Windows 10: deleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive

Discus and support deleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; While trying to create a virtual machine I without thought named a file wrong. It was the iso for the VM and its name is now "win7 iso.iso". So now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ariel E37, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Ariel E37 Win User

deleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive

While trying to create a virtual machine I without thought named a file wrong. It was the iso for the VM and its name is now "win7 iso.iso".

So now its open in system, which prevents me from renaming or modifying it. at this point I'll be fine with simply deleting it. I cant delete, rename or move it.

additional note:

the file is in the F drive.

I've tried to force delete it but it doesn't work for me at least through cmd the way i tried it:

C:\Windows\system32>del F:\Libraries\Virtual Machines\win7 iso.iso

The system cannot find the file specified.

deleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive e9814ab1-a0e8-45bb-9207-d392b86269a5?upload=true.png

:)

Ariel E37, Feb 10, 2021
  2. thomaseg1 Win User

What's eating up my \C: drive?

From the list above you haven't used storage sense or disk clean.
    $GetCurrent is upgrade files which can be cleared with either .

for
    • Step 1: Press Windows+Pause Break key to open System and choose System protection.
    • Step 2: Select the hard disk whose system protection is on, and click Configure.
    • Step 3: Tap the Delete button.
    • Step 4: Choose Continue to remove all restore points on the selected drive.
    restore points (system volume)

thomaseg1, Feb 10, 2021
  3. how to delete file on c drive? need permission

i accidently save something to c drive. when i try to delete it says need admin permission. how do i delete it?

i am on a computer that dont have any account only 1 and thats me. main one is me. 1 account.

HiddenStupid, Feb 10, 2021
  4. deleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive

Unable to Delete or open folder from C:\ drive

Let's check Local Disk (Cdeleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive :) for file system errors. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click Local Disk (Cdeleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive :).
    • Click Properties.
    • On the pop-up window, click Tools tab.
    • Under Error checking, click Check button.
    • Click Scan drive.
    • Wait until scan process is finished.
    • Follow on-screen prompts.
    Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

deleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive

1. deleting a file thats open in system but not on the C drive - Similar Threads - deleting file thats

2. I cant open anything thats located in my C drive. windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant open anything thats located in my C drive. windows 10: For the past 3 days I haven't been able to open anything on my C drive. I have three drives on my computer, and my A and D drives work perfectly fine, I can open anything located inside those ones, but when I try to open any application that's on my C drive it doesn't let me....
  3. I cant open anything thats located in my C drive. windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant open anything thats located in my C drive. windows 10: For the past 3 days I haven't been able to open anything on my C drive. I have three drives on my computer, and my A and D drives work perfectly fine, I can open anything located inside those ones, but when I try to open any application that's on my C drive it doesn't let me....
  4. I cant open anything thats located in my C drive. windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot delete a file open in System

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete a file open in System: On my laptop there is a single 118 gb file, just sitting there. It does nothing except take up space, and I believe it was put there by the Xbox app. My hard drive is very low on space because of this file, taking up more than half of the space, and everything has noticeably...
  6. Will C drive and all files on the computer be deleted?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will C drive and all files on the computer be deleted?: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall/ upgrade my version of windows to the next version. I'm using the Media creation tool to upgrade my version of windows. These are the options I have. I cannot select any other options. Will this affect my files? [ATTACH] Thank you,...
  7. Delete files C Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete files C Drive: I have 6 files in my C drive. I am wondering if I can delete. If I can, what is the best way to do this? Such as in Safe Mode. See picture I have run the Disk Cleanup and rebooted and they are still there. I have Windows 10 Pro 2004 [ATTACH] I believe they were put...
  8. Deleted C drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted C drive: Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me with a big fuckup I made. I recently got a new ssd and transferred the OS onto it. Seeing how I was using the new ssd. I deleted my old C drive. Now I cannot log into my computer. I get a the choose keyboard layout screen. Not sure...
  9. Deleting ProgramData files on C drive

Deleting ProgramData files on C drive: Hello I am wondering if I can delete ProgramData files on C drive so I can free up space and help my pc run faster. I went online and saw related articles but they didn't recommend to delete them. But in ProgramData folder, there are many subfolders of Softwares that I had...
  10. delete system files on old drive

delete system files on old drive: How do I delete system files on a hard disk that is no longer the boot disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-system-files-on-old-drive/fcca3c2d-6e30-4ad0-84a0-d416759010aa"