "WindowsApps" folder?: I recently installed an SSD to expand my space, and now I got this folder called "WindowsApps" and I wanna delete it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-windowsapps-folder/8330a887-bf39-418c-809c-3f74c0c94a1d
  4. Can i delete "WindowsApps" folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete 'WindowsApps' folder: I used to use the desktop Xbox app. I no longer do and it has left a 25GB folder on my drive that I can't delete. I've taken ownership of the folder, which was a hastle in the first place, but now even after taking ownership I can't delete it or it's contents. I've tried...
  6. I can't delete the windowsapps folder.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete the windowsapps folder.: I already done the instructions in the "How to delete the 'WindowsApps' folder on Windows 10" but i still cant delete the folder. When i try to delete it it says "You require permission from *****/PC (which is me) to make changes to this folder. Please help me. Here is the...
  7. Don't have access to WindowsApps folder and cant delete it.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Don't have access to WindowsApps folder and cant delete it.: I've downloaded a lot of games onto my external hard drive about 600GB from the Windows Store. I later reset my PC because I wanted to have a clean install of Windows. Now I can't access the windows apps folder that was made before the reset because it thinks it is from...
  8. Cant Delete The WindowsApps Folder In My "D: Drive"

Cant Delete The WindowsApps Folder In My "D: Drive": What Do I Need Help With? I just got a new PC, Since I Didnt Want To Spend Alot of money on a new hardrive so I just added my old 1TB Hardrive Onto my New PC... Ive had Xbox Gamepass for a while and loved it ive wanted to download Cluster Truck And Forza Horizen 4 Recently...
  9. Cant delete Program Apps and WindowsApps folder...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant delete Program Apps and WindowsApps folder...: So basically I wanted to change my default program installation folder.. In system settings I changed it to disk E. Than I changed it back and now I cant delete these 2 folders. Both have 0 bytes and when I want to delete them it says "You require permission from SYSTEM to...
  10. Can't Delete Windowsapp folder

Can't Delete Windowsapp folder: I install my windowsapp games on a separate hard drive. After reinstalling windows, I am no longer able to access or delete this folder. Most of the drive is being used by files and folders I CANNOT format or delete. So formatting the drive is not an option. I have tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windowsapps delete black screen

2. windowsapps deleted black access

3. format windows 10 wpsystem stuck

4. deleted windowsapps now pc wont boot