Windows 10: Deleting an empty file that cannot be found

Discus and support Deleting an empty file that cannot be found in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; In my downloads folder, there's an empty file that I cannot delete. Whenever I try, Windows tells me that the item cannot be found. I then tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Breadstick_Bowtie, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Deleting an empty file that cannot be found

In my downloads folder, there's an empty file that I cannot delete. Whenever I try, Windows tells me that the item cannot be found.

I then tried to delete it through CMD, which then tells me that the file does not exist. I made sure the filename was right by using Tab.
    I tried deleting it in safe mode, no avail.
    I tried using an unlocker tool to forcefully delete it, but any of them say the file specified cannot be found.
    I tried overriding it with notepad or notepad++, but that just creates the exact same file, only a few bytes bigger, and deletable.
    I checked my SSD to any errors, but the check comes out clean with no issues to report.
    I cannot move the file anywhere.

I am completely clueless on what to do with it now. Does anyone have any idea?

submitted by /u/Breadstick_Bowtie
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Breadstick_Bowtie, Oct 29, 2019
  2. Alden Rey Win User

deleting hard drive files

Hi,

May we know what type of file are you trying to delete? Would it be Office documents, media files, or picture files? If you're trying to delete files for free some space on your device. We suggest to perform a Disc Cleanup. Kindly follow the steps below to
    perform the task:

• Type in Cortana Disc Cleanup
    • Choose the files to delete
    • Click on "Clean up system files"
    • Click on Ok

For any concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Oct 29, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Deleting an empty file that cannot be found

Delete and Cut Files with Preview Pane Open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Have you tried to delete the pdf file in preview panel?
    • What exactly happens when try to delete the pdf file?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.

• Select View and click on preview panel.

• Select the pdf file.

• At the right corner you will be able to see preview panel.

• You can right click on it and delete the files.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Deleting an empty file that cannot be found

1. Deleting an empty file that cannot be found - Similar Threads - Deleting empty file

2. File Not Found - Cannot Be Deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Not Found - Cannot Be Deleted: I was trying to upload a picture directly to Website, but it wouldn't due to 'file not supported,' so I tried taking a screen shot and saving to my desktop through 'Paint' which still didn't work, but somehow the picture can now neither be opened nor deleted.How do I get rid...
  3. File Not Found - Cannot Be Deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Not Found - Cannot Be Deleted: I was trying to upload a picture directly to Website, but it wouldn't due to 'file not supported,' so I tried taking a screen shot and saving to my desktop through 'Paint' which still didn't work, but somehow the picture can now neither be opened nor deleted.How do I get rid...
  4. File Not Found - Cannot Be Deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Empty system file folder on sidebar in files cannot be deleted

Empty system file folder on sidebar in files cannot be deleted: This is quite old but has been a problem for a while, i got icloud photos on my computer from the windows 10 store a while ago, I also got rid of it a while ago but these system files in the sidebar have persisted, the shortcut they take you to doesn't exist, they contain...
  6. Empty system file folder on sidebar in files cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Empty system file folder on sidebar in files cannot be deleted: This is quite old but has been a problem for a while, i got icloud photos on my computer from the windows 10 store a while ago, I also got rid of it a while ago but these system files in the sidebar have persisted, the shortcut they take you to doesn't exist, they contain...
  7. Empty system file folder on sidebar in files cannot be deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot delete or alter empty files?

Cannot delete or alter empty files?: I cannot delete a group of files because windows says they do not exist and I cannot change their name or properties. When I click on the file inside the folder I get met with a message saying it does not exist however it displays a file size that is clearly incorrect because...
  9. Zombie file cannot be deleted (access denied & file not found)

in Windows 10 Support
    Zombie file cannot be deleted (access denied & file not found): I am trying to delete a file and when I list the contents of the folder it ‘lives in, the file is visible but: When I try to erase the file or change its attributes, I get an “Access Denied” message. When I try to take ownership, I get a “File not found” message. When I try...
  10. Temporary files cannot be emptied

Temporary files cannot be emptied: Hi, My windows 10 computer is running out of space. If I look at settings -> storage ->local storage it reports over 3GB of temporary files. When I click on 'temporary files' to open it, it only shows that a few MB of files exist. Any idea why, and how I can free up this...